GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it was a hell of a week of motorsports for me. First, I drove Road America in my '02 Z06, then I drove back to watch the American Le Mans Series run the same track I had just driven the previous week. Cool to watch a race on a track that I just drove.

Here's some pics of the race that I took during the weekend with my POS "old school" Canon Sure Shot.

Me with Johhny O'Connell and Jan Magnussen. I actually met Jan at the "drivers bar" Seipkins in Elkhart Lake a few nights prior when having a few beers, but I was to chicken **** to talk with him. Mainly, I didn't want to bug the guy.

Jorg Bergmeister, driver of the #45 Flying Lizard Porsche GT2 car.

Sascha Maassen, Patrick Long and Romain Dumas, drivers of the Penske Porsche RS Spyder LMP2 car.

Entrance to Turn 5

more Entrance to Turn 5

Turn 6. A blind corner, around dusk.

more Turn 6

Corvette at Turn 6, mid-afternoon

5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, I was there too! Did you see my pics and videos in the "Check This Out" section of the forums?

Nice pics. I didn't go to the driver signing.
No. But I will now. Where were you sitting?

I was there all 4 days, but was in the VIP Tower for Sat and Sun. Awesome race. I talked with some of the crew guys on Sunday when they were less busy, and this TDI guy said that was the best race of the season so far. The Maseratti spinning on the last lap was epic. He was 1st, lost 1st and was trying to retake it when he spun.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
No. But I will now. Where were you sitting?

I was there all 4 days, but was in the VIP Tower for Sat and Sun. Awesome race. I talked with some of the crew guys on Sunday when they were less busy, and this TDI guy said that was the best race of the season so far. The Maseratti spinning on the last lap was epic. He was 1st, lost 1st and was trying to retake it when he spun.

I always move around while I'm there, I never sit in one place for a very long time. I really need to start bringing my bike though, it's a lot of walking to go from place to place.

I didn't stay until the end though.:( Had a hangover and my ibuprofen was starting to wear off. I left around six or so. What car won?

5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Dude, the final lap was epic. The #61 Maserati GT2 car had first, then lost first, then was trying to re-take first on the last lap when he spun entering 5. Tried to out-brake on the inside, then lost it. The Farnbacher-Loles Porsche won GT2 with the Flying LIzard Porsche of Jorg Bergmiester taking 2nd.

The O'Connell/Magnussen Corvette won GT1 with Aston-Martin 2nd following the Gavin/Beretta Corvette finishing 3rd after dominating most of the race only to off in the Kink.

Audi finished 1-2 in LMP1 after the LMP2 Patron Acura had the overall lead with about 11 minutes remaining. The Audis were able to chase him down thanks to a yellow. The Patron Acura won LMP2. Strange cuz they seemed slow Thur-Sat. I thought the Penske Spyder LMP2 was fast when watching them the days leading up to the race.

I talked with one of the Audi pit dudes on Sunday and he felt this was one of the best races all year. We also talked about how the ALMS, and road racing in general, in the States would have taken off had Dale lived and driven for Corvette, which he was working to make happen. But that's besides the point.

I too moved around on Thur-Sat. I had VIP tickets for Sat and Sunday but left mid-race to watch from 5 and 6. Ohh, some Playboy bunnies were in the VIP booth next to us. They were nice to watch all weekend. They were there to support the Playboy MX-5 Cup which raced on Sunday.

Awsome venue to watch racing. The smell I can't get out of my head is the smell of those brakes.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Dude, the final lap was epic. The #61 Maserati GT2 car had first, then lost first, then was trying to re-take first on the last lap when he spun entering 5. Tried to out-brake on the inside, then lost it. The Farnbacher-Loles Porsche won GT2 with the Flying LIzard Porsche of Jorg Bergmiester taking 2nd.

The O'Connell/Magnussen Corvette won GT1 with Aston-Martin 2nd following the Gavin/Beretta Corvette finishing 3rd after dominating most of the race only to off in the Kink.

Audi finished 1-2 in LMP1 after the LMP2 Patron Acura had the overall lead with about 11 minutes remaining. The Audis were able to chase him down thanks to a yellow. The Patron Acura won LMP2. Strange cuz they seemed slow Thur-Sat. I thought the Penske Spyder LMP2 was fast when watching them the days leading up to the race.

I talked with one of the Audi pit dudes on Sunday and he felt this was one of the best races all year. We also talked about how the ALMS, and road racing in general, in the States would have taken off had Dale lived and driven for Corvette, which he was working to make happen. But that's besides the point.

I too moved around on Thur-Sat. I had VIP tickets for Sat and Sunday but left mid-race to watch from 5 and 6. Ohh, some Playboy bunnies were in the VIP booth next to us. They were nice to watch all weekend. They were there to support the Playboy MX-5 Cup which raced on Sunday.

Awsome venue to watch racing. The smell I can't get out of my head is the smell of those brakes.

You have to move around, the track is huge. My favorite spots to sit are Canada corner and the hill on the south side of Toyota bridge (turn 5). There's also a concession stand atop the hill on the North side of the bridge (above the racing school building) where you have a great view.

I missed the playboy bunnies?:(

So did you stay at a hotel or did you camp at the track?

5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I stayed at a cheap hotel about 10 minutes east of the track on 23.

I'll be back next year. RA did a great job. You could get great access anywhere around the track. Except Kettle Bottoms, proably more for safeties sake. Lots of porta-potties and plenty of places to get food around the track. Great place. And the drivers LOVE the track.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
I stayed at a cheap hotel about 10 minutes east of the track on 23.

I'll be back next year. RA did a great job. You could get great access anywhere around the track. Except Kettle Bottoms, proably more for safeties sake. Lots of porta-potties and plenty of places to get food around the track. Great place. And the drivers LOVE the track.

RA is like that for every race. They didn't do anything special for the American Le Mans race (other than the warthogs flying over during the national anthem). That's just how great RA is.

Glad you enjoyed it.

5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's some great pics a guy I met at Turn 6 took. I'll post a few, but I'll send you the link Riff. If any of you want to see these great pics looking right into the drivers visor, send me a PM and I'll send you the link.

The #62 Maserati GT2 car spinning at Turn 5 on the last lap. He was in first at the time.

Audi running 1-2 late in the race. This is a great shot.

What GMI forum would not include a pic of the C6.R. Here's the #4 C6.R a little off line exiting Turn 5. He used all of the track here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.