GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i sometimes drive my moms sts i put it into manual shift from regular auto and then sometimes down shift to use engine braking rather than using the brakes to slow down. does this cause damage to the transmission?

thanks

·
Registered
277 Posts
Thats how you drive in the mountains so as not to wear out your brakes by riding them all the way down when you need to slow down. Trying to hold the speed limit using your brakes going down a mountain is extremely stressful and can lead to over heating which IS NOT WHAT YOU WANT COMING DOWN A MTN! LOL!

What you are doing is simply mountain driving. Is it good for the transmision? Well, I don't know. It's pretty good on your brakes though, lol

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Is it a strait automatic, or a manuamatic? I'm pretty sure it's a straight auto, if so, you're causing undue strain on it, yes. If you wanna shift your own gears, drive a manual. Otherwise, let the transmission do it. The only time the manual shift functions should be used on regular automatics are when towing, pretty much.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
No, you're not.

All you are doing is applying an additional clutch which causes a one-way clutch to lock up and lock the engine to the input shaft. It's no harder on the transmission than driving down the road.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it a strait automatic, or a manuamatic? I'm pretty sure it's a straight auto, if so, you're causing undue strain on it, yes. If you wanna shift your own gears, drive a manual. Otherwise, let the transmission do it. The only time the manual shift functions should be used on regular automatics are when towing, pretty much.
its a manumatic

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.