GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pick your favorite generation firebird,if you want to be more specific on what year you like,please do so

·
Registered
815 Posts
Another cool link for any LS1

ls1tech

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
First gen all the way, but the last generation looked rather awesome as well. Actually both the first gen F-bodies looked wicked cool.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Usually GM (and especially Pontiac) starts with a nice, clean design, then mucks it up with the refresh. The second gen Firebirds seem to be the exception to this rule.

I particularly like the '79 - '81 model with the grill in the bumpers. From a styling point of view, I prefer the base model or Esprit without any spoilers - the clean lines of the car itself are timeless and elegant.

No, they weren't the quickest Firebirds, but from a pure style point of view, Pontiac got it right with the second-gen Pontiacs -- and the refreshenings only added to the goodness of the design.

The Firebird was also one of the few 1970's cars that were able to integrate newer bumper and crash standards into the overall design of the car.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
Though I like all generations of Firebirds, from the orginal 1967 to the grand finale of 2002, I have always had a preference to the 1970 to 1981 2nd generation Firebirds, there were a variety of different versions available...

Here are a few of my personal favorites

1971-1972 Trans Am with the 455cid V8 and a 4speed manua/lucerne blue/white stripe/white interior /with those beautiful honeycomb wheels that Pontiac offered.

1973-1974 Trans Am 455-SD/4speed or Auto/buccaneer red or brewster green/honeycombs

1974 Firebrid Esprit/350 or 400/gold/just like Jim Rockfords

1977 Trans Am-Special Edition-Y82/4speed with the W72 400 V8/just like the Bandit!

Any 1978-1979 Trans Am with the WS6 package/t-tops/4 speed

1979 Trans Am 10th anniversary/silver on silver/W72 400/4 speed/WS6 package-At the time it was the most expensive Firebird ever, $10,000 plus, in 1979! It celebrated the 10th anniversary of the Trans Am's introduction in 1969. Pontiac only made 7500 of these beauties, and the majority of them were automatic equiped versions with the Oldsmobile 403cid V8, not a bad motor, but the hot combo was the 4speed manual model which came with Pontiacs last high performance 400cid V8, pushing out 220net hp, though it does not sound like much now, remember that this was 1979! When the best that the Mustang could do was a 135hp 302cid V8 or a 140hp 2.3litre turbo 4 cylinder, the last 400cid V8 Trans Ams and Formulas were some of the fastest cars on the road at the time, while looking through a Road&Track road test digest from 1979 the only other cars that I could find that were faster were the Porsche 911 Turbo and the Ferrrari 512BB, the 1979 Corvette was just a tick slower than the Trans Am, running 0-60 in 6.6 seconds compared to W72 equiped Trans Am's 6.5 second 0-60 time. All 10th anniversary Trans Ams were actually there own separate model, as it noted on their vin numbers, all of them came equiped one way-loaded! They all came with T-tops, leather, power windows and locks, rear-defrost, digital AM-FM stereo with 8-track, power trunk, and polished "turbo" wheels, which were not available on other Trans Ams until 1980. The 10th anniversary Trans Am was also the debut of Pontiacs now signature red instrument panel lighting.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WELL I AM GLAD TO SEE THAT SO MANY PEOPLE LIKE ALL KINDS OF BIRDS....
I KNOW THAT THIS IS NOT AN EASY VOTE FOR DEDICATED FIREBIRD ENTHUSIAST,BUT AT LEAST WE CAN SEE THE REASONS WHY PEOPLE DO LIKE THE ONES THAT THEY DO THE MOST.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Originally posted by pupp1@May 27 2004, 03:46 AM
WELL I AM GLAD TO SEE THAT SO MANY PEOPLE LIKE ALL KINDS OF BIRDS....
I KNOW THAT THIS IS NOT AN EASY VOTE FOR DEDICATED FIREBIRD ENTHUSIAST,BUT AT LEAST WE CAN SEE THE REASONS WHY PEOPLE DO LIKE THE ONES THAT THEY DO THE MOST.
I like all the firebirds for many different reasons. One reason is because it does NOT say camaro. GM needs to bring back the firebirds or else i might do something drastic like never buy a new car again. :frankie: :brick:

·
Registered
815 Posts
IMO

The 4th generation ruled. The LS1 put the F-Body where it belonged, at the top of the pony cars. It held reign over the Mustang for all the LS1 years. It also had the best performance suspension ever and the power in the car is immense with plenty of room for growth. (EX: 0 to 60 in 5.0 seconds, 1/4 in 13.1 sec @ 106, the slalom at 66 mph, and pushing .84 to .88 g, with stopping 60 to 0 of 121) Any wonder I love this car!

