GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
I think the first step should be canning the Modular series and bringing back, and basing everything, off the Five . Oh / 320
sure ...

the new 5.0l ( a bored out mod) is going to surprise many people - this engine is saving Ford's pants after the 6.2l came out as a failure in internal testing. The MOD might be a little light on torque under 2,000rpm, but it is a nice engine - it is not class leading, but neither was the old Windsor - which BTW is less efficient and less clean.

The biggest problem with the MOD's - tiny bore - is being addressed and the 5.0l is perfectly square and in its most basic form as a truck engine will deliver 350hp - in Mustang form 380-400hp and with DI - 425hp. an EB Twin Turbo version is also coming. To boot - in all applications is delivers impressive GM meeting mileage.

The MOD is not dead - it is actually just about to start kicking some serious butt.

Oh - and it was already suggested : 5.9l V10 - hmmmm ..

Igor

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
well just think of a F-150 with a I4 hybrid-ecoboost engine in it getting 28 mpg!!
the problem with combining TURBO and HYBRID is the redundancy of TORQUE.

The Turbo adds a lot of torque, and so does the hybrid. What the EL Engine lack is HORSEPOWER - and while the TURBO would add some - it is not its main merit.

There is very little use for anything else by a tiny, low TQ - high HP gasoline engine with a HYBRID system. The rest - like EB, Diesel, etc is overkill.

I4 EB in F100 will meet or pass 25mpg HWY and probably 18-20 MPG city.

Igor

1 - 2 of 2 Posts