7. Honda Civic

8. Ford Explorer

9. Chevrolet Impala

10. Chevrolet Cavalier

Source: MSN

·
Registered
790 Posts
the cav outsold the focus? wow, that really surpises me. i bet the malibu makes it on that list next year. they are getting rave reviews for it in both car mags and consumer mags.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Trust me, the only reason the Cavalier outsold the focus is due to its really low price (below Aveo level) and fleet sales...

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
Yeah, they never sell Focus' to feets. :blink:

The rebates and the fact that the Focus is a highly recalled crap box also helped.
A 9 year old platform and body style outsold a much newer one!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm surprised the Taurus is doing so well. We have one of the newer ones as a government car. The only reason I drive the thing is to save gas money. IMO Camry is light years ahead of Taurus.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
It makes me sick to say that (because I hate them both), but from this list I only would consider buying the toyota and the accord...
the new malibu is a nice car, but everything else on this list...

·
Registered
776 Posts
Have you driven a Camry? I can't believe those things sell. Their suspension not only manages to give you a stiff ride, but still suck during any sort of dynamic driving. Usually you get one or the other. Oh, the much talked about Toyota interior looks like a boring expanse of tan plastic.

See, I was wondering if maybe there was something I was missing, so I've been test-driving everything I can get my hands on. (I've also been bored :D ) I love my GM's even more after driving the heaps Japan is flushing onto our roads.
However, I do give props to the Accord, I was totally put off the brand after driving my girl's '01 Civic, but the Accord is a different animal. It has uber-stiff ride but at least it handles ok, and the engine is weak, but can pull for enough RPM's it actually wheezes out some performance.

After driving all sorts of crap I figure Toyota and Honda want to be like BMW---
"Hey guys, if we put a high sticker on our cars people will think they're great.....Just because of the sticker price!! Mwahahahaha!"

Too bad American consumers fall for that crap every time.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yeah, I've driven a Camry on a number of occasions. Keep in mind I'm comparing it to a Taurus though. Here are my impressions on the Camry....

Very quiet, rides nice, engine power is pretty good (it can get out if it's own way). Handling is better than I expected.

That said....It's a very bo-ring car! I get the feeling I'm driving around in a sensory depravation chamber! I prefer excitement. I like to hear the engine. I like to know and feel what the car is doing.

Would I buy a Camry? No. Given the choice of only Taurus and Camry? Well, maybe then. If I was desperate. Maybe I'm odd, but I much prefer my Z28!

If I needed a car with more utility I'd probably go with a Maxx LS. :)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
of course I like too "driving excitement"! My w/e car is a '89 GTA 350 tpi, I definately don't like boring ride... but people who buy camry/acord, want reliability first. thy are one step from getting an suv or minivan. now, is a minivan a "driver's" car??
seriously, I have NO ideea who buys taurus, they should simply disapear, they don't stand a chance.

we need serious cars, like the new malibu!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Originally posted by Hudson@Jan 23 2004, 06:34 PM
If you were to add in the 196,000 Sierras, GM's two brands (and 2,000 more dealers) would pass Ford's one brand by a lowly 60,000 units.
Also, add the Century, Regal, Monte, Impala, and Grand Prix and they would outsell the Camry and Accord by 200,000 units. And thats not even including the N-Car... thats where GM gets hurt - proliferated brands... but It helps provide variety and gain more sales...

·
Registered
43,819 Posts
Good grief!! :eek:
The Impala is on the list????? I went on a 1 month business trip around the US, which gave me a chance to sample a lot of rental cars. I sooooo wanted to get rid of the mazda 626 and Impala and Monte Carlo. The only car that impressed me was this Buick Regal I had. It had a LOT more pep than I ever expected and had decent handling.

UGH... of all the cars in GM's lineup... the Impala. :plasma:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Originally posted by mgescuro@Jan 24 2004, 01:03 AM
The Impala is on the list????? I went on a 1 month business trip around the US, which gave me a chance to sample a lot of rental cars. I sooooo wanted to get rid of the mazda 626 and Impala and Monte Carlo. The only car that impressed me was this Buick Regal I had. It had a LOT more pep than I ever expected and had decent handling.

