GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
This, like the other one, just doesn't say Crown Vic. This one looks like it's bowed under its own weight and dragging the ground.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's fine if you don't like the drawing but you guys have to realize that product/automotive design does not stand still. If I hired you, Zulehan, as an automotive designer and your first assignment was a Crown Vic redesign and you came back to me with more of the same, why should I bother with you? I've hired you for your FRESH CREATIVE design ability, not to rehash the same-tired-old-thing. Product design is constantly moving forward, watch out or it will run you over.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I actually see more Chrysler in this one than I do Ford...maybe if you took the lower grille and filled it with Ford's new razor look, I'd see more in it. As for the overall shape, I love it, it could use some more pronouned fender flares though. This would make one mean squad car, that's for sure!

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
That's fine if you don't like the drawing but you guys have to realize that product/automotive design does not stand still. If I hired you, Zulehan, as an automotive designer and your first assignment was a Crown Vic redesign and you came back to me with more of the same, why should I bother with you? I've hired you for your FRESH CREATIVE design ability, not to rehash the same-tired-old-thing. Product design is constantly moving forward, watch out or it will run you over.
As someone at GM recently said, if you are comfortable with a concept drawing, it's a bad drawing because by the time it gets to production, it will be old and boring.

This drawing looks way too out there for a Crown Vic (please call it something else), but it when it shows up in showrooms 4 years from now, it will be right on the money.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
I really like it. :yup: Not sure as a Crown Vic, but like mentioned above it'd make a great Taurus or similar.

By appearance, the trunk area might be a little small.

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
No one can dispute your talent, but I tend to agree it's not really a Crown Vic. The proportions are a little off. The front and rear end need to be a closer together in terms of length.

A little more rear overhang. :)

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Exactly.

as for the drawing..Oldsmobile is the first thing to pop in my head. I like the car but..im not sure about a crown vic..but i ust thought about it and have no way to do any better.

I think its just time for the crown vic to bow out and pass peascefully in the night. Cops want chargers and Impalas now. once the crown vics are out of the police force, they go to the taxi's, n then poof..all gone...hopefully

·
Registered
201 Posts
???

I am not a fan of conservative design, and nothing about what I said should have lead you to believe that. Really, you're talking to the wrong person with that rhetoric. It's not that it's too FRESH and CREATIVE for me. I just think the design is not terribly great. There's a big difference.

I mean, no offence. I like the headlights a lot, and I agree that Ford Australia and Ford Europe design cues should make their way into Ford US cars, such as that lower grille. Trust me, no one wants the same tired old panther bodies anymore (except maybe GrandPrix08). We've had virtually the same Crown Vic since 1992.

If anything, I might say your design is a little too 1994 with the bubbly roundedness. Yes, design is moving from the muscular, cut forms of the early 2000's (Chrysler 300, 2000 Chevy Impala) to curves again, but new designs bear more graceful, flowing curves, which interact in subtly complex ways (BMW 1-series, Audi A5, Pontiac Solstice), not the bulging jelly bean curves of the 90's (Chrysler Concorde, Ford Taurus).

You do realize that the rocker panel line, if followed through the rear wheel well, would extend below the rear tire?

·
Registered
201 Posts
As someone at GM recently said, if you are comfortable with a concept drawing, it's a bad drawing because by the time it gets to production, it will be old and boring.
I think that was Bob himself. and I absolutely agree.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
alot of ford europe in the lower grille and alot of something in the solid upper grille. i cant put my finger on it but its very familiar.
Oldsmobile and Saturn. :yup:

And Saab 9-5 in the headlights.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ya know, I didn't mean to get on a soap box about some stupid drawing. It just that I've read soo many "well, it doesn't look like a _______" that I had to reply. It's my interpretation of a certain automobile. I like a certain style and that's reflected in the sketch.
As for furture trends, it's pretty much anything goes from what I've seen and read.
As for the rocker panel, it's just a drawing.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Ya know, I didn't mean to get on a soap box about some stupid drawing. It just that I've read soo many "well, it doesn't look like a _______" that I had to reply. It's my interpretation of a certain automobile. I like a certain style and that's reflected in the sketch.
As for furture trends, it's pretty much anything goes from what I've seen and read.
As for the rocker panel, it's just a drawing.
K, I understand. We're on the same page then.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Here's, what I hope, is a slightly better Crown Vic.

I like how you approach car design from such a fresh, blank sheet perspective. To me it is a mix of futurism and regal classiness...I suspect you have a bright future ahead of you!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts