GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From what I've seen, the design on the Chevy Volt is being raped by critics. Heck, there was a headline on yahoo about how much people hate the design.

Well, I for one love the design of the Volt. It's sleek, futuristic, and cool looking. Heck, if someone from the year 1950 asked what a futuristic car would look like, I would immediately point to the Chevy Volt.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Well since this is another thread about the styling of the Volt, I get to share my views again. The shape works, it's good.....even better than the concept.

But some of the styling elements were ripped off Back-to-the-Future style from the 1985 Ford EXP. Namely the excessive black striping under the side windows, and rear.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I love the design as well, much better than the concept.

·
Registered
44,160 Posts
Nope... and I'm one of GM's harshest critics.

I think it is subtlely aggressive while maintaining a contemporary look that appeases most customers out there, without looking like a cheese wedge on wheels.
THe interior also looks quite modern and contemporary.

I actually despised the original Volt concept. It had bad lines and bad angles and was just an unrefined mess. THis one is actually attractive.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I think it's great too and I was never a huge fan of the concept's styling.

The details are fantastic: side sculpting, narrow HID headlights, Volt emblem on the side, narrow neon-like LED taillights, diffuser look in the back, turbine-like wheels. All great, IMO.

I'm also a fan of the interior. Totally unique (for a car) and a perfect fit for the Volt and it's image.

My only dislike is the gray lower body cladding. I bet those will be body color at some point in the Volt's lifecycle.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I love it too, and it's exactly what I thought it would and should look like from concept to real world.

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
I think it's awesome! It looks like an everyday car, not an aerodynamic POS that looks like a wedge trying to cut through the air as efficiently as possible. Worlds better than the Prius and Insight. It blows them away.

·
Registered
7,170 Posts
I think it's really nice. The critics are out of their minds. And I think they're missing the point of the Volt anyway.

My reaction is, why doesn't the Cobalt look this good? Heck, I don't think the Cruze looks this good.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
I think it looks great.

But I do think there is merit to the argument that if it had a Toyota or Honda badge it would have a much different response.

And just to prove I'm not saying that just because I'm a fanboy, I also think there's merit to the idea that a Chevy bowtie was not the best choice of badging, regardless of where it gets sold.

It could help turn around the image of the Chevy brand, but then again it could see low sales because of the fact that so many Starbucks sippers would never be caught dead in a Chevy. It dredges up all sorts of bad images for people who haven't moved beyond the image of the Cavalier and Lumina yet, not to mention the Greenies and their hate of the Suburbans.

Toyota makes many cars in Japan that have unique badging, kind of like the old Chevy Monte Carlo, etc. used to have. I think the Volt might have been better served without a Chevrolet bow tie.

After all, most of the hard core bowtie fans I know are truck or Camaro guys. But that could be because I live in Texas.

The Corvette has no Chevy badge -- I think the Volt would have done better with a small "GM" badge in the grille, while still being sold by Chevy dealerships.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
^ Ming I hear what you're saying, and I know exactly what you mean. But this Volt goes a long way to help "grow" a new crop of Chevrolet fans.....and it may open up the eyes of the die-hards to see there's more to life than Camaros and trucks. I am glad to see Chevy embracing this kind of vehicle. ;)

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Coming from a gear head I think it looks pretty dam cool for an electric car. As far as people saying it looks the same as the prius, well, it does have four wheels, and 4 doors, so in that sense it looks the same! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
As I was looking at this thing in person today I was thinking, this thing would look really sexy with some nice blacked out windows. But man I thought this things looks a lot better in person than in the pics. Lower roof lines and so much sleeker looking than a Prius. The Prius looks a little bubbly/bland, but this thing looked like a nice sleek sporty car, actually have some style to it. Man I would so much rather have this than most other compact cars on the market. Its not going to get above an Astra or Mazda3 hatch, but way better than a Cobalt, civic or Corolla.

·
Registered
286 Posts
But I do think there is merit to the argument that if it had a Toyota or Honda badge it would have a much different response.
Good point. To me, it looks like a Civic. Hopefully this car succeeds, this might be your standard drivetrain in 10-20 years.

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
As I was looking at this thing in person today I was thinking, this thing would look really sexy with some nice blacked out windows. But man I thought this things looks a lot better in person than in the pics. Lower roof lines and so much sleeker looking than a Prius. The Prius looks a little bubbly/bland, but this thing looked like a nice sleek sporty car, actually have some style to it. Man I would so much rather have this than most other compact cars on the market. Its not going to get above an Astra or Mazda3 hatch, but way better than a Cobalt, civic or Corolla.
I think color plays a big roll in how a car is perceived. I think the Volt looks great in dark colors:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts