1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bloomberg News
May 3, 2022 11:54AM

Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Bumper Font Rectangle

Apple Inc. has recruited a longtime Ford Motor Co. executive who helped lead safety efforts and vehicle engineering, a sign the iPhone maker is again ramping up development of an electric car.

The tech giant hired Desi Ujkashevic for the car project, according to people with knowledge of the matter. Ujkashevic had worked at Ford since 1991, most recently serving as its global director of automotive safety engineering. Before that, she helped oversee engineering of interiors, exteriors, chassis and electrical components for many Ford models.

·
Registered
20,740 Posts
Ha. I paid out my ass for a MacBook Pro in college that basically bricked itself after less than two years and swore off Apple forever.
Funny... I'm pro-Apple at the same time I'm anti-Apple. I'd never buy one of their laptops as it looks to me like a Window's computer can do the same thing at half the price. So I'm a windows guy except for the phone. My real criteria is "American". There are no American branded phones except for Apple. But with laptops I can buy a Dell run with Windows, both American brands (and yes, I know none are manufactured in the USA). But if there weren't any American brand laptops other than Apple, I'd suck it up and pay double the cost for an Apple laptop.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Smile Motor vehicle Product Automotive tire Jaw

Time to dust off this classic

·
Registered
44,831 Posts
Ha. I paid out my ass for a MacBook Pro in college that basically bricked itself after less than two years and swore off Apple forever.
Sounds like User Error to me.
I have never bricked my Macs, and they all last me 8+ years. My iMac is 8 years old and has some life left in it. IT runs the current OS (Monterey) just fine. It's slow to boot on restart, but once it's running it's perfectly fine. I never turn it off anyways and wake from sleep is instant.

I haven't been at a job that has required me to have a PC since 2008. Thank goodness for that!

·
Registered
44,831 Posts
I honestly don't know what Apple is trying to achieve here.
It's like they're trying to launch a new product segment without actually understanding the market. It kinda baffles me here. They're better than that.

At best, it's going for a niche market as well. So, it'll compete with the Sony EV?
And what kind of volumes are they expecting here?

If they really want to enter this market, their best bet is to acquire Lucid and call it a day.

·
Super Moderator
21,186 Posts
Sounds like User Error to me.
I have never bricked my Macs, and they all last me 8+ years. My iMac is 8 years old and has some life left in it. IT runs the current OS (Monterey) just fine. It's slow to boot on restart, but once it's running it's perfectly fine. I never turn it off anyways and wake from sleep is instant.

I haven't been at a job that has required me to have a PC since 2008. Thank goodness for that!
I mean I'm not sure how basic computing for a college student constitutes "user error." The HP that replaced it my senior year still runs today 9 years later. I paid less for the HP and got a vastly better performing PC.

For some reason Apple fans are in the same vein as Tesla fans in that it's never the company's or product's fault and the denial that there are indeed vastly better products out there.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
It's like they're trying to launch a new product segment without actually understanding the market. It kinda baffles me here. They're better than that.

At best, it's going for a niche market as well. So, it'll compete with the Sony EV?

If they really want to enter this market, their best bet is to acquire Lucid and call it a day.
I am cooling my heels on this one. Rumors of an Apple Car have been out there for years now. And, for years, people have talked about the Apple Car as though Apple were going to announce it tomorrow. And nothing happened.

Well, not nothing nothing. Apple has hired people and Apple has let them go. After all of these years, all that we have seen is Apple Car Play. I love Apple Car Play. I digress....

The rumors died down and then they came back to life. The reanimated rumors had Apple building an autonomous vehicle. But, whatever the rumor, these rumors seem constructed of misinformation by people who just don't get Apple. Apple on occasion has goofed. For the past few decades, Apple has been remarkably consistent. One of the things that Apple does is to extensively test prototypes of new products in the real world. Some of these test products end up on eBay after an engineer leaves a prototype on BART. The prototype may be cobbled together with duck tape or it may appear to be production ready. However, Apple may decide that it is an idea whose time has not yet come at any stage of development.

Apple can be expected to follow the same steps in the development process of a new car that it followed in the development of the iPhone, the Apple Watch, or the Apple Silicon M1 SOC. I find it telling that there are no photographs or videos of anything that can be construed the prototype of an Apple Car.

·
Registered
365 Posts

WTF? How can you say they don't understand the market, or what it's compete against, or how it works, or they have to do X, when they have said NOTHING about their car, how it works, how it looks, what it costs, when it will be for sale, what features it will have.

You sound like what Bill Gates said AFTER the iPhone was first announced, only without any money or business experience to back it up.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Apple just wants apple car play kicked out of other vehicles and then you will see an Android Chevrolet browser and phone
There are so many things wrong with this comment that it is not funny. Android Auto has been around for nearly a decade. It originally used the same infotainment app in 2016 Chevy as Apple Car Play. In my 2020 Chevy, it Car Play and Android Auto use their own dedicated apps. Car Play is now supported by almost every significant automobile manufacturer on Earth from Rolls Royce to Chery, two motorcycle manufacturers--Indian and Honda--plus numerous third-party infotainment systems. If Apple no longer wants Car Play to be available in Chevys, then it can terminate its contract with GM or end development of Car Play. If GM no longer wants to offer Car Play, then it can simply terminate its contract with Apple. There is certainly no reason for either party to go all around Job's barn to end Apple and GM's contract.

As for the "threat" of GM going Android exclusively with Android, there is nothing to stop GM from doing that now--except sound business judgment. However, Android is not GM's only option if it were to make that decision. The myChevrolet infotainment system in my 2020 Chevy has OTA apps--some of the same apps that are available on the Android App Store. What is more, GM is basing its digital thrust on a distribution of Linux. Google's Chrome OS are is a Chrome browser-based UI on Linux. I am betting that GM takes a more efficient route.

·
Premium Member
36,155 Posts
There are so many things wrong with this comment that it is not funny. Android Auto has been around for nearly a decade. It originally used the same infotainment app in 2016 Chevy as Apple Car Play. In my 2020 Chevy, it Car Play and Android Auto use their own dedicated apps. Car Play is now supported by almost every significant automobile manufacturer on Earth from Rolls Royce to Chery, two motorcycle manufacturers--Indian and Honda--plus numerous third-party infotainment systems. If Apple no longer wants Car Play to be available in Chevys, then it can terminate its contract with GM or end development of Car Play. If GM no longer wants to offer Car Play, then it can simply terminate its contract with Apple. There is certainly no reason for either party to go all around Job's barn to end Apple and GM's contract.

As for the "threat" of GM going Android exclusively with Android, there is nothing to stop GM from doing that now--except sound business judgment. However, Android is not GM's only option if it were to make that decision. The myChevrolet infotainment system in my 2020 Chevy has OTA apps--some of the same apps that are available on the Android App Store. What is more, GM is basing its digital thrust on a distribution of Linux. Google's Chrome OS are is a Chrome browser-based UI on Linux. I am betting that GM takes a more efficient route.
Hear ye, Hear Ye, you take GM/Chevrolet to mean Chevrolet, it’s used in the context of ‘automaker’. Do you really want to be BMW competing with Apple and offering apple software and giving apple access to your data in and your customers?
I totally get the keyboard warrior Calvary thing, however, the folks at RenGen and and OnStar, Mercedes’ Benz, Jaguar, Ford certainly must be looking at the apple and wondering, do we really want to give these people acces to our customer vehicle use data as they sell products right alongside us?
But, I do admire your keyboard war skills. Apple may want to be in the car business, however, they can kiss apple car play goodbye

1 - 20 of 30 Posts