GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an idea for the Navigator. Lincoln, like LR with the Range Rover, should built the next one on a aluminum platform. Yes the cost would go up, but the handling and performance would greatly improve. The weight would be reduced and gas mileage would go up. This would also differ it from the Expedition, something which has plaged it for years. It would heighten Lincoln to be a real player in the Luxury market, which the buyers of which have not flocked to Lincoln in a dozen years.

·
Back!
5,366 Posts
I have an idea for the Navigator. Lincoln, like LR with the Range Rover, should built the next one on a aluminum platform. Yes the cost would go up, but the handling and performance would greatly improve. The weight would be reduced and gas mileage would go up. This would also differ it from the Expedition, something which has plaged it for years. It would heighten Lincoln to be a real player in the Luxury market, which the buyers of which have not flocked to Lincoln in a dozen years.
I have long felt the same. IMO when finances allow Lincoln should develop an aluminum platform to underpin an array of large, flagship vehicles including a Continental aimed squarely at the C Class, A8, and 7 Series and a new, more upmarket Navigator. A new Continental Mark similar in execution to the MkIX concept would be marvelous as well.

·
Registered
944 Posts
idk Ford has many problems putting funds towards R&D in the segment this truck is in may be a waste of already constrained resources.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
my crazy idea™ is the Navigator moves to F-100-based
Expedition goes even lighter on the new T6 platform - like a long-stretched Bronco

·
Premium Member
6,926 Posts
I like the idea.. You should run it by the Lincoln Navigator guys...

I just found out that the new 6.2 liter (was it 6.2?) engine isn't making it into the new F150s OR the Navigator.. Sucks but that's what high gas prices do..

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
I like the idea.. You should run it by the Lincoln Navigator guys...

I just found out that the new 6.2 liter (was it 6.2?) engine isn't making it into the new F150s OR the Navigator.. Sucks but that's what high gas prices do..
well the 6.2 is going to the Super Duty and I bet there might be a plan for the Navigator to have it too so that way the Expy keeps the 5.4 325 hp and the Navi can get the 425 hp engine

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Sal, I'm in the middle of moving...
if you're a member there, feel free to quote it :)
& TY

·
Premium Member
6,926 Posts
well the 6.2 is going to the Super Duty and I bet there might be a plan for the Navigator to have it too so that way the Expy keeps the 5.4 325 hp and the Navi can get the 425 hp engine
That WOULD be nice - but I have to say - I'm not very confident about it happening. The trade-in value for full-size SUVs is either almost nothing - or absolutely nothing at all - in other words, your trade is simply rejected altogether. No matter what the condition, year, etcetera - it just doesn't matter. Full-size SUVs, right now, are nearly worthless as soon as they're driven out of the showroom...

So, I'm thinking the Navigator is either going to be downsized - or available only in a very limited production. In a limited production scenario, the 6.2 liter engine would really be viable..

Sal, I'm in the middle of moving...
if you're a member there, feel free to quote it :)
& TY
Not sure what you mean.....

·
Banned
1,436 Posts
I do like the idea of Aluminum. It sounds cool and it gives Ford a tech edge in forums like this. But it will cost a fortune and just try and repair it if needed. I bet insurance would double too. And for what? A little less weight? There are other things that can help. Ask the Audi guys about cost repairing their car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts