GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week's series ended with Boyd Coddington's team completing and showing the "junk yard dog", a 56 Chevy that started as a junk yard car.
That thing is beautiful and when they started that 502 motor, it was great.

After watching American Chopper, one sees 2 types of personalities at work. Old man Tuttle in the chopper series throwing stuff around as well as his weight. Then there is Boyd Coddington who is much calmer and more analytical about his work.

Boy, that 56 is fine.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
that 56 did come out nice. but i really dont like the show. i mean, wheres the challange in a large,well staffed, well equiped, well organized, professional shop assembling a car?
now if there was a show that featured and smaller/unknown shop TRYING to create similiar quality cars, it might make for an interesting show.

BTW, looks on the show like they are trying to emphasize the conflict between boyd and his x wife (the accountant). for lack of any real difficulty in their projects.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Originally posted by Pontiaddict@Feb 16 2004, 12:08 AM
What conflict bewteen Boyd and his ex wife? I haven't seen the 2 of them in the same room together on the show.
not sure which episode, but the the one where they were working on that blue/yellow roadster.. he got pissed because she wouldn't write a check for some parts that came in, went to talk to her they yelled at each other for awhile etc etc.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Who cares about his wife!
If there was any tension it was due to the chief body man taking off to see his dieing father. The team was up against a deadline and the mechanic types were uneasy about doing the body work. When he returned that Saturday morning, the team was back to normal and confident about their work.
And the car did start as a rusting hulk from a junk yard.

Regarding team Coddington's abilities, they are top notch. I don't think you are going to see them make a show from the perspective of a bunch of Joe's doing the work.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Originally posted by 69nova@Feb 16 2004, 09:44 AM
Who cares about his wife!
If there was any tension it was due to the chief body man taking off to see his dieing father. The team was up against a deadline and the mechanic types were uneasy about doing the body work. When he returned that Saturday morning, the team was back to normal and confident about their work.
And the car did start as a rusting hulk from a junk yard.

Regarding team Coddington's abilities, they are top notch. I don't think you are going to see them make a show from the perspective of a bunch of Joe's doing the work.
editors seem to care about his x-wife.. her yelling is seems to make all the commercials. they could spend less on that and more showing the actual making of the car. for example, the part where the body man was explaining how in the old days they used lead to fill seems in sheet metal.

as for their abilities being top notch, i dont doubt that. just that IMO it makes for a boring show.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I remember in an old tv show where a guy was lowering a motor into the car. He was standing by the engine hoist (at least that is the way I recall the footage) and somebody was taking home movies.
The motor was sitting over the car and the hoist became unstable. The motor swung forward, all hell broke loose and the motor went through the windshield and landed in the driver's seat.

I guess that car became one of those ebay specials. Work in progress restoration.

They should keep the wife, etc out of the show. They could fill up the hour quickly with the body work, etc.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Originally posted by IMPALAon20s@Feb 16 2004, 02:42 PM
not sure which episode, but the the one where they were working on that blue/yellow roadster.. he got pissed because she wouldn't write a check for some parts that came in, went to talk to her they yelled at each other for awhile etc etc.
That was between someone in the machine shop and her.
She makes a big deal over everything because the producers think it makes the show more interesting. They do the same thing to pretty much every reality show / documentary.
And I agree that she shouldn't be on the show whining up a storm.

On another not, they seemed to go a little crazy with the bondo on that 56. Not nearly as bad as alot of car's I've seen, but pretty bad for a big name shop. I do realize that a little is neccesary to get everything perfect, and that they were on a tight schedule so the car didn't get as much metal work as it would have if they had more time to work on it. But you have to draw the line somewhere and I think that they were just on the other side of it.

The car does look good though.

·
Registered
373 Posts
That show is so scripted ;) American chopper is so much better. And for real life paul Sr is actually much nicer then paul jr. But the discovery channels asked them to make it more dramatic. How do i know? I met them at a bike show in Sullivan County. They gave me a hat. :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts