GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys I was wondering are there any performance mods I can do to my engine?

My car is pretty agile (for a cheap mid sized car) But i would like to give the Bu a good kick in the tailpipe and get some more power out of it. I looked around on the internet but i couldn't find anything. However heres what i do plan on buying

K&N air filter

Wireless rear back up cam (for when i drive it to school)

and new pulleys (if I can find any)

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
Check for a cat back exhaust with low pressure muffler (i.e. Flowmaster. Ck availability of a programmer (Hypertech, ect)

I don't know about the pulleys, as they will reduce electrical power the bu's multiple pcm-bcm-modules may need to run and shift properly.

A good set of sticky tires will work wonders also.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Check for a cat back exhaust with low pressure muffler (i.e. Flowmaster. Ck availability of a programmer (Hypertech, ect)

I don't know about the pulleys, as they will reduce electrical power the bu's multiple pcm-bcm-modules may need to run and shift properly.

A good set of sticky tires will work wonders also.
Ok thanx for the info. I've seen after market intakes and superchargers but I do not have the budget for those items at the moment. I'll check out flow master and the other exhaust manufacturers you mentioned and see if they have anything that look good.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
gotta keep up with the prototype mules? :D

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gotta keep up with the prototype mules? :D
partly and also i just wanted alittle more fun in my drive. Believe it or not I can keep up with most of the prototypes i run into. (except for V8 ones of course). I've just been in a rut because after I shot the Milan and MKS pics back in April Ford made its section of the road and the parking lot a private area to make sure I wouldn't be able to come back for an encore. So for the past two months I've been searching for a good sturdy tree i can climb up on and still get a good view of the testing grounds

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
heh ok. There's not much you can do to the 3100 though, intake and exhaust are obvious...there may be a cam/rockers available but they wouldn't make a ton of difference.

Now that I think of it there's the 3400 top end swap which gives a few more hp...may be worth doing say if you were rebuilding but otherwise the cost/effort versus benefit ratio wouldn't be very good.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
heh ok. There's not much you can do to the 3100 though, intake and exhaust are obvious...there may be a cam/rockers available but they wouldn't make a ton of difference.

Now that I think of it there's the 3400 top end swap which gives a few more hp...may be worth doing say if you were rebuilding but otherwise the cost/effort versus benefit ratio wouldn't be very good.
Thats true you can't have as much fun with the 3100 as you can with something like the 3800 series motors for example but I figured if i could get at least a few more horses out of it then thats good enough for me. i will be going out to target and Murrarys tomorrow to buy the wireless backup cam and the air filter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts