GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apple's Automotive Team Includes Former Tesla, Ford and GM Employees

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/02/19/apple-automotive-team-profile/

Apple's alleged automotive team consisting of hundreds of employees working on an electric vehicle includes several former Tesla, Ford and GM employees, according to 9to5Mac. The report reveals that Apple has also recruited talent from smaller firms in the automotive industry and other fields, including A123 Systems, MIT Motorsports, Ogin, Autoliv, Concept Systems and General Dynamics.

The list of recent hires from Tesla includes David Nelson, a mechanical engineering manager at the car maker until this month, and John Ireland, previously a senior powertrain test engineer at the company. Tesla's former head recruiter Lauren Ciminera also joined Apple in September and is likely responsible for recruiting additional engineers for the automotive team. The trio of hires surface just weeks after it was reported that Apple and Tesla continue to fight over top employees.

Another notable hire is Mujeeb Ijaz, who most recently served as chief technology officer at A123 Systems. Ijaz led a team responsible for research and development for the company's leading lithium-ion energy storage technology. Prior to that, he worked at Ford as an electric and fuel cell vehicle engineering manager for nearly sixteen years. The hiring adds fuel to yesterday's report that Apple faces a lawsuit for poaching key employees from A123 Systems.

·
Registered
44,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I still think this is a completely insane idea for Apple to even attempt at building a car.
Their simplest solution is to buy Tesla.

But Apple is up to something! And chances are, it's not a self-driving minivan. My ex-boss, who has been in that minivan, doesn't have the full story, but one thing he's sure of, it's not a self-driving car.

·
Registered
44,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
http://www.cnbc.com/id/102440794

Apple aims to begin production of electric car by 2020

Apple is looking to begin production of an electric vehicle as early as 2020, according to Bloomberg, citing people with knowledge of the matter.

Automakers typically spend five to seven years developing a car, underscoring the aggressive timeline for the new venture, Bloomberg said.

Apple's foray into the auto sector, which has remained largely under the radar, marks a significant departure for the company, known for its consumer technology business.

Despite several media reports around an Apple car, there's no official word from the company confirming that it is developing an electric vehicle. Apple declined to comment when contacted by CNBC about the production timeline.

Typically, the cost of developing a car-making facility would run in the neighborhood of $1 billion, while Apple's cash reserves are around $178 billion in cash.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I still think this is a completely insane idea for Apple to even attempt at building a car.
Their simplest solution is to buy Tesla.

But Apple is up to something! And chances are, it's not a self-driving minivan. My ex-boss, who has been in that minivan, doesn't have the full story, but one thing he's sure of, it's not a self-driving car.
My thoughts exactly. Maybe they're just flexing and intend on making a move on Tesla.

·
Registered
44,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Who the Hell would want them? Do you know how long it would take Apple to figure out which VPs were useless and fire them? Then what would they do with the remaining 10%?
Do you know anyone who works at Apple HQ??

Everyone who is hired into Apple is hired on a conditional basis -- including VP's and C-Level.
At 3 months, if you're not panning out or working well with peers or have trouble fitting in in other ways or can't adapt to the 24 hr schedule.... you're out!!

One of the highest profile victims of that Apple "rule?" The previous head of Apple Retail. He lasted about 3 months.

My best friend, one of the smartest and sharpest person I know, was brought to the breaking point by Apple's corporate culture and work schedule. He had to take a leave of absence to regain his wits.
If you think it's all fun and games working at Apple, you have another thing coming.

I can be out at a restaurant or bar with my friends, and they'll have to step outside and take a conference call at 10pm or later.

Apple's a very tight ship.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Do you know anyone who works at Apple HQ??

Everyone who is hired into Apple is hired on a conditional basis -- including VP's and C-Level.
At 3 months, if you're not panning out or working well with peers or have trouble fitting in in other ways or can't adapt to the 24 hr schedule.... you're out!!

One of the highest profile victims of that Apple "rule?" The previous head of Apple Retail. He lasted about 3 months.

My best friend, one of the smartest and sharpest person I know, was brought to the breaking point by Apple's corporate culture and work schedule. He had to take a leave of absence to regain his wits.
If you think it's all fun and games working at Apple, you have another thing coming.

I can be out at a restaurant or bar with my friends, and they'll have to step outside and take a conference call at 10pm or later.

Apple's a very tight ship.
That's business as usual in the Information Technology industry. Anything goes wrong - BOOM - you are gone. I know. I spent 30 years in IT and it was gruelling beyond description. Take a late phone call? You're kidding. I lost count of how many all-nighters I worked. People who take late phone calls still get to go to bed. People who work all-nighters don't.

A friend of mine worked for an unnamed IT manufacturer. She was told to meet her boss at an inconveniently located coffee shop in a very large city at 5 AM. She was there at the appointed hour. He showed up at EXACTLY 5 AM. He sat down and told her he was just confirming her commitment to the job. He then got up and immediately walked out.

Another guy I competed with won half of a $30 million computer storage procurement. His manager accompanied him to meet the client post RFP and told the client that he wanted the whole deal. The client refused, as design characteristics for one manufacturer's product suited half the requirement, and another competing product suited their other needs. The manager told the client (in front of the sales rep) either they would get the entire procurement or he would fire their salesman on the spot. The client refused. The two sales executives returned to their office, where the salesman was processed out of the company. Failure - even a partial failure - is not an option. That company fired at least 20% of their very highly paid, successful sales force each year. It was their motivation plan.

That, ladies and gentlemen is the IT industry.

