GM Inside News Forum banner
101 - 106 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
18,757 Posts
No, and why would they? The people investing in oil are making a killing right now, why lower the price with increased supply? This is capitalism disguised as environmentalism, always has been. It's also an American fantasy to be the next OPEC and we can't do that in future if we're using it now.....besides, if we're willing to pay over $5.00 per gallon, what incentive is their to lower the price?

I've never said we shouldn't use our own oil, never said we shouldn't build more refineries (which we have been, contrary to the post by whoever that was....), I've always advocated for ICE's AND EV's together as the only viable solution (despite my desire to own another EV, I know they're not practical for everyone right now, but that yes, they're practical for most people).
Oil companies make less than 10 cents per gallon on finished gasoline. They are making a killing of natural gas. It's literally a free product that flows freely during oil production and gives them an insane revenue stream. It's base price is up 85% over 1 year.

As far as "tax" holidays, it's an absolute sham still but it does show how much we are actually paying in taxes that are supposed to go back to us yet usually fill construction pockets.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Energy prices are crushing households; Saturday at the gas station, I was filling up my truck for the first time in about 3 weeks; 23 gallons in my truck and the other 12 gallons of my allowed $1.00 off at Kroger, in several gas cans. A younger couple yell over at me; "you must be rich, you can fill my car" (seeing the 4 cans in my pick-up bed).

I finished up, but before I left, I walked around to their side of the island, 10.1 gallons and exactly $50.00 they didn't even fill their tank.

#6 you think the biggest problem with US energy cost/production is the cost of steel? 😐
No, I just mentioned it because I don't think it has as much effect on us as the API does, they're the ones that said steel tariffs raised the price of fuel. "Crushing" households? Some, maybe, but there are worse things than rising fuel costs like rising food costs, housing and medical costs, stagnant wages don't help. It's all one big heaping mess.

·
Registered
22,398 Posts
No, I just mentioned it because I don't think it has as much effect on us as the API does, they're the ones that said steel tariffs raised the price of fuel. "Crushing" households? Some, maybe, but there are worse things than rising fuel costs like rising food costs, housing and medical costs, stagnant wages don't help. It's all one big heaping mess.
Do you think rising energy prices increases the cost of steel?

"there are worse things than rising fuel costs" ironically, rising fuel costs rises the cost of food and many-many-many other things...... wages haven't been stagnant, but I think that's what's in the future...

Housing is a bit of an odd one; on one hand "rents" are slow to rise, becasue people are typically locked-in to a price for 12 months or more, purchases, move much faster, rising rates is going to "fix" that, and corporate cost-cutting could absolutely wreck it.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Do you think rising energy prices increases the cost of steel?

"there are worse things than rising fuel costs" ironically, rising fuel costs rises the cost of food and many-many-many other things...... wages haven't been stagnant, but I think that's what's in the future...

Housing is a bit of an odd one; on one hand "rents" are slow to rise, becasue people are typically locked-in to a price for 12 months or more, purchases, move much faster, rising rates is going to "fix" that, and corporate cost-cutting could absolutely wreck it.
Wages haven't really increased since 2009....but I digress....
Again, I am NOT the one that said rising steel tariffs increase energy costs, the American Petroleum Institute stated that steel tariffs make the building of new refineries more expensive. I was merely commenting on that item in their list, nothing more.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Wages haven't really increased since 2009....but I digress....
Again, I am NOT the one that said rising steel tariffs increase energy costs, the American Petroleum Institute stated that steel tariffs make the building of new refineries more expensive. I was merely commenting on that item in their list, nothing more.
*Wages hadn't really increased since around '07, but they have certainly done so in the past 12 months.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
*Wages hadn't really increased since around '07, but they have certainly done so in the past 12 months.

That's true, not every industry, but yes they've gone up in some. Wages in the hospitality industry were pathetic and I still think tipped wages need to be illegal, but it's getting better. They pay Executive Chefs a large salary, but the people who do the line work or deal with all the "that's NOT medium rare" Karen's get squat. And this is coming from an Exec Chef.

101 - 106 of 106 Posts