GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac XT5
2,504 Posts
sad state, but so much of what is done, not just the government, is reactionary instead of proactive.
Global issue years in the making. Russia made it much worse. Biden won't make the right moves because his base is anti-oil so he will beg the criminals in Saudi for more oil instead.

Germany has plans to shut down the last of their nuclear power plants by the end of this year, to be replaced with .... I think they forgot that part. They would HOPE to replace them with some form of "green" energy production, although they won't have any where near the needed green production by then. There's always gas and oil from Russia! Oh, wait....Whatever happened to that German reputation for logic?
Germans like most western nations have been taken over by ESG minded people who think oil is dead and we should all be in EVs powered by the wind.

It all defies logic, common sense and most importantly, numbers. Numbers don't lie, peek oil demand won't hit for 15 years!

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac XT5
2,504 Posts
And what pray tell would be "the right moves"? We've increased oil production under Biden, ever so slightly, so I'm not sure that "anti-oil" argument holds.....uh, water. We aren't the only country suffering from lower OPEC production, but around 60% of our oil imports come from Canada so begging OPEC for anything is just scraps. The only thing begging OPEC could accomplish is to increase production to lower per barrel costs which affects the whole world. We only get about 11% of our oil from OPEC.
Some of this global oil issue today stems from the collapse in oil prices during Covid - no doubt. E&P expenditures collapsed and capacity did also. One of the presidents first moves when he took office was to kill Keystone XL which would have helped move 800,000+ barrels a day oil from Alberta. Just dumb, but that was a promise to the base. North America has all the oil it needs but instead of a pipeline, US still imports from middle east and apparently still Russia indirectly. Terrible.

This is a global issue but the US needs to take a leadership role in admitting we will need oil for a long time still. That will require incentives and easing of regulations, not just words telling oil companies to cut their prices. These things will not happen because of the commitments to climate change. Mark my words - we could see an energy crisis in the near future and it won't be pretty.

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac XT5
2,504 Posts
Keystone is only 8% complete, it wouldn't have helped by now if it had continued because it would still be being built, but that's irrelevant now. The oil that was going to be sent via the Keystone is now sent via rail and tanker so it still gets here, just not as easily. Our oil isn't what we turn into gasoline so it wouldn't help unless they redid all of our refineries. It's the wrong grade for gasoline production.
Keystone WAS only 8% complete when it was killed. It would be more than 1/2 done by now and oil producers would have been gearing up to supply it.

Capacity of rail is no-where near what the pipeline would have been. Not even close and the environmental impact of those trains moving crude is a disaster.

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac XT5
2,504 Posts
Regardless, it hasn't impacted the prices we're seeing. I don't remember saying I was against the pipeline, either. I made a satirical comment but never said it shouldn't have happened. America has a problem. We have an addiction. We need to kick it or nothing will change. We've known for almost 50 years that relying on foreign oil was hurting our economy and security but we did nothing. I'm blaming both sides of the aisle so please don't misconstrue my comments for support of either party.
Can we use less oil? - of course, but the idea of "kicking the habit" is ridiculous. We don't have anything that comes close to replacing it as a fuel or as an input for thousands of products.

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac XT5
2,504 Posts
We can bring in 10 times the oil from Canada that we do know, still won't change the price of gasoline. It's a global commodity. The only way that would help is if Canada sold only to us and we only used Canadian oil. Still not going to lower the price of gasoline. Why would they sell it only to us at a price that would make our gas cheaper when they can make more selling it to others? Are we going to invade Canada and claim their oil like we did Kuwait and Iraq? I don't know why people are latching onto the whole "Keystone XL as Savior - or is that Saver - of American Gas Prices" idea. Oil is a global commodity, sometimes it's up, sometimes it's down.....you think we'd be used to this cycle after nearly 60 years of it.
Keystone pipeline crude was scheduled for 100% export. Its demise has zero impact on US consumption, inventory or pricing.
Increasing global supply no matter where it goes lowers global prices. Canada can produce far more than it does but because the massive reserves are labeled "dirty tar sands", many global players have left Alberta. Instead - blood money seems more politically digestible in much of the world which is both sad and disturbing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts