GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2002 Grand Prix GT Coupe is approaching 50,000 miles, and I wasn't sure what should be done, as far as preventative maintenance. I plan on having the transmission serviced, but don't really know what that entails, and I don't know what fluids should be drained and replaced. The car was bought by me last year at 40,000 miles, and was and still is in excellent condition. It has had oil changes every 3,000 miles, or less, and all maintenance required has been done, as needed.

·
Premium Member
36,586 Posts
I'm on the more conservative side of the PM scale, looking more at keeping everything tidy than saving 15 bucks by cheaping out on something.

So I'd do my ATF and filter every 30 to 40 thousand, same with radiator flush. I'd change all radiator and heating hoses at 5-6 years, ditto with PS, AC, alt etc. belts.
Battery five years unless there's a new one in there.
Tires no less than 4 or 5/32" at the baldest.

I do stretch my wiper blades, two seasons for summer and winter blades if they aren't showing any major trauma.

edit: I see you drive a GT, in 2002 that was supercharged, correct? Then I'd also do the SC oil, just because it gets ignored doesn't mean it doesn't get dirty.
If this looks like a pricey PM schedule, get mgescuro to pay for it.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see you drive a GT, in 2002 that was supercharged, correct? Then I'd also do the SC oil, just because it gets ignored doesn't mean it doesn't get dirty.
If this looks like a pricey PM schedule, get mgescuro to pay for it.
No, in 2002 the GTP had a supercharger, but I don't think it was until 2005/2006 that the GT came standard with a supercharger. Probably for the best, I get in trouble with even a N/A 3800.

And thanks, it sounds pricey, but should be worth every penny.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
The Dexcool shouldnt have to be touched till 100k miles.
Take a look at belts
Have the trans fluid changed and filter as well.
Oil
Brakes checked
Tires...5/32's? Damn man...I wish people like you came to see me. 3/32 should be the limit.
Inspect lower ball joints, tie rods, cv shafts for wear and tear, looseness, etc.
Inspect hoses...anything with a rubber, check it.
50k is also the preferd time to replace shocks/struts in a car.

·
Registered
977 Posts
There should be a maintenance schedule in your owners manual that would assist you also.

Since you bought it with 40,000 miles on it, you wouldn't know what maintenance was done on it unless you were lucky enough to have the records. If the prior owner serviced it at the dealer they would have it on their computer though.

·
Premium Member
36,586 Posts
The Dexcool shouldnt have to be touched till 100k miles.
Take a look at belts
Have the trans fluid changed and filter as well.
Oil
Brakes checked
Tires...5/32's? Damn man...I wish people like you came to see me. 3/32 should be the limit.
Inspect lower ball joints, tie rods, cv shafts for wear and tear, looseness, etc.
Inspect hoses...anything with a rubber, check it.
50k is also the preferd time to replace shocks/struts in a car.
I consider hydroplane checks an important test.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There should be a maintenance schedule in your owners manual that would assist you also.

Since you bought it with 40,000 miles on it, you wouldn't know what maintenance was done on it unless you were lucky enough to have the records. If the prior owner serviced it at the dealer they would have it on their computer though.
I don't exactly know about the maintenance from the previous owner, but the car itself was practically spotless. And she had the engine compartment rustproofed, so I assume she was very anal about car care.

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
I would probably check the spark plugs to see how they are doing.

The plugs are likely a PITA, though.

After owning a Ford Taurus, I vowed to never buy a transversely mounted V6 car ever again.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
I would probably check the spark plugs to see how they are doing.

The plugs are likely a PITA, though.

After owning a Ford Taurus, I vowed to never buy a transversely mounted V6 car ever again.
Tell you the truth, the 3.0 OHV in my 95 was by far the easiest spark plug replacement I have ever done. I had to climb on top of the engine, but man, it was easy.
Easier then my old 87 Z was, easier then my 72, and so far easier then my Caprice.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Tell you the truth, the 3.0 OHV in my 95 was by far the easiest spark plug replacement I have ever done. I had to climb on top of the engine, but man, it was easy.
Easier then my old 87 Z was, easier then my 72, and so far easier then my Caprice.
You would be so mad if you ever had a 4 banger especially transverse and SOHC, they are just sitting there, looking straight at you :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
You would be so mad if you ever had a 4 banger especially transverse and SOHC, they are just sitting there, looking straight at you :D
My Saturn SC1 and Plymouth Reliant certainly were. :yup: Now I've gotta do the 4.8L on my Silverado :( Not as easy. Though, hopefully easier than my 2.8L and 4.3L S-10s. :eek: They weren't tough either.

To the OP, there's lots of great suggestions so far, and I'd add that switching to synthetic and following your Oil Life Monitor isn't a bad idea. :yup: I like Mobil1.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.