UGH... of all the cars in GM's lineup... the Impala. :plasma:
key word rental fleet. i like the new impala i drive my parents sometimes and it is great. im thinking of getting one for myself.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Originally posted by Hudson@Jan 23 2004, 06:34 PM
If you were to add in the 196,000 Sierras, GM's two brands (and 2,000 more dealers) would pass Ford's one brand by a lowly 60,000 units.
Geez hudson
Lowly 60000 units? Last time I checked there were entire models that dont sell more than 30000 units. I dont think 60000 units is lowly. :type:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Originally posted by Smilingoat+Jan 24 2004, 08:02 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Smilingoat @ Jan 24 2004, 08:02 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mgescuro@Jan 24 2004, 01:03 AM
The Impala is on the list?????  I went on a 1 month business trip around the US, which gave me a chance to sample a lot of rental cars.  I sooooo wanted to get rid of the mazda 626 and Impala and Monte Carlo.  The only car that impressed me was this Buick Regal I had.  It had a LOT more pep than I ever expected and had decent handling.

UGH... of all the cars in GM's lineup... the Impala.  :plasma:
key word rental fleet. i like the new impala i drive my parents sometimes and it is great. im thinking of getting one for myself. [/b][/quote]
The Impala has the highest quality rating for the past 3 years in its segment... bettering camry, accord... the exterior styling is good, however, the interior is very outdated. Overall a very good car - gets fuel mileage awards, has suffiicent power and does the job well... wait till '06 and see a honda/toyota killer... trust me.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by SilverZ+Jan 24 2004, 02:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SilverZ @ Jan 24 2004, 02:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 24 2004, 08:02 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-mgescuro
@Jan 24 2004, 01:03 AM
The Impala is on the list?????  I went on a 1 month business trip around the US, which gave me a chance to sample a lot of rental cars.  I sooooo wanted to get rid of the mazda 626 and Impala and Monte Carlo.  The only car that impressed me was this Buick Regal I had.  It had a LOT more pep than I ever expected and had decent handling.

UGH... of all the cars in GM's lineup... the Impala.  :plasma:

key word rental fleet. i like the new impala i drive my parents sometimes and it is great. im thinking of getting one for myself.
The Impala has the highest quality rating for the past 3 years in its segment... bettering camry, accord... the exterior styling is good, however, the interior is very outdated. Overall a very good car - gets fuel mileage awards, has suffiicent power and does the job well... wait till '06 and see a honda/toyota killer... trust me. [/b][/quote]
I hope so. My parents qualify (sadly) as the Honda crowd. They were looking seriously @ the Impala and said "...well, this would have been good five years ago..." OUCH! Then again, my mother, the Accord driver, went to test-drive a new one and said "Ummm... This doesn't drive like my old Accord (1996)..." She complained the handling was far more of a large car than that of the old Accord...

Now she's on an AWD kick... looking at 2-3 yr old Audi A4 and A6's. She loves the SAAB 9-3, but again WANTS AWD. And she doesn't like the Subarus...

Gotta love car shopping...

My father is also shopping...for a pickup or SUV... likes the Colorado, but was turned off by the reclining seats being a package... now he's flocking to the Nissan Titan <_<

That looks like 2 more lost sales for GM... :(

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
We need to get Ram off the top 10, like we did with the Ford Explorer. If we do, Malibu might have room to get inside. Malibu needs to attack the competitors. Saying that the Malibu has more mpg in its class, and more features for less money will make the Malibu more famous, instead of showing stupid commercials with people getting out and into the car. That won't help :plasma:
Gm's gotta attack the imports, and get them away. Just like Toyota is able to attack the domestic by saying 'we've got the better selection than any other automaker'. GM needs to get cracking, and say bad stuff about the imports. If it works, I'll be seeing an American Revolution soon. When Chevy gets the Impala, Cavalier, Malibu, Silverado, and Trailblazer packed into the top 20, that's when they stop attacking. When they get them into the top 10, they have to provide cool new features to give the vehicles a fresh look. By 2007, here's what I want to see:

1. Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra (if they would count them together)
450,000 units

2. Ford F-150
345,000 units

3. Chevrolet Malibu
325,000 units

4. Toyota Camry
300,000 units

5. Chevrolet Impala
260,000 units

6. Chevrolet Cobalt
259,000 units

7. Honda Accord
245,000 units

8. Chevrolet Trailblazer
235,000 units

9. Pontiac G6
230,000 units

10. Honda Civic/Ford Taurus
210,000 units

:D Yeah, in my dreams. Until Chevy can redesign Impala, and finally make it good, don't expect my dreams to become reality....but still, Chevrolet looks to be doing good in the sales. Congrats Chevy.

·
Registered
43,819 Posts
:lol:
That's unrealistic... yup. Grand Am used to be on the Top 10 list. But now I guess it's an "unloved" car? Hmmm... Whatever.
G6 has the potential. I'd like to see the Impala out of the Top 10. A car that ugly outside and inside and lack luster performance doesn't deserve a spot in the Top 10. i think Cobalt sould easily hit those numbers. I'd like to see ION climb up into the list too... once they fix its perceived problems.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts