GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was reading through the SAAB threads last week, and was somehow inspired to draw a next-gen 9-5. When chaseabryant came to me with his idea of reviving a falling brand of GM (the idea was also brought to the table by a GMI member), my new drawing fit in perfectly. The 9-5 is a big one for SAAB - if GM messes it up again, SAAB is going nowhere but downhill.

Here's the lowdown on my 9-5:

The styling is pretty much all AeroX-inspired, with various cues that give it the 9-5 family resemblence. The headlights are standard SAAB fare, while the taillights are something special. The brake light is the narrow "ring" around the taillight, and the signal light and reverse light are inside the "ring".

Three trim levels representing three engines - 2.0T with a 2.0L turbocharged, direct-injected I-4 pulling out 260hp; Aero with a 2.4L turbocharged, direct-injected I-4 pulling out 305hp; and TurboX with a 3.0L turbocharged, direct-injected V6 pulling out 340hp. The XWD system that debuted on the new 9-3 is standard across the board, and the 9-5 is available in three body styles - sedan, hatchback (Sporthatch), and wagon (Sportcombi).

So, may I present...

Comments? :D

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: All-new, EPII-based Saab 9-5

Thanks! The original on-paper sketch is a whole lot better - just because I had to do all sorts of image sharpening to get all the details visible.

I'm planning to make a "Technicolor" :fall: version of this drawing also!

·
Registered
628 Posts

Looks great, much better than what they are selling now. A few proportions might be a little off, e.g. those door handles are pretty big, but over all I really like this.
The back end around the lights and the boot lip reminds me of the new Ford Falcon, which is good in my books.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts

Grrr... *shakes fist* you are quick! I was sketching out ideas for a 9-5 last night! The discussion in the opel/vauxhall/saab subforum got my brain ticking again!

any way, back on subject:

Very, very nice. You do a fantastic job at capturing the subtleties of both the platform and the brand. This design speaks both SAAB and EPII really well. Your idea for the tail lights sounds absolutely awesome, quite a treat to see at night I could imagine!

There is only one thing that I would like to comment on; the back door seems a little long. The model appears to be a limousine, like a BMW 745iL or an Audi A8L. I might suggest moving the gap between the front and rear doors back ever so slightly.

other than that, perfect! :tup::

-Chase

·
Registered
5,411 Posts

Grrr... *shakes fist* you are quick! I was sketching out ideas for a 9-5 last night! The discussion in the opel/vauxhall/saab subforum got my brain ticking again!

any way, back on subject:

Very, very nice. You do a fantastic job at capturing the subtleties of both the platform and the brand. This design speaks both SAAB and EPII really well. Your idea for the tail lights sounds absolutely awesome, quite a treat to see at night I could imagine!

There is only one thing that I would like to comment on; the back door seems a little long. The model appears to be a limousine, like a BMW 745iL or an Audi A8L. I might suggest moving the gap between the front and rear doors back ever so slightly.

other than that, perfect! :yup::

-Chase

You're brain "ticks"??:eek:

You're "brain" may not be a brain then...Perhaps its a bomb???
Unless you have some screws rolling loose! :D:p:

Yes, I am just kidding.:)

As to the design, Its nice.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

other than that, perfect! :tup::

-Chase
Thank you! Believe it or not, my 9-5 is actually shorter than my Lucerne! The doors only seem long because of the low roofline and high beltline.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Sharp! Real sharp.:cool: What platform would it be put on?
Like the title says - EPII (Epsilon II). Just because the the XWD system works well on an Epsilon 9-3, so the system could be carried over to the Epsilon II platform - to save costs.

Sporthatch and Sportcombi versions to be added soon.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Figuring out how to turn this into a Sportcombi is rather difficult...it's a good thing I have a month do do it.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts

I can't wait to see a sportcombi version! I think that I like the Sportcombi versions the best out of all of the SAABs

-Chase

·
Registered
586 Posts

Very nice! Is the front a-pillar supposed to be blacked out? It looks like it's supposed to be separate in body color, and I like that.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Very nice! Is the front a-pillar supposed to be blacked out? It looks like it's supposed to be separate in body color, and I like that.
It's blacked out, a-la 9-4X, to look like the AeroX concept's UFO door opening.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts

It's blacked out, a-la 9-4X, to look like the AeroX concept's UFO door opening.
Sweet! I did not notice that you had a line there at first. Do you have plans to color your drawing?

-Chase

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Here somes the "other" body style - the Sportcombi! It took me three tries to get it right:

First I tried a lowered 9-4X look. NO!
Second I tried a 9-3 Sportcombi look. NO! AGAIN!
Third, a blend of the two plus some current-gen 9-5 looks.

Notable changes:
-The wagon body style (duh)
-Taillights flipped upside-down
-Front headlights and fascia a little larger
-C-pillar/rear door windowline more raked

So, here it is...

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Looks great! You didn't happen to do a version without the roof rack did you? It looks pretty darn slick without it! I could imagine a more sporty version of it without them, kind of like the poeple that have an Audi RS6 but don't use the vehicle for the utility aspect!

-Chase

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
chaseabryant said:
Looks great! You didn't happen to do a version without the roof rack did you? It looks pretty darn slick without it! I could imagine a more sporty version of it without them, kind of like the poeple that have an Audi RS6 but don't use the vehicle for the utility aspect!

-Chase
Aero has a roof rack delete option, and TurboX has no roof rack at all.

Here...

;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts