GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
THE OLDSMOBILE AURORA. A much liked large sedan that lived a life from the mid 1990s to its demise in 2003 when Oldsmobile kicked the bucket. With luxury that compared to the Lincoln LS, it was a true luxury sedan. Edmunds.com even called it the "best car to be discontinued". At least, the V8 version anyway.

Enter the Toyota Avalon of 2005. One of the highest rated sedans on the market, the front-wheel drive Avalon dominated the competition with features and configurations that could let anyone have a taste of luxury. Since the Buick Park Avenue was at the end of is rope at the time, GM needed something to compete with the Avalon. Or shall we say two somethings: The Buick Lucerne and the redesigned Chevrolet Impala, both introduced in 2006. Needless to say, the Avalon had nothing to worry about.

With Saturn in the middle of a lineup revamp in 2008, it had most segments of automobiles completely covered: the compact ASTRA hatchback, the midsize AURA sedan, the compact VUE crossover, the large OUTLOOK crossover, and the SKY roadster. But, there was something missing. What if Saturn gained a large FWD sedan? It would give Buick and Chevrolet the opportunity to go RWD with their next large sedans!

Enter the Saturn VISTA. Following in the footsteps of its forefather, the Oldsmobile Aurora, the Saturn VISTA delivers an opportunity for anyone to pack a luxury car any way they want it: Whether it be the bang-for-your-buck "Natural" trim level, the economical two-mode hybrid "Greenline" level, or the luxurious "Luxury" trim level, the VISTA delivers. However, Saturn isn't satified there, as the VISTA is offered in front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive configurations.

Body Style: Large Sedan
Trims (3): Natural, Greenline, Luxury
Engines (2): 2.8L I-4 2M hybrid (GL), 3.6L V6 (Natural, Luxury)
HP Output: 225 (I-4), 285 (V6)
Transmission: 6-speed automatic, 2M Hybrid CVT (Greenline only)
Drivetrains (2): FWD, AWD (Natural, Luxury)

The side profile is inspired by the upcoming Opel Insignia. The wheels are almost direct copies of the previous-gen Oldsmobile Aurora's wheels.

Comments? They're appreciated.
No, really, they are.
No, no, I insist, go ahead and comment. :D

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: All-new, Epsilon II-based Saturn AURORA

And Epsilons have the gas cap on the passenger side, don't they?
Personally, I'm not concerned about that, I put it on the driver side to make pull-off fillups easier for both sides of the road.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts

Very well done, but make sure it features some identifiable Olds styling cues. Large chunky, square taillights at the rear, and maybe make the headlights shallower and wider. The front clip looks good, but a bit too much like the new Malibu's.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

Slack said:
Looks nice. 2.8 liters is pretty big for a four banger though.
I thought about making it smaller, but a smaller I-4 wouldn't be able to push a large sedan, even with a 2M hybrid system. Toyota's Venza uses a 2.7.

mbukukanyau said:
Hyundai Azera, to me at least
Hm. I know I didn't stick a spoiler on it, but I'm not sure how it could be related to that. Can you be more specific?

t-rex said:
Very well done, but make sure it features some identifiable Olds styling cues. Large chunky, square taillights at the rear, and maybe make the headlights shallower and wider. The front clip looks good, but a bit too much like the new Malibu's.
I didn't intend this to be "Olds Aurora, Mark III". Instead, I intended this car to carry out the mission that the Aurora of yesterday had on its shoulders: a well-built, affordable luxury sedan. Remember, those are Saturn badges on the wheels. ;)

Front/Rear views coming shortly.

·
Registered
201 Posts

I like the idea of bringing back the Aurora, at least in spirit. But I can see problems with the name, both with it being used before for an Oldsmobile, and for its closeness in spelling and sound to Aura. I know that sounds nitpicky, but the general public is so easily confused, it's sad! I have no idea why they had so much problem with the Lincoln MK thing, where originally MKZ was supposed to be pronounced as "mark Z", MKX "mark X" and so on. Likewise with the Ford 500 to Taurus switch. So many dealerships complained about the switch, like it was frying customers' brains just to think the 500 is now called Taurus. Or that the Taurus came back as a renamed 500.

Also, one thing that made the original Aurora stand out, and the subsequent second gen flop, was styling. The original bore unique, almost coupe-like proportions, and made no compromises in its look. Some say part of the reason the second Aurora's sales plummeted was the tired, common look. Of course, I love both Olds Auroras, but clearly the second one didn't do too well.

I'd say keep the name and to hell with the dumb confused people, but I would want bolder styling.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Zulehan said:
I like the idea of bringing back the Aurora, at least in spirit. But I can see problems with the name, both with it being used before for an Oldsmobile, and for its closeness in spelling and sound to Aura. I know that sounds nitpicky, but the general public is so easily confused, it's sad!
I had seriously thought of that issue myself (as this is part of my dream lineup), so I renamed the AURA as well. But that's a whole different story.

I'd say keep the name and to hell with the dumb confused people, but I would want bolder styling.
Hmmm, Is this bold enough for you?

No idea how it happened, but the front drawing ended up a little crooked. However, you get the idea of the styling.

·
Super Moderator
21,213 Posts
Re: All-new, Epsilon II-based Saturn AURORA (front/rear views added)

Rear view looks good, but there's something about that grille that doesn't seem right. Maybe you could try the Aura's grille?

·
Registered
201 Posts

Hmmm, Is this bold enough for you?
No actually. And don't worry, I'm judging by the design itself, not by the style or quality of your drawing, and not by the fact that your front view is crooked. :p:

I like making the grille larger vertically, since it is a luxury car. And the minor differences are duly appreciated. But overall, it's a little too much like the Aura. And yeah it's hard sometimes to differentiate a car while staying in line with the overall design language of the brand, but the status of the car, paired with the fact that you'd probably want to consider it a next-gen design, means you'll wanna depart a little further from the Saturn line.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

And yeah it's hard sometimes to differentiate a car while staying in line with the overall design language of the brand, but the status of the car, paired with the fact that you'd probably want to consider it a next-gen design, means you'll wanna depart a little further from the Saturn line.
Yeah, I consider this car to be a MY2010 car. I'll probably do a "refresh" when pictures of the Opel Insignia are released.

INTERIOR view coming shortly...

·
Registered
5,986 Posts

how about making the 'silver' bar *FullWidth* (the one with the Saturn logo - not sure if there're multi-bars)
then
using LED's for the HL's & hiding them behind mylar to blend into the 'silver' bar?
(did that make sense?)
or
just make the LED's part of the extended bar, they'd prolley blend-in enuf

ps you have a very familar drawing style, A.J. ;)

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

how about making the 'silver' bar *FullWidth* (the one with the Saturn logo - not sure if there're multi-bars)
then
using LED's for the HL's & hiding them behind mylar to blend into the 'silver' bar?
(did that make sense?)
or
just make the LED's part of the extended bar, they'd prolley blend-in enuf

ps you have a very familar drawing style, A.J. ;)
I should have made the grille a little longer (left-right). The top bar with the Saturn logo is chromed, and the other three are gray. I based this grille off of the OUTLOOK's grille.

Apologies for lack of interior view, I've been swamped with schoolwork (which also forced me to drop out of the Nomad competition :()

Oh, and to those who are responsible, I love the new site design.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: All-new, Epsilon II-based Saturn AURORA (front/rear views added)

The car has been remade!

After careful thought and viewing of the Opel Insignia spyshots, I have completely redone the Saturn AURORA. Designed to be similar to the upcoming Insignia/AURA, the car still has retained its old character to be poised to take the spot as America's best family/large sedan. Trims, engines, and transmissions remain the same, but nothing else does save for the LED mirror turn signals.

Featuring sleek, european-style styling, the AURORA has everything it needs to take the top spot. From the new, euro-inspired headlamps and grille all the way to the new taillamps with a new setup, the AURORA represents the future of the Saturn brand and promises to have the car itself deliver luxury and performance to match its new styling.

May I present:

Comments? :D

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: All-new, Epsilon II-based Saturn AURORA (COMPLETELY REDESIGNED!)

too much overhang on both ends i think
Yeah, I had tried to keep the wheelbase short when drawing it. I had thought the same thing about the overhangs myself, but then I look at side profiles of the Avalon/Taurus, and think that I did alright.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Re: All-new, Epsilon II-based Saturn AURORA (COMPLETELY REDESIGNED!)

Looks good, personally i like it a lot more than the Aura, but i think the rear bumper is a little too low.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.