Someone took a call at 10 PM? Oooooohhhhhhh! Scary!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

The auto industry? GM? Please. F*** up as a GM exec and they just promote you. You float around for years - no, decades - working on "special assignments" or pet projects for one of the seeming thousands of VPs. Who do nothing but go to meetings with each other. For decades. Until they retire.

Guess which company tolerates failure? Guess which company says good enough is good enough (when it clearly isn't)? Guess which company had a guy running an iconic GM brand whose moniker was "Amway Bob?" In related news, guess which iconic luxury GM brand hasn't brought a new CUV to market in ten years, a time during which Audi (just one example) has introduced three successful new CUVs where they once had none? Guess which iconic GM luxury brand didn't fire anyone who slept at his desk while allegedly running this somnolent division for that lost decade?

Guess which company went broke once? So far.

The problem with GM is the culture of management mediocrity that permits - no, encourages - these execuclowns to underperform for decades. These slackers wouldn't make it through probation in ANY IT COMPANY.

Pathetic.

·
Registered
44,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's business as usual in the IT industry. Anything goes wrong - BOOM - you are gone. I know. I spent 30 years in IT and it was gruelling beyond description. Take a late phone call? You're kidding. I lost count of how many all-nighters I worked. People who take late phone calls still get to go to bed. People who work all-nighters don't.

A friend of mine worked for EMC. She was told to meet her boss at an inconveniently located coffee shop in a very large city at 5 AM. She was there at the appointed hour. He showed up at EXACTLY 5 AM. He sat down and told her he was just confirming her commitment to the job. He then got up and immediately walked out. That, ladies and gentlemen is the IT industry.
My friends aren't in IT. They're in Product and Finance and Operations divisions. There is no company like Apple in the dedication of the people working there. While you are VERY well taken care of, they demand 120% of your time and dedication. If you can't cut it, you're pretty much gone.

Someone took a call at 10 PM? Oooooohhhhhhh! Scary!!!!!!!!!!!
I do it all the time. Skype helps, so I don't actually have to hop on a call. What is worse is the 4 or 5am calls with Europe. I'm terrible in the morning. I'd rather do a 12 or 1am call because I'm actually still awake. But those calls are usually reserved for the Shanghai office.

The problem with Apple making a car, isn't with Apple. It's with the competition fighting a battle with a company with nearly unlimited resources and a quest to iterate product faster than anything Detroit or Germany or Japan can muster.

But this remains a VERY questionable idea on Apple's part, assuming that they are really developing a car. (Which I still think they're not doing.)
If they want to get into the car business, fine. Buy Tesla and be done with it. Make Musk Chairman.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Of course Apple wants to have a cut from what's considered the biggest consumer market (to most people, as a consumer product, the car still forms the single largest purchase and expense). The other major reason I see is: people are either sitting at a desk doing their thing, using all sorts of communication and information technology... or they are en route, between places. Why not cater to people underway between A and B.

So far, car makers decide what sort of new (connectivity) technology they want to integrate. Google and Apple will turn this around. They can afford to make their pick what sort of vehicle and car maker will fit their bill.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
The problem with Apple making a car, isn't with Apple. It's with the competition fighting a battle with a company with nearly unlimited resources and a quest to iterate product faster than anything Detroit or Germany or Japan can muster.
To a high performance, successful Type A IT company like Apple, people are one of the unlimited resources. No, these people aren`t unlimited in number, they are unlimited in their commitment, their dedication, their refusal to submit or accept second rate effort, their inability to accept failure. Are GM executives the same...I definitely don`t think so.

Once upon a time a developer came to Steve Jobs to inform him that his project was finished. Jobs asked him if the work was the best he could do. The developer said it was very good and he was proud of his work. Jobs immediately handed the project back to him and told him to bring it back when it was the best work he could do. He did. That is the difference between Apple and the auto industry.

Does that sound like GM...

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
My friends aren't in IT. They're in Product and Finance and Operations divisions. There is no company like Apple in the dedication of the people working there. While you are VERY well taken care of, they demand 120% of your time and dedication. If you can't cut it, you're pretty much gone.
Think what GM would accomplish if executives were held accountable for their performance. Like Apple. Think what GM would accomplish if their executives were aware that anything less than 120% was unacceptable. Like Apple. Think what GM could accomplish if every member of the executive team was given what the IT industry calls `stretch goals.` Like Apple.

Employees at GM are well taken care of. Like Apple. But the overperformance and the dedication don`t flow back the same way it does at Apple. Solve that and you unleash GM`s true potential.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
to me APPLE does NOT want to be a builder of stuff BUT a disrupter of the norm /the creator of a NEW product SEGMENT AND have the whole "ECOSYSTEM"
I just wonder what they can even bring to the CAR segment other then a lot of R/D cash

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
will the gear selector mimic this?

·
Premium Member
36,289 Posts

·
Registered
19,265 Posts

I do it all the time. Skype helps, so I don't actually have to hop on a call. What is worse is the 4 or 5am calls with Europe. I'm terrible in the morning. I'd rather do a 12 or 1am call because I'm actually still awake. But those calls are usually reserved for the Shanghai office.

But this remains a VERY questionable idea on Apple's part, assuming that they are really developing a car. (Which I still think they're not doing.)
If they want to get into the car business, fine. Buy Tesla and be done with it. Make Musk Chairman.
Musk would never chair Apple.

If they do build an Apple Car that's even remotely reasonable, I would absolutely get one. What sort of car would be an "Apple" car, though?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts