GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gee hate to bug all of you kind people... But due to a recent promotion to manager at McDonalds (OK so I am a 17 year old junior in High School) I can afford to take on car payments.
My mom finally agreed to sign a loan sometime durring the summer (so I have a while) I am looking in the price range of 7-10K in my area my choices are(well the ones on which I can afford insurance):

S10
Blazer
Cadillac Catera
Cadillac Seville (94-97 depending on millage)

if you can think of anyother nice cars that you could recomend, or if you know of major problems with any of the cars i listed please let me know!
Thanx
Brandon

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Well... if you're a Camaro Z28 lover... why not a Camaro? My first car was an 89 IROC at 16. I'm 20 now, and i've made my way to an 01 Z28.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Of those I would go with the Catera. Even though the Blazer would be more a guy ride, the Catera looks sweet and has all the luxury. I think they are great little cars, and they way they depreciated they are a great buy.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
go to the dealers wich have them and ask for a test drive.
I personally dig the trans am/iroc's;
then, large sedans (olds 88, 98, intrigue, buick park ave, pon bonneville);
then, midsize 2 door (olds cutlass int'l, pontiac GP).

or, just get a '80's buick regal or olds or GP or monte rwd and ENJOY!

PS: did I mention trans am and iroc??

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Get an insurance quote for anything you are interested in. I was shocked that certain cars have vastly different premiums (with it seems, no particular pattern). This can work in your favor as well as against it. Any one of those you listed would be great... I had an '88 S10 Blazer... good truck, but I personally prefer cars... If I were you I'd pick a Catera. ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I want a car alot but I also dj... and I need cargo room, but I think I am going to just borrow the parents Astro when I dj. I want a Camaro or Firebird but I cant afford the insurance :( (i stlll look at them every time i look for cars though) I personally am leaning towards the Catera but i keep finding scary things online saying it is $50 for replacement wiper blades! Is that true does any one here have a Catera?

Thanx Everyone

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
If I was 16, I'd be VERY leary about getting a Catera. Their reliability record is pretty bad, and being a European car, I'm sure the outrageous part prices don't stop at the wiper blades.

I have a '98 Intrigue with a 3800, and it's a great driving car. With Olds going out of business, these cars have depreciated to ridiculously low prices. The 3800 is as trustworthy a motor as you are likely to find. I'm not sure about the new 3.5L Twin Cam V6's.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Yah the intrigue is a great choice and the 3800 is bullet proof, but the 3.5 would be sweet to have, you should consider that in your list of cars. Still though I would go for the Catera and get an extended warranty if you are worried about quality, the warranty's dont cost that much, and most of the Cateras I have seen on the lots still have some factory warranty left. As for the wiper blade I am not an authority on the price, but I highly doubt the wiper blade is $50.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Why not just get your own Astro? If I was a DJ I would. They usually go pretty cheap, and are relatively cheap to maintain (because they've been around forever they use much of the same parts). I see a lot of them on the roads from the mid-80's and up, still chuggin' along. Get a post 1996 one - that's the redesign year if memory serves.

I'd get a used Astro cargo van, give it a nice black paint job at Maaco and new rims. :D Those things are a great canvas for doing whatever you want with them. Blazers use the same engine but have much less cargo space. S-10's are OK, but do you want your stuff exposed to the elements?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't know about others but, I personally love the Grand Am and Alero. To me, they have great looks and confident engines. You could get a 99 or 00 for that price easily. My sister has a 99 Alero and loves it. Even if it is a 4 cyl!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Are you sure the insurance for a Camaro is too much? Have you even checked it out? What is a lot to you? I was comfortable paying 80 bucks a month for insurance on my IROC. I was under my parents policy of course.

I too would say that the Catera doesn't have the best reliability record. I don't know much about the car, but that's what i've heard.

I'm biased toward the car, especially a Camaro/Firebird. It's hard for me to even grasp not having a quick car. I'd be miserable :(

·
Registered
387 Posts
id go with the blazer a friend of mine has one and he loves it
they are def great cars for cargo (managed to fit like 4 guys week long campin stuff in one without foldin down the second row) but im not sure they would fit all ur DJ stuff since you probly have huge speakers like every other DJ. I think the Blazer would definatly be a better choice than the astro if u care what u look like but if u dont get what u want

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a speeding ticket for 20 over! For my 1993 Chevy Corsica I pay $165 a month! (for liability) So anything with a v8 or sports car like will probably be expensive.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh and my partner has an Astro, and I too am considering one. If I get an s10 i will buy a trailer probably

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by Camaroz28lover@Mar 6 2004, 02:03 PM
Oh and my partner has an Astro, and I too am considering one. If I get an s10 i will buy a trailer probably
That's kind of a pain. I've had a pickup / trailer combo before, but nothing beats getting in your van and knowing you'll always have the space without hooking anything up. Well a full size van at least. I've never owned an Astro, but assume a cargo van would have a lot of room.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I got my '85 Trans Am when I was 16 and a junior in high school. I was paying about $75 a month for insurance. It was only no fault though. I do live within 3 miles of Detroit though. If you get a 3rd gen, be aware that if you have full coverage and you get into a accident the insurance company will total it with out a question. Thats why I just got no fault.

Matt

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Originally posted by matto'85ta@Mar 6 2004, 07:56 PM
If you get a 3rd gen, be aware that if you have full coverage and you get into a accident the insurance company will total it with out a question. Thats why I just got no fault.
Not true. I had an accident back in 00 with my IROC with about $2K in damages and they fixed it. I could see them totalling a piece of junk though...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i agree it could become a pain to hook up a trailer and worry about it, but... with the amount of equipment we will be transporting i am still unsure about the blazer or van holding enough

1 - 20 of 20 Posts