GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
help? i dunno... i read the whole thing... nothing unbelievable there. he's right to offer moderate praise to ford, and to assume that americans won't jump all over it. it might not be what the consumers want, but it's what they should want. though the $2000 to $4000 price tag jump is very hard to swallow. and don't talk lifetime costs (lower overall because of lower fuel costs)... because most people don't think more than a day ahead.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not over the car but ver his attitude toward people driving SUVs. I mean, not let your kid play at a neighbors house cause they have an SUV? Give me a break. Its like people who drive SUVs are cannibals or Satanic or something. And he encourages people toward vandalism toward Hummers. What a moron.

Its not over the car itself, its a good step to protecting our enviornment. But this guy is crazy.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
This is the first time I've heard an Escape described as driving like a "monster truck". This guy should own nothing more than a bicycle and live in a 500 sq.ft. room (so as not to waste resources heating, cooling and lighting wasted space)

I'm all for saving resources, and the Escape is fine, but this guy is like a cartoon.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Originally posted by ozone_GTX@May 12 2004, 08:24 PM
It's not over the car but ver his attitude toward people driving SUVs. I mean, not let your kid play at a neighbors house cause they have an SUV? Give me a break. Its like people who drive SUVs are cannibals or Satanic or something. And he excourages people toward vandalism toward Hummers. What a moron.

Its not over the car itself, its a good step to protecting our enviornment. But this guy is crazy.
(((((AMEN!!))))) ;)

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Let me get this straight the author hates SUVs to the point where he would limit personal freedom to purchase an SUV. So what does he do? Become a reviewer of SUVs. What's next Ralph Nader guest editor of Road and Track?
So the Escape handles like a monster truck...but the Pirus is a car to aspire to? Granted I am mixing opinions but this review is a waste.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Full disclosure: This guy's an a$$!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I hate suv's (and minivans) too, but I guess if I ever need what it has to offer over a large sedan, I would get one...
I don't even want to waste my time to read yet another stupid review... Those wannabe treehuggers make me laugh.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think some people misinterpreted my post title. I didn't mean it as that anti-SUV fans would be outraged to read this guy's post, but like "Anti-SUV fanatics :rolleyes: You people (people who aren't anti-SUV fanatics) won't believe how stupid this guy's remarks are. Just wanted to clear that up.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Look out, my fellow liberals, but we're about to get run over by an SUV!
:rolleyes: Ugh!

He forgets the complaint his so called "Liberal" (actually regulation and tax happy) friends use to demonize the SUV.....SUVs are bigger than Chevy Metros and Toyota Echoes, and people in small cars get hurt by people driving SUVs, so all SUVs should be banned and everyone should drive Echoes - that is, until they decide that everyone needs to ride bicycles because the bicycle riders are in danger from the Echo drivers... :p

·
Registered
785 Posts
It’s kind of fair to say that unless pushed, manufacturers have little incentive to make progress in this way. When I say pushed, I am not only talking about government but also fuel prices and competition. Back when gas was a dollar a gallon, people in econo boxes looked almost ridiculous. I had to try really hard to drive five dollars worth of gas and it seemed to make no sense to have to give up so much utility and maybe even safety. Now gas is high and getting higher, some Americans who once budgeted an SUV into the family based more on wants than needs are no longer able to digest the buy. Let’s just admit it, many people who have SUVs don’t really need them but buy them as status symbols but everyone wants better gas mileage now that it can affect the wallet. The story is different for the buyers looking at wants instead of needs now that fuel prices have increased but so have the offerings. This is a great way for manufacturers to combine wants and needs in one package. Utility, safety and increased gas mileage, as opposed to horrid gas consumption in the minds of buyers, may allow the family of wants to continue to consume larger vehicles and that can’t be a bad thing for Ford and GM who depend so heavily on large vehicles. Competition is now also coming into play. Lexus is going to offer a hybrid SUV and I’m waiting to see just how advanced their system is. An SUV Hybrid comparo can’t be too far off in the future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts