GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Paris 2008: Pininfarina and Bolloré debut the B0 (B Zero) production electric car
autobloggreen.com
Posted Oct 3rd 2008 at 2:02PM by Domenick Yoney

While we've known for some time that an electric car would be forthcoming from the partnership between the fabled firm of Pininfarina and the French industrial giant Bolloré, the two companies have avoided any embarrassing premature publication of photos until the predetermined moment at the Paris Motor Show.
After thousands of miles of testing with the BlueCar platform, the companies have refined that technology in this new design and hit all of their performance benchmarks including a 153-mile range and a top governed speed of 80 Mph. Although the advanced solar panels built into the roof and hood are quick to catch the eye with their high tech appearance, the real secret weapon in this city car is the lithium polymer "LMP" battery matched up with a supercapacitor. ... It is stressed that the B0 is not a concept car or a prototype but an actual production model that will be built in Turin by the end of 2009.

Continued here.

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
That's great, but it is not a vehicle that will replace the "family car" considering the 153 mile range. The Volt is in another class provided it performs as promised...
Yet the Volt gets only 40 off an electrical change? Personally I really don't think the EV will ever replace an internal combustion car, and the battery waste, as well as the additional resources required to make the cars aren't exactly favorable.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Yet the Volt gets only 40 off an electrical change? Personally I really don't think the EV will ever replace an internal combustion car, and the battery waste, as well as the additional resources required to make the cars aren't exactly favorable.

The battery in the Volt is half the size pushing a car that is larger and heavier.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Well, considering the fact that it isn't even the beginning of 2009 and this 'car' isn't due until the end of 2009, shouldn't the thread be titled, "Another electric car that might beat the Volt to production," since neither one is on the street?

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
All electrics are great for those who can afford two cars. For those that can only afford one then an electric with a range extender is key.

I think the media fails to realize that building an electric only vehicle is not hard. Building a properly operational EV with a range extender is more difficult -- just look at Tesla's troubles.

If GM just threw batteries throughout the vehicle they'd have a 150 mile electric-only Volt. But they don't want to go that route. They don't want to be tethered. Or, put another way, any electric car's range is 1/2 the stated range unless there's a friendly plug at the end of that range. Thus, 150 mile range in an EV is really 75 if you have to head back to a plug. I think the media is forgetting this inconvenient fact. But consumers comprehend this, which I believe is why the EV1 was not that interesting ... it just didn't have the functionality people associate with a car: freedom of destination.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
All electrics are great for those who can afford two cars. For those that can only afford one then an electric with a range extender is key.

I think the media fails to realize that building an electric only vehicle is not hard. Building a properly operational EV with a range extender is more difficult -- just look at Tesla's troubles.

If GM just threw batteries throughout the vehicle they'd have a 150 mile electric-only Volt. But they don't want to go that route. They don't want to be tethered. Or, put another way, any electric car's range is 1/2 the stated range unless there's a friendly plug at the end of that range. Thus, 150 mile range in an EV is really 75 if you have to head back to a plug. I think the media is forgetting this inconvenient fact. But consumers comprehend this, which I believe is why the EV1 was not that interesting ... it just didn't have the functionality people associate with a car: freedom of destination.

Actually, your range would be less than 75 miles. Get stuck in traffic with the lights on? All that stop and go sucks extra power, and regen does not get it all back. Lights will suck down power while they are in use as well. So does A/C, heat, radio......

With my commute, this little EV is actually the first one that would pass muster as a commuter only car. My commute is 100 miles, and I would want at least a third more for insurance. Still, I'll take a Volt over this thing, as the Volt can fill both commuter and long distance duties.

As for it's style, It doesn't do much for me, but I wouldn't run away from one on it's looks either. I'm more fascinated with the tech under the hood.

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
Should be built to higher Euro specs...
I've come to believe that European specs aren't higher than US specs, simply different. It would explain why some European cars simply can't be sold here.

I'd love to know what the true differences are. And, if the Beat will be sold in Europe, for example, then that would prove my point of the US and European specs being different and not one being a superset of the other.

edit: I just checked google and sure enough, the Beat will be for sale in Europe. Hence, Europe Spec is NOT a superset of US Spec. So what are the differences that can have GM sell a car in Europe but not the US.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Lithium Polymer batteries, WoW, now that's a headline. I like to know who manufactures those batteries. Lithium Polymer are are distinctly different from the Lithium Ion bretheren. Lithium Polymer batteries can be physically shaped differently such that to maximize thier physical in a vehicle. They are extremely light and are safer than the lithium ion in terms venting or outgassing..

Now in terms of the electricals, I do not know how the capaicity compares or the charge rates whether they can be charged and discharged fairly quickly. Also, can Lithium polymer be used in high surge applications. Apperently, the auto manufacturer is using super capacitiors to off load some of the surge or in-rush currents during the electrical motor start-up to help extend battery charge.

So yes quite impressive. Whether the car can leap frog over the Volt is yet to be seen. The battery technology in itself perhaps Pininfarina has gone ahead. But overall styling, cost, roominess and performance it would seem the Volt has an edge.

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
I also loved how so many complained about the 100 mph top speed in the Volt and this only gets 80 mph. Also what is the intended life span on this battery? Mini won't even allow their customers lease their electric car for more than a year, for example.

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
Lithium Polymer batteries, WoW, now that's a headline. I like to know who manufactures those batteries. Lithium Polymer are are distinctly different from the Lithium Ion bretheren. Lithium Polymer batteries can be physically shaped differently such that to maximize thier physical in a vehicle. They are extremely light and are safer than the lithium ion in terms venting or outgassing..

Now in terms of the electricals, I do not know how the capaicity compares or the charge rates whether they can be charged and discharged fairly quickly. Also, can Lithium polymer be used in high surge applications. Apperently, the auto manufacturer is using super capacitiors to off load some of the surge or in-rush currents during the electrical motor start-up to help extend battery charge.

So yes quite impressive. Whether the car can leap frog over the Volt is yet to be seen. The battery technology in itself perhaps Pininfarina has gone ahead. But overall styling, cost, roominess and performance it would seem the Volt has an edge.
I really don't see why this has an edge over the technology going into the Volt, if it is only on the basis of battery shape, I find that a very weak argument.

·
Registered
90 Posts
That is all I need for my next car. Finally a NO gas option that would have real impact on national security and the economy . When can I get one like it that is made in America?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.