GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
New to this board and long time Firebird fan, all gens. I have to be biased toward the third gen because I own one I guess. But calling all thirdgens wuss I think is not fair considering that all cars are influenced by the technology, economics and politics of the time. To add to what bigals87z28 was saying about the thirdgens here is some info you might consider:

1992 Trans Am GTA with 5.0L V8 and 3.42 : 1 rear axle

0 - 60 mph: 7.3 seconds
Lateral Acceleration: 0.90 g

1989 20th Anniversary Trans Am Indy Pace Car with 3.8L V6 Turbo and 3.27 : 1 rear axle

0-60 mph: 4.6 seconds, Standing 1/4 mile time: 13.4 seconds, Trap Speed: 101 mph, Lateral Acceleration: 0.88 g

1989 Firefox GTA 5.7L, 328 BHP @ 4500 RPM, 400 FT/LB TQ, 4.10 : 1 rear axle, ZF six-speed-manual transmission, Brembo racing-derived brake system

0 - 60 mph: 5.2 seconds
1/4 Mile, Elapsed Time: 13.38 seconds @ 103.5 mph
Lateral Acceleration: 1.0 + g
Braking: 60 - 0: 131 feet (no ABS system)

By looking at this I would say that we are not too far off except that the LS1 is in fact a much powerfull engine because of the newer technology. But I can say that there are lots of thirdgens that can hold their own. No harm intended.

-Ozzy
Ozzy's GTA

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nope, "Firefox". Go here and scroll to the bottom:
http://www.gtasourcepage.com/perfdata.html

One last thing, the consensus I get from several GTA owners that also own 4th gen TAs is that their GTAs handle much better in "real world" driving than their other cars (link). The WS6 suspension in the GTA is much stiffer in every way and they are not configured for comfort but instead for handling.

-Ozzy

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.