GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went use my check card to pay for some stuff tonight at Walmart. Well In my area they have a new policy now where if you have a check card you have to use it as debit, not credit. Why? Because then you have to pay the bank debit fees and they don't have to pay credit card merchant fees (which for Walmart I can imagine are the lowest in the industry). They claim it became company policy 2/1/2004. This royally sucks because I never carry cash, but I am not gonna pay an extra $.25 per transaction because they are cheap. Watch, soon all the other stores will start doing it because Walmart is, makeing your check car useless.

Far as I know they still treat regualr credit cards the same.

I dunno if this is a double post.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by Branden@Feb 8 2004, 03:03 AM
I went use my check card to pay for some stuff tonight at Walmart. Well In my area they have a new policy now where if you have a check card you have to use it as debit, not credit. Why? Because then you have to pay the bank debit fees and they don't have to pay credit card merchant fees (which for Walmart I can imagine are the lowest in the industry). They claim it became company policy 2/1/2004. This royally sucks because I never carry cash, but I am not gonna pay an extra $.25 per transaction because they are cheap. Watch, soon all the other stores will start doing it because Walmart is, makeing your check car useless.

Far as I know they still treat regualr credit cards the same.

I dunno if this is a double post.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Hmm... interesting...

I have a debit card, and have never had to pay a fee using it as a "debit" card. Anyhow, apparently if you use it as a credit card, they get charged more than if you even use a regular credit card ... instead of a 7% fee, they are charged a 10-14% fee... that's probably why. But seriously, if it effects you that much, consider switching to a bank that doesn't charge for using it... :(

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
I make it a habit not to use debit cards as much as I can. I prefer cash and GM Card vs Debit Card.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I love my debit card. It gives me a fast and easy way to pay for things with money that I have. There registers must know its a debit card then, unless they have to look at it. I dont go to wal-mart much, but when I go to Meijer or Menards I dont swipe my card untill they push the Charge button. Those damn banks get enough money in fees, so I try stop this one as much as I can.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Up here in that 51st state called CANADA, for the most part, our debit cards are related to the bank, not to the credit card companies.

So you don't have the option of credit/debit at the cash register. You have the choice in your wallet.

Canada has had debit cards for the longest time. Canada (especially Quebec) is often the testing ground for North America for new technologies.

I like Walmart.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
All the Wal-Marts that I use here in AR have had that policy for a long time.

But I hate Wal-Mart b/c they didn't have a car window sun-shield--- not a one... I still don't understand...

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
The Wal-Marts around here just started charging $1.00 if you use a debit card issued from MasterCard. I'm glad mine is a Visa :)

·
Registered
922 Posts
I found this on my Credit Unions website.

As a result of a class action lawsuit last summer between Wal-Mart and the MasterCard® and Visa® associations, merchants may now choose whether to accept signature debit card transactions. As of February 1, 2004, Wal-Mart will no longer accept signature debit card transactions that display the MasterCard logo, but will continue to accept signature debit card transactions that display the Visa logo. Wal-Mart will continue to accept purchases made with your Debit Card when you enter your Personal Identification Number (PIN). In the future, other merchants may follow suit and stop accepting signature debit card transactions like Wal-Mart has done. Merchants aren’t required to send out a notification letting consumers know.

·
Registered
393 Posts
My wife own a small store in town Chocolate and food store. .
She order some favoured coffee. When she got them they already had a Wal-Mart price tag on them and they were price lower than is was getting them wholesale.
She has some produced that she was saling cheap than Wal-Mart at he suggest price from the wholesaler. SO how much was Wal-Mart making on the produced.
On most items there is only a 30% make-up on. Why because Wal-mart killes the wholesales who try to make it up on the small guy.
Small business owner get shalfted all the time

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
I think we have to accept that Wal Mart is one aspect of the "future" of shopping in the USA. Old town main street is great for antique shops, but unlikely to make a comeback. Even the "mall" is losing popularity when people can get all they need at one of countless wal marts.

The question for small business owners is how they can adapt to this new marketplace and offer product that WalMart cant, or won't.

A good example is a nursery near a WalMart not far from where I live. They offer exotic and local plants that WalMart wont with its generic garden center and roses, gardenias and other plants not really suited for my area. The local nursery can charge quite a bit more, and people will pay, because they can't get the product elsewhere.

A ma and pa shop that sells moon pies and generic ketchup like WalMarts - but for a higher price - is going to have a hard time, unless they can get a gasoline stand setup or something where they lure in the customer who is too lazy to go to the cheaper store to pick up milk or whatever.

·
Registered
14 Posts
To compete with the big guys, small businesses should offer discounts for cash sales. If a retailer will accept $93 for a $100 purchase ( after decucting the 7% credit card fee) then they should offer a 7% off for greenbacks. Just 3-4% discount would be a step in the right direction.

As for the jobs lost to globalization; its' going to get worse before it gets better. Lots worse! People are getting really tired of hearing politicians say, "Well, we only lost the undesirable jobs". Especially when it was their job in question.

BUY AMERICAN, if you can.

Tim

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by tparrott@Feb 21 2004, 07:48 PM
To compete with the big guys, small businesses should offer discounts for cash sales. If a retailer will accept $93 for a $100 purchase ( after decucting the 7% credit card fee) then they should offer a 7% off for greenbacks. Just 3-4% discount would be a step in the right direction.

As for the jobs lost to globalization; its' going to get worse before it gets better. Lots worse! People are getting really tired of hearing politicians say, "Well, we only lost the undesirable jobs". Especially when it was their job in question.

BUY AMERICAN, if you can.

Tim
Many small businesses depend on that. For example, a mom-and-pop "supermarket" in my hometown only has a 15% markup. That 3-4% you speak of is about the margin of what keeps them open.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Originally posted by LGRpup@Feb 21 2004, 05:40 AM
I found this on my Credit Unions website.

As a result of a class action lawsuit last summer between Wal-Mart and the MasterCard® and Visa® associations, merchants may now choose whether to accept signature debit card transactions. As of February 1, 2004, Wal-Mart will no longer accept signature debit card transactions that display the MasterCard logo, but will continue to accept signature debit card transactions that display the Visa logo. Wal-Mart will continue to accept purchases made with your Debit Card when you enter your Personal Identification Number (PIN). In the future, other merchants may follow suit and stop accepting signature debit card transactions like Wal-Mart has done. Merchants aren’t required to send out a notification letting consumers know.
:mf_boff: Hi To Everyone, I just heard on the News recently for customers at ANY STORE to be sure and Watch out FOR People near the Check-outs using "Cell-Phones, because A lot of THEM have Cameras that can Take a picture of your Debit Card, Credit Card, and Whatevever Card you are paying for your purchases with, So me? If I don't have CASH for It, Me don't BUY!! Please be on guard for people that are using Cell-phones at Checkouts, OKAY? Another thing, I go to other Stores First to buy my things, Wal-Mart is a LAST Choice for me and USED to WORK for them a few years ago too!!! RoseLady, In Arkansas..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts