GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm a newbie.

I am currently an owner of an import car.....yea yea(booo booo) I get it.

:D Its a 1993, the car still runs. I'm closing in on 150K, the only REAL dissapointment I've had in my import car is the air conditioning. I'm looking to buy a car around next summer, and was wondering if you guys/gals are happy with your American Air Condition????????

Seeing as how I can get a American car with more hp for the buck as compared to current Civics, the RSX, Camrys, Accords etc., and the improvement in American cars in the last few years, I've been leaning American recently.

I live in Texas....so air conditioning is a MUST. So please give input and which cars/companies have the best A/C.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I rarely use A/C even though it gets quite hot during the summers here. But beyond my Grand Am needing a recharge, both my cars seem to be doing good as far as the A/C. No complaints.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Skie@May 10 2004, 03:51 AM
I rarely use A/C even though it gets quite hot during the summers here. But beyond my Grand Am needing a recharge, both my cars seem to be doing good as far as the A/C. No complaints.
No way Illinois can compete with Texas in the summer, at times we get 100-110 range.

I was kind of casually looking at Grand Am's so its good to know that they do well.

Basically mine was just like a fan blowing "cool" air.....not really COLD air. Then it went out late last summer, so now its like a fan blowing "warm" air. Embarrassing when friends and others are catching a ride.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Can't that be fixed?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well when my parents, were the original owners of the car, they tried and tried to get it fixed.

Ideas such as "Oh it needs more coolant", or "Oh try this...try that."

My Grandparents had problems with their Lincoln, so they took it to a shop for 2 weeks and for $500 they got a whole new unit that blew out COLD COLD air. However their Lincoln belw COLD air to begin with, so they were just being picky. You can be picky when you own a Lincoln.

My Civic's cooling is like a fan.....more than an A/C. The A/C has never been STRONG, and Honda has done little to improve it over the years. In 1999, when my parents were looking for a new car.....the Honda Civic A/C was pretty much the same.......just plain sucked. The Accord is a little better, but the Civic is a joke.

It's a 1993 closing in on a 150K, so spending $500 on a luxury item..isn't worth it to me. I've already begun looking at new cars rather than continuing pouring money into my Civic. With newer models such as the Cobalt, Grand Am, etc I've been looking American recently.......Honda is pretty much X'ed out in my decision.

Overpricing due to a name, bad A/C, and they've been selling the same 120-130 top of the line engine for 12 yrs now. No improvement in 12 yrs.......I'm not wasting my money on that.

·
Registered
524 Posts
GM cars have always had good AC. A friend of my father had a 55 Buick with original AC. It blew air colder than any AC I've ever felt. After a 30 minute drive there was a half an inch of frost on the AC lines. :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by T-Keith@May 10 2004, 08:05 PM
GM cars have always had good AC. A friend of my father had a 55 Buick with original AC. It blew air colder than any AC I've ever felt. After a 30 minute drive there was a half an inch of frost on the AC lines. :D
That's torture to hear that......knowing that my A/C even on a prisoner transfer bus, would be disallowed because it's cruel and unusual punishment.

·
Registered
319 Posts
My Montecarlos A/C will give an air temp of 36-38 degrees. My older Gms I have had to have a few parts replaced. The 1981 Bonneville with the new Compressor and R-134 can do an air temp of 34-36 degrees. Same as before when it had a full charge of R-12.

·
Registered
922 Posts
The coldest air I have ever had was in my 89 Corsica. With the blue interior it just made it seem even colder, I loved it. The bad thing though was that car was way too big for the little 2.0 engine and the air made it even more of a dog.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
All manufacturers are in the same boat here with R-134 and new freons verse R-12, they just aren't as effiencent.

Blower motors and some moldy smells are the only problems I have seen with GM ac's

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
i've got a vibe (so it's toyota a/c), and the system is very weak. i'm very dissapointed with it. i'm in ontario, so i don't have texas heat to deal with, but on hot days the a/c makes it comfortable, but not cold. the system had to be recharged after the first year of owning the car, and while i've had it tested and it's up to spec, it just flat out sucks. the GM and ford a/c systems i've experienced are much better. heck, even our old geo tracker a/c worked amazingly after 10 years.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The coldest AC I've ever seen in a car was in a 55 Buick. We're talking about turn it down in 90deg heat, 1/4" of frost on the lines cold.

-T

·
Registered
69 Posts
GM has good AC, I'd say Buick has the best, but I know that they're all the same. The coldest AC I've had was in a 86 Buick Century, 2.5L as soon as you started the car it was instantly cold. I'd stay away from the auto climate control as those can be buggy. My 91 Park took me about a month to finally get the bugs out. But it works great now.
AC is amazingly easy to work on if you're not scared of it. I routinly charge peoples AC for $10, and still make a 40% profit. Gm's AC is easy to work on, and cheap to fix. The retrofit to R134A is easy too. But any car made after 94 will be R134A.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Drove a sunfire rental car recently (a 2004) and the AC was fantastic. Blew chilled air as soon as the car was started and it was uncomfortably freezing cold within minutes.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Originally posted by doh@Jul 6 2004, 09:02 AM
All manufacturers are in the same boat here with R-134 and new freons verse R-12, they just aren't as effiencent.

Blower motors and some moldy smells are the only problems I have seen with GM ac's
This happens with our mazda protege (98) too... so It's more or less normal behavior.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Two of our GM cars currently have A/C: The 85 Delta 88 blows really cold air (After more than 200,000 miles) and the '94 Cutlass does almost as well, but I think the shape of the interior in the Cutlass and it's bigger greenhouse make it not quite as good as the Delta. Being on the West Coast, it doesn't really matter, as when it hits 90 degrees, neither car takes long to cool down. It doesn't ever get warmer than that.

My better half's Grand Am is A/C free, and dark burgundy inside and out. It's HOT all the time.

And once again, I'm with Michigan. No one on the planet builds better A/C or automatic transmisions than GM. Even Jag used GM A/C and transmssions for the longest time.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Gm and Ford used the same compressors for the longest time too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts