GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like we're still buying cars because we love this great nation. Take a look:
The latest study run by J.D. Power and Associates has found that the desire to ‘buy American’ still has a significant influence in convincing new car buyers in the U.S. to pick a domestic brand over an import. According to the 2007 Escaped Shopper Study, nearly 80% of new car buyers limit their choices to either domestic models or only import models.
Looks like the damage Consumer Reports is still alive and well, however. From further down the article:
On the other hand, import buyers who reject a domestic model usually do so because of perceived vehicle attribute deficiencies such as reliability, quality, mileage and resale values.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/news/detroit-3-sales-still-depend-on-‘buy-american’-adage/

THE ONLY THING DETROIT NEEDS TO CHANGE IS CONSUMER REPORTS AS A GOING ENTITY. IF CONSUMER REPORTS WERE TO BE 'WIPED OFF THE MAP' GENERAL MOTOR'S PROBLEMS WOULD BE OVER!!!

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
The latest study run by J.D. Power and Associates has found that the desire to ‘buy American’ still has a significant influence in convincing new car buyers in the U.S. to pick a domestic brand over an import. According to the 2007 Escaped Shopper Study, nearly 80% of new car buyers limit their choices to either domestic models or only import models.
That statistic doesn't make any sense. If it were true, GM and Ford would be kicking toyota's ass right now.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
Did you miss the "or only imports" part of that quote? It is stating that there is a very large segment of the buying public that will never by a domestic, even if it dispenses ice cream out the tail pipe and smells like happy all day long.

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
Ohhh. Right. I misread that part.
Quite frankly, there's also a very large percentage of the population who don't realize what they're getting themselves into...

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
Ohhh. Right. I misread that part.
Quite frankly, there's also a very large percentage of the population who don't realize what they're getting themselves into...
I guess I would fall in the slim 20% that would buy both. I have huge domestic leanings today, but would not take an import off the table altogether.

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
Given the recent percentages of market share the Big 3 hold, I would say patriotism has little to do with it. Many Americans have been burnt after buying American vehicles over the years. They had enough and turned to imports. Unless import vehicles disappoint their owners, you can forget patriotism. People continue to do business with companies that build reliable, dependable vehicles. Only a select few are brand loyal.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
How are 80% sticking with domestics and 80% sticking with imports?

·
Premium Member
8,004 Posts
I didn't know Patriotism was defined by what products we purchase....

I thought it had something to do with practicing freedom by way of our Constitution.

Silly me...

·
Registered
4,660 Posts

I thought it had something to do with practicing freedom by way of our Constitution.

Silly me...
Thank you! My "patriotism" was questioned by a certain person. And I'm thinking to myself......I'm in the United States Air Force serving my country, and I'll buy what ever the F I feel like buying.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
You got an Armada? Im not questioning your Patriotism, but your thought process!!
Not a fan of that truck...not at all. Not cause its a Nissan.

·
Banned
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You got an Armada? Im not questioning your Patriotism, but your thought process!!
Not a fan of that truck...not at all. Not cause its a Nissan.
Lol, I agree with your post here, Big Al. I too was worried about his cognitive thinking processes! ;)

·
Banned
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Silly me...
To say that buying a non-Detroit car is not unpatriotic is... a treasonable idea.

·
Premium Member
8,004 Posts
To say that buying a non-Detroit car is not unpatriotic is... a treasonable idea.
You are welcome to 'believe' what you want.
I will fight for that 'belief'.

On the other hand you can kiss my lilly white 'Teasonable' ass.

Fair enough?

You do not have a clue to what is or what is not being patriotic.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think that there IS an element of patriotism to buying American. Patriotism means putting your nation first, sacrifice for your country, singing the National Anthem at the ball game, believing your country is right, etc...

Why can't part of that "putting your nation first" be buying American when you can?

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
It's all just opinion. I believe that buying an American product does have elements of patriotism in it. A lot of people don't. But in the end, it just boils down to what your morals are and how you view the concept of "patriotism."

1 - 20 of 51 Posts