The 4th generation was next to the vette, closer than it probably ever was. And because of this GM may have tried to diminish it in the eyes of it's customers to protect their Icon "Corvette".

If I had to choose a 2nd it would be the 1st generation for styling and the fact that their performance and power was probably better than the 2nd and 3rd generation gas saving (wuss era) cars.

That is IMO. B)

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Wuss era eh? Thats why the 2 of the 3 fastest fbirds ever were third gens....but Ill let it slide since you knew that.
Third gens have better handling then a 4th gen, and offerd near Vette performance for its time... actualy, in 85 and 86 the IROC outhandled the Vette on the skid pad so Im sure a WS6 bird could do the same.
IMO, nothing got better then the first gen. Then Id say late third gen with the TTA, and Firehawks. Then I would go with the 4th gen TA's. then early 2nd, early third, and late 2nd. I think that the late 2nd gen birds are becoming more and more popular.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@May 28 2004, 03:08 AM
Third gens have better handling then a 4th gen, and offerd near Vette performance for its time... actualy, in 85 and 86 the IROC outhandled the Vette on the skid pad so Im sure a WS6 bird could do the same.   
3rd gen better handling????

I have seen the 4th gen 98 to 02 do .84 to .88 g and their breakingis 60 to 0 in like 121 ft. When did the 3rd gen handle that well?

Just curious why you feel the 3rd gen handles better...

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by actionjack+May 29 2004, 01:48 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (actionjack @ May 29 2004, 01:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigals87z28@May 28 2004, 03:08 AM
3rd gen better handling????

I have seen the 4th gen 98 to 02 do .84 to .88 g and their breakingis 60 to 0 in like 121 ft. When did the 3rd gen handle that well?

Just curious why you feel the 3rd gen handles better... [/b][/quote]
Try .92 in the IROC... Lighter and lower to the ground then the 4th gen. Thats how I "feel" that third gens handle better. Just because you think of them as junk or "wuss" cars doesnt mean that they arent good cars.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Braking distances and lateral acceleration are heavily influenced by tire choice, so comparing third and fourth generation cars based on original road tests isn't very meaningful. It's just as much a measure of how much tire technology has improved as anything else.

I do remember it being a big deal that the '82 Z28 managed .81 g on the skidpad. At the time it had Goodyear Eagle GTs - state of the art in their day, but nothing but a budget tire today. And keep in mind they were (if memory serves) something like 215/60/15s - not a lot of tire by today's standards. I'm sure if you tested a third and fourth gen on the same tires their numbers in terms of braking and cornering grip would likely be pretty close.

·
Registered
768 Posts
The second generation had the best overal design! When it first came out it looked like a European sports car!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
New to this board and long time Firebird fan, all gens. I have to be biased toward the third gen because I own one I guess. But calling all thirdgens wuss I think is not fair considering that all cars are influenced by the technology, economics and politics of the time. To add to what bigals87z28 was saying about the thirdgens here is some info you might consider:

1992 Trans Am GTA with 5.0L V8 and 3.42 : 1 rear axle

0 - 60 mph: 7.3 seconds
Lateral Acceleration: 0.90 g

1989 20th Anniversary Trans Am Indy Pace Car with 3.8L V6 Turbo and 3.27 : 1 rear axle

0-60 mph: 4.6 seconds, Standing 1/4 mile time: 13.4 seconds, Trap Speed: 101 mph, Lateral Acceleration: 0.88 g

1989 Firefox GTA 5.7L, 328 BHP @ 4500 RPM, 400 FT/LB TQ, 4.10 : 1 rear axle, ZF six-speed-manual transmission, Brembo racing-derived brake system

0 - 60 mph: 5.2 seconds
1/4 Mile, Elapsed Time: 13.38 seconds @ 103.5 mph
Lateral Acceleration: 1.0 + g
Braking: 60 - 0: 131 feet (no ABS system)

By looking at this I would say that we are not too far off except that the LS1 is in fact a much powerfull engine because of the newer technology. But I can say that there are lots of thirdgens that can hold their own. No harm intended.

-Ozzy
Ozzy's GTA

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nope, "Firefox". Go here and scroll to the bottom:
http://www.gtasourcepage.com/perfdata.html

One last thing, the consensus I get from several GTA owners that also own 4th gen TAs is that their GTAs handle much better in "real world" driving than their other cars (link). The WS6 suspension in the GTA is much stiffer in every way and they are not configured for comfort but instead for handling.

-Ozzy

1 - 20 of 24 Posts