GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if someone has already mentioned this, but Motor Trend has an interesting cover story comparo this month: Pontiac GTO vs. Mercedes-Benz CLK55. Anyone seen it?

I read the article briefly while at the store, and I was pleased with MT's approach and their whole take on this kind of seemingly mismatched comparison.

The general gist of the article was that, even though you could buy two GTO's for the price of one CLK55, the Pontiac is actually competitive. I'm not surprised that someone would come to that conclusion, but I'm shocked that Motor Trend would actually figure that out.

There was a great line in the concluding paragraph of the article, something like "The GTO might not be better than the Mercedes, but it's 90% as good for 50% the price". Wow!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Even if I had money for CLK I would buy two GTOs :)
One would be black,the next one yellow
I can't decide which color I like better :))))))))))

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Agreed....two GTOs are better anyday. Make mine the deep blue with blue interior and black with red interior.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
yeah, I have that article. There is also a 2 page article on the Velite.
MT liked the GTO when they tested it last year. Only person that had less then good things to say about it was C&D....as usual. MT a much better mag then C&D.

The GTO finished just behind the AMG performance tuned CLK55. Imagine if there was some better upgrades for the GTO? brakes, stiffer suspension, and an LS2 would but this car right up next to the CLK55. Or if they tested the CLK500 vs the GTO, that would have been closer to the mark.
They also had a side profile shot of them going nose to nose.... they look very similar.

·
Registered
174 Posts
MT rocks, C/D is ok , they are just so damn picky. If it doesnt have a Honda badge on it then it sucks, I am subscribed to both though, oddly enough

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
The Mercedes was supercharged too....I agree that the comparison with the CLK 500 would probably been a little beter comparison.

For the CLK55's price I would take a GTO and a GMC Envoy.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by MCGARRETT@Apr 9 2004, 07:54 PM
The Mercedes was supercharged too....I agree that the comparison with the CLK 500 would probably been a little beter comparison.

For the CLK55's price I would take a GTO and a GMC Envoy.
no, there isnt a supercharged model. It was just a 5.4 liter engine. It put out something like 365? If it was the supercharged...well, that would have been a much different story. And the CLK doesnt even have a 6spd as an option. Your stuck with the 5spd auto. The numbers from the GTO could have been better.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Even if I have ripped the GTO on its styling, I would surely purchase one and pocket the other 35 grand. Performance-wise, I have no objections over the GTO.
But that is serious money to be saved.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
who has money for a clk55 would never consider to buy a pontiac... probably not even a vette, maybe a bmw!

I for one if I'd had the money for a gto I'd get a late T/A ws6 convertible instead...

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have this magazine and this artcle rocked. I took it to school and showed it to a bunch of people. I think the GTO looked awesome.

·
Registered
286 Posts
If I had a choice between a CLK & a GTO, I`d pick the CLK. Sure the GTO has great performance, but it looks like a 2door grand am.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts