GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm considering buying a 2009 Malibu LT in a few months and I have some questions about using the Turn By Turn feature for navigation.

There are some characteristics of the OnStar navigation that look like they will be annoying and inconvenient, so I may still need to keep a portable nav as a backup when I drive out in rural areas and may not renew it after the included year expires.

Is there ever a hold delay waiting for an OnStar advisor to answer and enter your route for you?

Will the MapQuest function that allows you to enter the destinations from a PC instead of calling the live operator be included with the OnStar systems with 2009 Malibus?
Are there any plans for the service to use live traffic data to automatically route you around traffic jams?

Are routes sent via the satellite or via Verizon's network?

I know you cannot start a new route if you are out of the Verizon coverage area, but what happens if you are enroute getting Turn By Turn directions and drive out of the Verizon coverage area part way through the route?

If you cannot or do not want to take one of the suggested turns and need it to just hurry up and quickly recalculate the route so you don't miss the next turn, is there any option or shortcut to bypass the long winded prompt asking for confirmation to continue?
“You have left the planned route, do you need
directions to get back on route? I’m listening now, please say “Yes or
No.”
Every other nav system will automatically and quickly recalculate continuation of the route from your new location if you pass one of the planned turns without requiring you to do anything. If you want to cancel, then you can take actions to cancel the route. That seems more logical than OnStar's procedure of dropping the routing and waiting for you to respond to it's prompt if you miss a turn before it will continue.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is this the right section of the forum for this question?
Does anyone have even partial answers and some practical experience using the OnStar navigation who might know if there's a bypass or option to turn off the “You have left the planned route, do you need directions to get back on route? I’m listening now, please say “Yes or No.” dialogue that comes up if you pass one of the turns?
That long-worded prompt would have to get very annoying and frustrating if a turn was blocked or you didn't want to take that turn for any other reason.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I tried my free trial directions and connections a couple of weeks ago... all I have to say is I'm not impressed. I didn't have an address so I could only give the adviser the name of the business. It took her over 5 minutes to find it. By comparison the GPS took may be 30 seconds. Not worth the $9.99/month if you ask me.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
I'm considering buying a 2009 Malibu LT in a few months and I have some questions about using the Turn By Turn feature for navigation.

There are some characteristics of the OnStar navigation that look like they will be annoying and inconvenient, so I may still need to keep a portable nav as a backup when I drive out in rural areas and may not renew it after the included year expires.

Is there ever a hold delay waiting for an OnStar advisor to answer and enter your route for you?
The only delay will be from the person looking up the route and than sending the directions to the vehicle. Each time you contact Onstar you are connected to a single person who is only talking with you during that period (not one person answering numerous calls). You will be put on "hold" when your vehicle is receiving information (such as directions) or running a diagnostic (check engine light came on). This is because the system cannot do both at once. Once the receiving/testing is done you will be taken off "hold" and talking with the same, previous advisor.

Will the MapQuest function that allows you to enter the destinations from a PC instead of calling the live operator be included with the OnStar systems with 2009 Malibus?
Yes, MapQuest is now included with all new Onstar systems.

Are there any plans for the service to use live traffic data to automatically route you around traffic jams?
Not sure.

Are routes sent via the satellite or via Verizon's network?
Verizon's network. Your vehicle is never connected directly to a satellite, only a the Verizon cell signal. The satellite part comes into play when the cell tower sends a signal to the Verizon satellite. Disappointing, yes I know.

I know you cannot start a new route if you are out of the Verizon coverage area, but what happens if you are enroute getting Turn By Turn directions and drive out of the Verizon coverage area part way through the route?
Not sure. I would guess that it would either restart once back into the coverage area or start from where it stopped, but again, not sure.

If you cannot or do not want to take one of the suggested turns and need it to just hurry up and quickly recalculate the route so you don't miss the next turn, is there any option or shortcut to bypass the long winded prompt asking for confirmation to continue?
Turn-by-Turn will automatically update/recalculate and change the given directions if you miss a turn. Not sure about the confirmation to continue part.

Every other nav system will automatically and quickly recalculate continuation of the route from your new location if you pass one of the planned turns without requiring you to do anything. If you want to cancel, then you can take actions to cancel the route. That seems more logical than OnStar's procedure of dropping the routing and waiting for you to respond to it's prompt if you miss a turn before it will continue.
Refer to previous statement.

More info can be found here:
http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/index.jsp

·
Registered
9 Posts
recently wondered the same thing - just called customer support and was told that yes it does indeed take traffic in to account in metro areas that support it

sorry for digging up the old post - it popped up on a web search for the info :)

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
I had experience with the OnStar nav during my free trial and my impression was an overall positive. I just didn't' use it often enough to justify the cost (same reason I don't own a GPS, etc). I preferred having an actual person to talk to as opposed to hitting stuff on a screen and having it not know what you want. OnStar is a major plus if you're in an unknown area driving around and you want to find a McDonalds or something. It doesn't distract from your driving. I don't much really care for nav either way, but if I did I'd opt for OnStar over an in-dash unit. And if you aren't buying for the next few months, why not wait for the 2010 model year?

·
Premium Member
6,371 Posts
We used our navigation system, in the SuperDuty, for the first time, while on vacation. It was very user friendly, very accurate, and was actually quite fun. It also saved our ass a time or two.

If the Onstar system is Verizon wireless based, then it would be relatively useless, here in the mountains (we have Verizon wireless for our phone, and my husband is a truck driver.......... so he knows all the places where he "has service").

The funny thing was, our sons Godfather brought his pricy Garmin also. Many times, ours would be correct, while "Barbara" (what he named her) would have had us in a completely different place, than we wanted to go. I also found that "Barbara" would easily lose her signal, and have to recalculate. We only had one brief "lost signal" with our satellite based navigation, it was only for a few seconds, and you still had the map to go on............ with no recalculation.

I will say, having the visual, to back up the voice directions, is VERY nice. Also, the stereo volume is turned down, when the voice is talking, then it goes right back up to normal. This is also very nice. All of the stereo and entertainment interfaces are through the navigation unit.

All in all, I was very impressed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.