GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The mere sight of this mainstay in my car leads to uncontrollable urges to rush to the local audio shop and have it swapped out.

For some reason, 90% of GMs cars and trucks get the unit above or one of 2 other similar looking choices....

Does AC Delco or GM generic radios inc. or whoever even have an R&D department or designers still on the payroll? I've seen this thing for the last 5 years I think. The 2004 Malibu, on the other hand, has a nicely integrated unit (I have no idea if I could swap it out even if I wanted to though...) I think the Caddy CTS is the same.

http://gallery.domestictunerz.com/categori...s.php?cat_id=49

Now compare to the 2003 Mazda 6's radio unit. Not an extremely expensive car or anything:

And a 50 dollar radio at WalMart:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp...4%3A3983%3A4527

Now, believe it or not, the Chevy SSR I sat in had the radio in the top photo, or something similar to it. Why does the Mazda 6 get such a nice looking unit, and the SSR get a cheap-o krapmaster unit like that? Parts bin sharing? OK, I'm down with cost reduction. But GM needs to develop an interchangeable head unit that LOOKS MODERN. If WalMart can make even 20 dollar radios that look more up to date....please. Bob Lutz once said the "interior seals the deal", I believe. Somehow the radio got overlooked...or shoved in last minute by a beancounter.

How much can a little chrome and silver paint cost anyway?

:microwave:

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Gotta love GMT Radios...man they are pretty bad...GM needs some help with the radios, even some of the caddies turn my off...

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Yes, I too think GM needs a radio overhall, but the Malibu is nicely done!! DCX radios are worse than GM's though...

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I'd rather see them replace the turn signal/cruise/wiper multi-lever with something newer than early 80's style. My 89 has the same as my 01. That's messed up.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Originally posted by demonspeed@Nov 22 2003, 03:10 PM
I'd rather see them replace the turn signal/cruise/wiper multi-lever with something newer than early 80's style. My 89 has the same as my 01. That's messed up.
yeah, those too need replaced, but Gm is slowly changing them <_<

·
Registered
252 Posts
Integrated head units look a lot nicer but are a PITA to replace with aftermarket units. I own a Mazda 6 and love the styling of the center stack but it in next to impossible to fit a better head unit in the dash. The one in the Malibu has the info center and climate controls integrated into it and probably CAN"T be replaced unless an aftermarket supplier creates a harness or kit to make something work.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I agree. Especially in the Pontiacs, the squared edges seem so out of place with the styling of the rest of the dash.
Styling and the way all automakers change it is interesting. Note on the Chevy Monte Carlos that the ignition key is in the dash and not the column.
Even worse is Honda's CR-V of which the transmission is not on the column but on the dash. You pull it up and down depending upon what postition you want it. Now, that looks stupid and is really awkward. A Honda salesman said that prospective buyers grab the windshield washer stick on the column when taking the car for a test drive. But since it is a Honda, it gets away with it.
It's like wide ties versus narrow ties. One is in one year followed by the other in years to follow.
Now, if it was an assembly issue, one style would be better than the other always.

When comparing the 04 MC to other cars, I found the 03 Sebring coupe to have a nicer dash. And the car mag writers think that it is unappealing. Put it in a foreign car though, and it is the essence of design simplicity and elegance.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
I forgot, I saw the owner of our local Chevrolet dealer, she was in a 2004 Sabuurban Z71, and it had LCD screens in the back of the headrests....

It wasn't aftermarket either ;)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
think the 1999+ gm cars that have oil monitors(warning light at startup tells you to its time for oil change), requires you use factory radio to reset it. this is main reason why swapping those gm radio's is more difficult then it should be. requires you use a relocation harness to move factory radio to trunk, allowing room to put aftermarket radio in dash. and when your oil monitor warning light comes on, and you do oil change, you'd have to go to factory radio in trunk to reset. pisses me off!! also, they work with the factory installed Onstar, and swapping radio would make you loose that. think radio actually controls alot of your warning lights too.

·
Registered
248 Posts
That's what my dad said about Mom's 2k Impala. I wanted to get a CD radio for her car, but then my dad told me what is controlled by the radio...:wacko:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I have done alot of reading on the gm radio. You lose alot of feature controls by getting rid of it. Including being able to program your own key fobs. I have a friend with a 02 Trailblazer and after he replaced his radio none of hte tones work. like he would leave the keys in the ingition and open the door and there would be no sound. Also you lose those steering wheels controls which you paid 350 for

One idea i always thought about was to use the peice that is equiped in cars with the radio delete option for the sounds but dont know if it would work.

I like keeping the origional radio in its place. Alot of aftermarkey radios have no digital clock and if they do you have to find that small botton on it to show it. And every botton you press makes a irritation beeping noise.

Alan

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If they would make the radio look better I would have little problem with it.

It looks like an 80's throwback.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Originally posted by gopedxr7@Nov 23 2003, 12:23 PM
I have done alot of reading on the gm radio. You lose alot of feature controls by getting rid of it. Including being able to program your own key fobs. I have a friend with a 02 Trailblazer and after he replaced his radio none of hte tones work. like he would leave the keys in the ingition and open the door and there would be no sound. Also you lose those steering wheels controls which you paid 350 for

One idea i always thought about was to use the peice that is equiped in cars with the radio delete option for the sounds but dont know if it would work.

I like keeping the origional radio in its place. Alot of aftermarkey radios have no digital clock and if they do you have to find that small botton on it to show it. And every botton you press makes a irritation beeping noise.

Alan
yeah, thats the chimes. theres a few relocation harness' on the market. some of the better ones, allow for you to maintain chimes. some require you to add 1 speaker just for the chimes and onstar. theres is actually also a additional module, to reassign your steering wheel controls to control aftermarket radio. unfortunately for me, those modules dont work with most sony head units, which are my favorites. all and all, its so much trouble, i have held off and doing the relocation. but will probably do so one day. with so many GM radios that have all this crap, you'd think the aftermarket would come up with an radio that would be a simple swap.

and i agree with ming, if they looked better this might not even be an issue. because sound quality can also be improved with better component speakers and amps. at least the gm radios arent as bad as one i had to deal with on a ford taurus rental car i had.. mannnnn.. that thing was so huge i thought i was at an atm machine.. lol

·
Registered
954 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Nov 23 2003, 10:52 AM
If they would make the radio look better I would have little problem with it.

It looks like an 80's throwback.
Just remember, it's not just GM. Honda is still using ugly 80's radios too!

Of coure you never here anyone complain about those <_<

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Originally posted by Dumb_Ass_2003@Nov 25 2003, 01:12 PM

Just remember, it's not just GM. Honda is still using ugly 80's radios too!

Of coure you never here anyone complain about those <_<
honda boys probably dont complain because , they can probably easily swap head units. or maybe their coffee can exausts overwhelm sound anyway!! :kama:

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
I am happy to report that starting around 2005 GM is going to put an optional DVD-Based, Touch-Screen Navigation System in a TON of its line up!! :bounce:

·
Registered
954 Posts
Originally posted by nsap@Nov 25 2003, 05:14 PM
I am happy to report that starting around 2005 GM is going to put an optional DVD-Based, Touch-Screen Navigation System in a TON of its line up!! :bounce:
It's about time! I asume it will be a Delco product?

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Originally posted by Dumb_Ass_2003+Nov 25 2003, 07:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dumb_Ass_2003 @ Nov 25 2003, 07:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-nsap@Nov 25 2003, 05:14 PM
It's about time! I asume it will be a Delco product? [/b][/quote]
No word yet... ;) But it probably will be.... <_<

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Originally posted by gopedxr7@Nov 23 2003, 12:23 PM

Alan
The same thing happens on Honda's in order to keep the keyless or factory alarm you have to put the radio somewhere in the cary or it won't work. I hated doing those worse than any other cars because of that and the darn Iso mounts in Honda's and Toyotas.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Originally posted by IMPALAon20s@Nov 23 2003, 09:40 AM
think the 1999+ gm cars that have oil monitors(warning light at startup tells you to its time for oil change), requires you use factory radio to reset it. this is main reason why swapping those gm radio's is more difficult then it should be. requires you use a relocation harness to move factory radio to trunk, allowing room to put aftermarket radio in dash. and when your oil monitor warning light comes on, and you do oil change, you'd have to go to factory radio in trunk to reset. pisses me off!! also, they work with the factory installed Onstar, and swapping radio would make you loose that. think radio actually controls alot of your warning lights too.
not sure about other vehicles, but my 99 Trans Am, you press the trip odometer to reset the oil change light.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts