GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it has been said that the Ford hybrids feel like they have the power of a V6. Ford says that ecoboost will make I4s feel like V6s. What if they put them together? Think of the possibilities. You would have smalls I4s (1.3, 1.4, 1.6) feeling like V6s with better fuel economy than the I4. You would have normal
I4s feeling like V8s with better fuel economy than the I4. You would have
V6s feeling like V10s or V12s with better fuel economy than the V6. You would have V8s feeling like W16s with better fuel economy than the V8. You would have V10s feeling like W20s(do they exist in cars!!!) with better fuel economy than the V10. :bounce:

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
its not a bad idea but the problem will be the price and if the turbo will fit in the already packed engine with the hybrid system and I think why not go with the Hybrid diesel and use biodiesel in them

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
I think the first step should be canning the Modular series and bringing back, and basing everything, off the Five . Oh / 320

·
Banned
1,436 Posts
The previous Escape hybrid already had "V6" acceleration. The 2009 has increased it's 0-60 by about 1.7 secs and still gets incredible fuel economy. No need for added cost of a small I4 with boost and DI.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
well just think of a F-150 with a I4 hybrid-ecoboost engine in it getting 28 mpg!!
F-100 maybe but you will never see an I-4 in an F-150 anytime soon I would bet, cafe or not.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
i could expect the tt v6 on the F150 and if its able to hit 25mpg combined im a happy camper

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
I think the first step should be canning the Modular series and bringing back, and basing everything, off the Five . Oh / 320
sure ...

the new 5.0l ( a bored out mod) is going to surprise many people - this engine is saving Ford's pants after the 6.2l came out as a failure in internal testing. The MOD might be a little light on torque under 2,000rpm, but it is a nice engine - it is not class leading, but neither was the old Windsor - which BTW is less efficient and less clean.

The biggest problem with the MOD's - tiny bore - is being addressed and the 5.0l is perfectly square and in its most basic form as a truck engine will deliver 350hp - in Mustang form 380-400hp and with DI - 425hp. an EB Twin Turbo version is also coming. To boot - in all applications is delivers impressive GM meeting mileage.

The MOD is not dead - it is actually just about to start kicking some serious butt.

Oh - and it was already suggested : 5.9l V10 - hmmmm ..

Igor

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
well just think of a F-150 with a I4 hybrid-ecoboost engine in it getting 28 mpg!!
the problem with combining TURBO and HYBRID is the redundancy of TORQUE.

The Turbo adds a lot of torque, and so does the hybrid. What the EL Engine lack is HORSEPOWER - and while the TURBO would add some - it is not its main merit.

There is very little use for anything else by a tiny, low TQ - high HP gasoline engine with a HYBRID system. The rest - like EB, Diesel, etc is overkill.

I4 EB in F100 will meet or pass 25mpg HWY and probably 18-20 MPG city.

Igor

·
Registered
551 Posts
Haven't the Japanese car companies doing this for years? Case in point the Impreza/Lancer rivalries.

As far as turbos. I'm not that big of a fan. The last turbo I test drove was a Mitsu Eclipse (long time ago, obviously) the turbo lag in that was horrible. Plus, premium fuel is recommended for turbos. You sacrifice fuel cost for a mere 20-40 hp difference. That could easily be gained with exhaust/intake work. Might even increase fuel economy too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts