GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Hear ye, Hear Ye, you take GM/Chevrolet to mean Chevrolet, it’s used in the context of ‘automaker’. Do you really want to be BMW competing with Apple and offering apple software and giving apple access to your data in and your customers?
I totally get the keyboard warrior Calvary thing, however, the folks at RenGen and and OnStar, Mercedes’ Benz, Jaguar, Ford certainly must be looking at the apple and wondering, do we really want to give these people acces to our customer vehicle use data as they sell products right alongside us?
But, I do admire your keyboard war skills. Apple may want to be in the car business, however, they can kiss apple car play goodbye
You are making absolutely no sense. A few years ago, Ford offered Microsoft-developed Sync in its vehicles. Sync was a disaster. However, if it has been well-programmed and worked well with the vehicles that featured it, then I would have had no issue.

That said, you appear to object to Car Play while having no real understanding of what Car Play is or does. Don't project your lack of understanding into GM or BMW. They understand the technology. Car Play does not access manufacturer customer data on the car. Virtually all data in Car Play is on the driver's phone. Car allows the phone linked to the car to act as a remote display for the phone. Of course, many vehicles synchronize phone data with the phone over BlueTooth. However, this has nothing to do with Car Play or Android Auto or even smart phones. Any BlueTooth-enable phone can do this. All that is happening is that the car and the phone are synchronizing contact lists and call logs. The phone does not have to be a smart phone. BlueTooth-enabled flip phones can do this and have done this since BlueTooth became available.

·
Premium Member
36,148 Posts
You are making absolutely no sense. A few years ago, Ford offered Microsoft-developed Sync in its vehicles. Sync was a disaster. However, if it has been well-programmed and worked well with the vehicles that featured it, then I would have had no issue.

That said, you appear to object to Car Play while having no real understanding of what Car Play is or does. Don't project your lack of understanding into GM or BMW. They understand the technology. Car Play does not access manufacturer customer data on the car. Virtually all data in Car Play is on the driver's phone. Car allows the phone linked to the car to act as a remote display for the phone. Of course, many vehicles synchronize phone data with the phone over BlueTooth. However, this has nothing to do with Car Play or Android Auto or even smart phones. Any BlueTooth-enable phone can do this. All that is happening is that the car and the phone are synchronizing contact lists and call logs. The phone does not have to be a smart phone. BlueTooth-enabled flip phones can do this and have done this since BlueTooth became available.
I understand that, Microsoft is not selling cars alongside Ford. Neither is Google. I understand that Apple CarPlay Data is off the phone, not the vehice, however, you seem to be naive, Do you for one moment think there is no additional customer behaviour data garnered from apple car play that is worth revenue to both OEM and the software companies. Apple made apple carplay out of the goodness of their hears, just for Bluetooth connectivity.. yeah…

lol

Why would an auto manufacturer allow a competitor brand into their own vehicles? Do you see Tesla branded software in a Ford or Canoe Or BMW?
I don’t see how apple keeps good relationships with OEM’s even as they enter their space. It might not make sense for you.
What is so difficult to understand that once apple becomes an automaker, other automakers are not going to be so friendly?

As well, non-smart-person, using your idiotic logic, manufacturers would also dump android auto, because google is also working on making an auto-driving car....
Mr. Smartie Davestar, Google is working on technology to become an auto supplier, not an automaker. Apple is trying to become an automaker.

Google Efforts I believe morphed into Wymo…GM and Tesla is kicking their behind FYI

what is with these keyboards that make lefties feel like they are the smartest people in the forum? Idiotic logic while one is having difficulty understanding basic conversations

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I understand that, Microsoft is not selling cars alongside Ford. Neither is Google. I understand that Apple CarPlay Data is off the phone, not the vehice, however, you seem to be naive, Do you for one moment think there is no additional customer behaviour data garnered from apple car play that is worth revenue to both OEM and the software companies. Apple made apple carplay out of the goodness of their hears, just for Bluetooth connectivity.. yeah…

Making it clear that I don't share your paranoia seems to hurt your feelings. Sorry.

·
Registered
365 Posts

lol

Why would an auto manufacturer allow a competitor brand into their own vehicles? Do you see Tesla branded software in a Ford or Canoe Or BMW?
I don’t see how apple keeps good relationships with OEM’s even as they enter their space. It might not make sense for you.
What is so difficult to understand that once apple becomes an automaker, other automakers are not going to be so friendly?

Mr. Smartie Davestar, Google is working on technology to become an auto supplier, not an automaker. Apple is trying to become an automaker.

Google Efforts I believe morphed into Wymo…GM and Tesla is kicking their behind FYI

what is with these keyboards that make lefties feel like they are the smartest people in the forum? Idiotic logic while one is having difficulty understanding basic conversations
Google/Alphabet/Waymo already has their own automous vehicles on the street, taking fares. So they ALREADY are competition, vs a possible future competitor if Apple does make a vehicle available.

·
Premium Member
36,148 Posts
Google/Alphabet/Waymo already has their own automous vehicles on the street, taking fares. So they ALREADY are competition, vs a possible future competitor if Apple does make a vehicle available.
It’s a taxi from Chrysler. A mother van with wires inside And a PC.
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Plus it doesn’t work very well
Basically glorified supercruise

Making it clear that I don't share your paranoia seems to hurt your feelings. Sorry.
You have nothing to be sorry for. Just calm down. This is a forum

·
Registered
365 Posts
Does it matter if Waymo is going it alone or in a partnership with a manufacturer? Whatever data Google is currently extracting from how/where/what people drive using AndroidAuto feeds into Waymo's existing, shipping setup.

This, according to mr.smrt is supposed to be reason enough for everyone else to punt Android Auto today, if they are going to eventually punt Apple Carplay if/when Apple eventually ships "iCar".

Or is it just that Google ships crap, so it's NBD, as even once Apple shows them how to do it, they still can only half-ass it like with iOS/Android, so manufacturers will only punt Apple because Apple's iCar will actually be a good product that people will flock to use/buy?

·
Premium Member
36,148 Posts
Does it matter if Waymo is going it alone or in a partnership with a manufacturer? Whatever data Google is currently extracting from how/where/what people drive using AndroidAuto feeds into Waymo's existing, shipping setup.

This, according to mr.smrt is supposed to be reason enough for everyone else to punt Android Auto today, if they are going to eventually punt Apple Carplay if/when Apple eventually ships "iCar".

Or is it just that Google ships crap, so it's NBD, as even once Apple shows them how to do it, they still can only half-ass it like with iOS/Android, so manufacturers will only punt Apple because Apple's iCar will actually be a good product that people will flock to use/buy?
Google is not positioned as an automaker, apple is going to be positioned as an automaker. Now, Would Ford be eager to use Borg Warner Components if there were Borg Warner Auto Dealerships selling ‘Warner’ cars next to Ford dealers.
Probably yeah… like, buy My Ford, but it’s got a Borg Warner turbo and transmission as well as seats… But, you are probably right, let’s see how it plays out if there is an iCar.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts