GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my September 2008 issue which is their 2009 New Cars issue. 162 models are briefly reviewed and rated on a 1- to 5-star scale. Toyota Matrix got 4 stars while the Pontiac Vibe got 2 1/2 stars. How ? Why ??
GM should pull all its advertising from this rag until they are treated fairly by the editors. AARRGGHH !!!!!

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
Hah.
To be honest, I ignored the new car thing. I've never found it informative or fair. I read the article about the Camaro instead.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Hah.
To be honest, I ignored the new car thing. I've never found it informative or fair. I read the article about the Camaro instead.
The annual new car report IMO Is just a platform for motortrend to show bias to Asian and European manufacturers and to pop shots against the domestic auto makers. Even some of there "cool facts" are not really that cool to begin with. However I did enjoy reading the article about the Camaro and the MKS review

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Is this really front page-worthy news?

I haven't gotten my issue yet, but that is ridiculous. The Matrix also is a styling flop IMO, while the Vibe actually looks half decent. The old Matrix looks better than the new Matrix, but the new Vibe looks better than the old Vibe.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I'll admit the Vibe/Matrix thing is odd, but honestly most Japanese cars are better than a lot of American cars. I don't think Japan has anything on America's muscles cars (Camaro Challenger Mustang G8 etc.) or trucks, and they don't have a good competitor for the Corvette, but when it comes to sedans, Japan makes some well built good driving (although often boring) vehicles. I love GM and I'd much rather see America's big three do well over Japan's companies, but that doesn't make it bias when a magazine calls it like they see it. Not saying I'd buy a Japanese car though. I think there's something to driving a domestic car.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
I read mine this morning. It included a note informing me that my next issue would be my last. After reading it, I decided not to renew.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Motor Trend's new car guide has had a problem with rating platform mates differently for years.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
hey PMC...

·
Registered
110 Posts
i got the new one too. Also, the Cobalt got 1 1/2 stars, the lowest rating. total of 4 cars got 1.5 stars. 3 are american (1 for chevy cobalt, one for Ford and one for Chrysley) and one is Me/Be which is the one that costs $1/2 million, their comment was Too expensive and what's the point for that car. i was laughing about that, which is true, i can buy a dam nice house for that money, haha.
not only that, they got the Pontiac G5 rating like 28/39 cit/highway Mpg(i am guessing the #s on this one i don't have it right here now.
so many erorrs.
I always see the Corvett got 5 stars, here got 4. And antoher one is they didn't update the Cobalt's new 36highway mpg.
None one American got the "30+ MPG" stickers. but many toyota and mini did got that stickers and a few others.
this telling me MT is going to lose me as a future subscriber. i am not even going to the website to comment anymore.
1.5 stars for cobalt? this is just don't know how much worse can be for a car like that. i know it's not built for quality but it deserves better. maybe rate it at least like the hhr for a 2.5 stars, i wouldn't be complaining about it.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Haha.....and people thought Car and Driver was bad! MT is lame!

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
I'll admit the Vibe/Matrix thing is odd, but honestly most Japanese cars are better than a lot of American cars. I don't think Japan has anything on America's muscles cars (Camaro Challenger Mustang G8 etc.) or trucks, and they don't have a good competitor for the Corvette, but when it comes to sedans, Japan makes some well built good driving (although often boring) vehicles. I love GM and I'd much rather see America's big three do well over Japan's companies, but that doesn't make it bias when a magazine calls it like they see it. Not saying I'd buy a Japanese car though. I think there's something to driving a domestic car.
uh what?

But personally I could care less where a car comes from, and what company does well. If I like a car, Ill buy it.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Only reason I can think of for rating the two differently, is they tested different trim levels. ie: They tested a top of the line Matrix XRS, and a stripped down Vibe 1.8.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Seriously, stop reading Motor Trend.

You are dumber for reading it already. Put the magazine down.
Kind of like Playboy........I look at the pictures....but don't read the articles! ;) Or is it the other way around? :confused:

:lmao::fall:

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Just received my September 2008 issue which is their 2009 New Cars issue. 162 models are briefly reviewed and rated on a 1- to 5-star scale. Toyota Matrix got 4 stars while the Pontiac Vibe got 2 1/2 stars. How ? Why ??
GM should pull all its advertising from this rag until they are treated fairly by the editors. AARRGGHH !!!!!
Imagine that!! That arrow head on the front and back really make it take a dive in quality! :rolleyes: I also read the Camaro article and there are quite a few errors in that report.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I find Motor Trend a decent magazine, but their annual star ratings are typically nonsense. The only thing I've ever found them to be in the slightest bit based on is how old the car's design is, which is going to favor the shorter lifecycles typical of Asian imports.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts