GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
That’s great if we are also willing to build nuclear powerplants. France and Germany are ahead of us with their green agenda so you can look at both of them for our future results.

France has Nuclear and has kept the cost of electricity about the same. Germany on the other hand has had electric costs soar by comparison.
Germany has plans to shut down the last of their nuclear power plants by the end of this year, to be replaced with .... I think they forgot that part. They would HOPE to replace them with some form of "green" energy production, although they won't have any where near the needed green production by then. There's always gas and oil from Russia! Oh, wait....

Whatever happened to that German reputation for logic?

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
I've always favored reducing the size of our government. Not just the bureaucracy, but the people on top. The REAL problem. Permanent layoffs of half the Senators and Representatives in congress.

Let alone what we'd save directly in their wages (and bennies). What would you prefer, ONE legislator lining their pocket, and spending taxpayer money, or TWO legislators doing so? This would have to save BILLIONS! If it works, maybe we'll have a second round of layoffs. Then we can move down to the state level.

The founding fathers never envisioned 535 people doing that job.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
But then who would pick the crops, mow the lawns, do the roofs, do the drywall, cook in the restaurant or raise the 1%'s kids? Surely not Americans. We'd rather shuffle through WalMart in our pajamas and Crocs. If we want to stop illegal immigration, punish the companies that hire them. As long as someone, somewhere will hire them, they'll keep coming illegally. Illegal immigration has more than one culprit. Make it a $5,000 fine per illegal immigrant for the first offense, $10,000 per illegal immigrant for the second offense and corporate dissolution for the third offense.
Corporate dissolution is a non-starter. If you make the penalty too extreme, they just shut down, and start again under a new name. Not to mention the punishment actually affecting the innocent (legal) workers more than the owners.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Ok, so it was drastic, but they need to be punished for hiring illegals.
I know, and I agree.

Personally, I've never been particularly fond of blaming a company anyways. There's an actual PERSON (or people) responsible. If you can't identify the actual person that approved that illegal practice, take the guy on top. At the very least, it gives that guy the incentive to root out the actual perpetrator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts