GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back like in high school (2006, not too long ago) my classmates would get fired up about old Camaro's, Mustang's, and Charger's. One of them was all into his dad's '69 Camaro (BTW I now hate this dude, different story...).

Is anyone else like me, and NOT into the mainstream classics? I appreciate classic American cars, though personally I'm more into the late '60s and '70s, and I'm not knocking anyone that likes Camaro's, Mustang's, or Charger's. But people always have THOSE cars, and talk about THOSE cars, and modify THOSE cars.

Gimme something different. A Cougar, GS, or heck even a 442 (my dad was big into those). Even like a Chevelle is a nice break from a Camaro. Just something a little different.

Recently I've picked up an interest in large luxury cars from that era...Mark IV, Eldorado, Lesabre, Electra deuce-na-quarta (preferably in convertible form, wish Lincoln made one). If I didn't drive as many miles as I do and lived in a more temperate climate I'd probably drive something like that year round.

Heck even these days guys mod 3800 powered Grand Prix's...if you're talking Series II, I'll take the Riviera :cool:

This is kind of a pointless post, but does any of that make sense?

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
To answer your question, "Project GS" sounds totally awesome.

I like weird cars as well, as well as weird modifications. I'd love a Monster Miata, which is a 1990's Miata with a 5.0L Windsor from a Mustang.

I've thought about buying a Pontiac G8, and rebuilding the nose so it's an Oldsmobile, and badge it as a Toronado.

A friend of a friend in college souped up a 1980's Chrysler Turbo minivan with a 5-speed, and put a ridiculous wing on the back. Maniac.

Stereotypical cars are just boring...

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Yeah, I like odd cars. I owned a 1959 Mercedes 190D for a while. I'd love to have a Mercedes 170D, as they were built on a pre-war body. As for the domestics, I like the old 40's and 50's sedans, especially Studebakers.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'd say I qualify. I've got a 442. When I got the '06 GTO that I drive every day, one of my buddies thought the car was perfect for me, since it was muscle and not a Chevy but still a GM.

I've always just been more of a BOP guy, and with the exception of the S10 I had, those are the only cars I've owned. My GTO is becoming a Holden Monaro now, though. Maybe that makes me even more out there, LOL. You ought to see the look on people's faces when they try to figure out what the lion badge is.

My real passion has always been 60s-70s cars, but lately I find myself wanting a 55 Cadillac or something around there that would make a great cruiser. I've always wanted a 66-67 Toronado, too. They're just cool cars. Heck I'd buy one just for the drum style speedo.

I think if it came down to it, I'd end up with a 68-72 Vette if I was going to buy another old car. The other real possibility would be a Turbo Buick; I wanted one of those when I bought my Olds 9 years ago.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
I never got why people have such a fondness for old muscle cars. They drove like crap, were about as sporty as a city bus, and did absolutely nothing more than go from zero to sixty quickly. They CERTAINLY weren't driver's cars.

The '60s though were the heydey of clean Detroit styling. Influenced by clean Europeans, we saw countless crisply-styled beauties emerge from Detroit after a rather rough period early in the decade. Among my favorites are GM's 68-69 intermediates, the 65/66 Ford, almost all the big Pontiacs, post-65 Dodge Coronets, and my absolute favorite, the 68/69 Ford Fairlane/Torino. Ford however never seemed to get coupe styling down right, and those Torinos always looked best as simple 4-door sedans, while GM's intermediates looked great as coupes, but the sedans were a tad awkward.

I also have a fascination with utilitarian Euro cars. They're like a Swiss Army Knife on wheels. I never paid much attention to them until I lived in Germany and dated two girls, one with a Renault 4, the other with a Fiat Panda.

I never knew such a crude piece of machinery could be such a blast to drive, especially the Renault. That cheap little tin can could be chucked around corners, never lifting a wheel. It took half a day to get up to speed on the Autobahn, but once it was rolling, it kept up with traffic, and around town, you didn't even notice that it only had 34 horsepower. It was beyond crude. The floor was piece of unglued corrugated rubber that could be pulled out and hosed down. The seats came out and could be used as picnic chairs. The heater couldn't snuff out a match, and there was only one fan speed. The wipers were single-speed. There weren't even door release handles inside, you reached through a slot in the door and pulled the latch from there. The windows slid horizontally instead of disappearing into the door. And that push-me-pull-you gearlever was really something unusual to someone accustomed to Fords and Toyotas.

The Panda was a masterpiece of industrial simplicity. Bauhaus on wheels. Flat glass all around. The seats were simply fabric stretched across tubular frames, like lawn furniture. The boxy body provided amazing room for such a small car.

Cars like those, and the Fiat 500, Fiat 126, Citroen 2CV, Citroen Visa (with its clever "beercan" switchgear), and Autobianchi have always endeared me. Maybe it's cuz they're like babies, just so cute you wanna hug 'em and pinch their cheeks! (I've got a huge soft spot for babies)

I've never experienced a Japanese "Kei" car, but they just don't seem to have the same simplistic charm the Europeans mastered. Even today, Europeans churn out funky little cars like the Peugeot Bipper, Ford Ka, Fiat Qubo, and of course the splendid revived Fiat Cinquecento, all oozing with character that Nipponese Banzai-Bahnstormers just can't match.

But my all-time favorite tiny car was Issigonis' masterpiece, "The Brick", the beloved BMC Mini. Nothing was ever like it, and nothing ever will be. Beyond flawed, it had a charm, almost like it was an organic being, that endeared its owners. The new one is an insult to the original, bloated, tacky, and without the charm.

Sure, when I see an old '67 Cougar or '69 Firebird rolling down the interstate, I do a double-take to get a glimpse of it. But out of the countless cars I've driven in my life, nothing has ever put a smile on my face the way cheap European shoeboxes do...

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I had a life long love affair with the Ford T-Bird (it died with the last one Ford made). My first car, at 18, was a 64 TBird - what a wonderful car (sliding steering wheel and all).

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I love 90s GM fullsize cars, both the B-Bodies and H-Bodies; the first two bodystyles of Tauruses; and Oldsmobile Intrigues, just to name a recent few. How's that for outside the mainstream?:)

I could provide a loooong list of cars from the 50s to today I absolutely adore. Many of those cars are not the usual dream car candidates.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I've always prefered the "round two" cars. Firebirds, Cudas, Cougars, and the like. They always had more style and sex appeal than their original cousins did and were a little bit more rare. I don't think I'm alone with my taste either. For example last year at the Autorama car show at Thanksgiving, 1st gen/2nd gen Firebirds actually outnumbered the Camaros of corresponding years.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
I have always had a preference for entry level luxury cars like the CTS but if given the chance and a good price I'll have no qualms about getting into a STS-V, GTO, or a used C5 Vette.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
I have an odd taste all around. Outside of Camaro, I have this up and comming love affair with mid to late 70's XJ Jags. There is a white one around the corner from my fathers house for sale, in white though, just calling my name. Id swap out the small block into the XJ, paint it BRG, and be done!
I also LOVE the last gen 7 series, before it became bulbus and ugly.
I like the B body, as I own one.

I love Italian cars, petty much all Italian cars. I still miss my 95 Ford Taurus as that body style really set the trend.

G8 as a Toronado? G8 = RWD, Toronoado = FWD!!

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was thinking about that too...Toronado is a FWD coupe, not a RWD sedan. A G8 could be styled into an Aurora, maybe

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Old cars...50/60s Cadillacs...FINS!!!!! I like them for their raw size, power, and comfort.

94-96 Impalla SS. Seats five adults, huge trunk, RWD, and goes like stink.

Buick Roadmaster wagons...to die for. I absolutely love the big GM wagons.

From the newer vehicles, I get a little antsy in my pants when I see a diesel pickup truck. I love the clatter, the smell, the turbo, and one day I will own one.

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
I never have really thought of my tastes as "different," but a lot of cars that I really liked didn't do well in the marketplace.

Fiero. Well, that did well for a while, but early quality problems eventually killed the reputation.

'86-'89 Toronado. Unlike Riviera and Eldorado, the '86 downsizing of this car had a nice result.

'90-'92 Toronado.

'88-'91 Reatta

'95-'99 Riviera

Allante - maybe just too expensive

XLR - see Allante

Aurora, both generations

Intrigue

'93-'02 Camaro, '98 - '02 Firebird. They lasted for a while on the market, but it was a relentless sales slide to oblivion.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Yeah I have different tastes. I pretty much don't like any "classics".

I can appreciate how nice they are and I think some of them look amazing, but the idea of having an old car isn't appealing. The difficult repairs, fuel economy, not so great driving dynamics, and the look at me factor are all very unappealing.

I honestly would rather have a sedate and practical 90s Toyota or Lexus.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I have different tastes to say the least. When I was younger I drove a lowered Sonoma all tricked out. I am still a truck guy. I love old trucks and early SUVs. I have had a 51 Chevy Pickup, 86 Blazer, and still own a 57 Chevy Pickup.
I also love old wagons. Too many have given their lives to the demo derby. That leads me to the B-Body wagons. I have a 92 Caprice that I love to drive. It is like driving a big sofa down the road.
Last but not least are Corvairs. I bought one because I could afford to buy a buildable Chevelle or Impala. I found them very intriguing, and you need a support group if you are going to own one. Corvair owners are some of the friendliest people out there. They want to tell you about the car, and most importantly they like to drive them.

·
Premium Member
18,180 Posts
Yeah I have different tastes. I pretty much don't like any "classics".

I can appreciate how nice they are and I think some of them look amazing, but the idea of having an old car isn't appealing. The difficult repairs, fuel economy, not so great driving dynamics, and the look at me factor are all very unappealing.

I honestly would rather have a sedate and practical 90s Toyota or Lexus.
I'm assuming you have never driven the original mini? As t-rex said, there is nothing like it. They are the type of car that just leaves you reeling. An absolute blast to drive: loud, seemingly fast, real 4-cylinder sound, cornering like slot car. They warp your perception. Seriously, during that first drive, instinct takes care of the handling, whilst you're cognition is still catching up long after you've applied the hand brake. :D

As for the topic, yes I am a weirdo, but I'll have come back to it.:D

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
I think I sort of have different tastes,but more like broad tastes. I like pretty much everything that's considered classic, 60s & 70s muscle cars, 50s & 60s Cadillacs, tri-five Chevys, 1st-gen Rivieras, etc. but I also like weird cars too. Lately I've been mulling over how cool it would be to build a GM compact, like a Corvair, Opel Manta or Kadett, Brazillian Chevy Opala, 1st-gen Nova, or a '61-'63 Buick-Olds-Pontiac compact. I also like odd 4x4s like Scout 80/800s and Jeep Commandos.
My problem is that I don't see what the car looks like, I see what the car could look like.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts