GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alfa Romeo and Lancia brands to enjoy stronger investments under Stellantis: Elkann
By Reuters Staff
MARCH 11, 2021

Reuters

MILAN (Reuters) - Former Fiat Chrysler premium car brands Alfa Romeo and Lancia will enjoy stronger investments under Stellantis, the new automaker formed from the merger with France’s PSA, Stellantis Chairman John Elkann said in a TV interview.

With 14 brands under one roof, Stellantis is the world’s fourth largest carmaker. It was officially born in January, as Fiat Chrysler (FCA) and Peugeot maker completed their long awaited merger.

Asked about what role FCA’s hometown of Turin would play in Stellantis, Elkann told Italian State TV Rai that, as part of a bigger group, it would have greater opportunities.

“We’ve seen it clearly with some brands like Alfa Romeo and Lancia, on which we could not invest or give resources as much as we wanted in recent years,” said Elkann, who led FCA into the PSA merger as chairman of the Italian American automaker.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

·
Super Moderator
10,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Lancisti rejoice!

I'm glad to see they'll get investment, but what I hope doesn't happen is that Stellantis ends up basically taking DS vehicles and rebadging them as Lancias (or Alfa Romeos, for that matter). Lancia is very popular in Italy, but not in very many markets outside of Southern Europe. However, it is remembered very fondly in many area of the world (and has been very underutilized since at least the late 1990s).

DS is a new brand with limited reach outside of France, some European markets, and China; while Alfa Romeo has world wide recognition but very little market penetration.

There could be a way forward for all three to be successful, but there can't be any badge engineering involved.

Let's hope they don't screw this up.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
I expect Lancia to be a regional re-badge of something else. To be honest, it seems redundant to keep it around.

The Alfa investment makes more sense, as its slots under Maserati, and is "affordable luxury". That market continues to grow.

Reactions: Andrew L

·
Super Moderator
10,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I expect Lancia to be a regional re-badge of something else. To be honest, it seems redundant to keep it around.
As much as I would wish for it to be otherwise, that's probably all it will be. And for now, that's better than the attention it has received up to this point, as a redheaded step child they've become.

But if there's one thing the collector's market has demonstrated, it's that Lancia has a lingering desirability. Auctions that offer up models like the Delta, Stratos, Aurelia, and 037 continue to command surprising prices. There is (arguably) a potential there that is not being tapped -- and one day could be realized if enough resources were allocated.

Or, at the very least, one can dream.

The Alfa investment makes more sense, as its slots under Maserati, and is "affordable luxury". That market continues to grow.
Maserati is going to get lots of investment, if only because it is/was the highest margin-producing entity within the Fiat/Exor empire after the splintering off of Ferrari and the formation of FCA.

If DS, Lancia, and Alfa are to be partnered moving forward, they'd have to tread carefully with any collaboration with Maser. DS offerings have been mostly FWD-based, and while the margins are probably better than they are on ordinary Peugeots and Citroens, they dynamically wouldn't match Maser's ambitions. Alfa would be more closely aligned to Maserati in that regard, but how the "partnership" with Lancia and DS works out might taint any collaboration. Ultimately, that either means that brands like Lancia and DS would have to use (in some way) Alfa's RWD Giorgio architecture for future products; or Alfa will utilize a FWD-based architecture to suit DS and Lancia.

Personally, I hope it's the former, especially as it would help to spread the engineering investment out further than it already has (its rumored to underpin the Maserati Grecale, so this could only help them to more quickly recover their investment).

Reactions: CJH

·
Registered
13,157 Posts
I owned a lancia scorpion turbo for over a decade...back in the 1980s ..i must have put on 200k miles...sold it for half of original price new at the end of my journey..

Really pretty car but stock it was slow...no way that brands coming back...we will be lucky if alfa and maserati survive.

They need prodict and they need it fast. I love my 33 month old stelvio ti sport but the lease is up and the tonalle is behind schedule...im forced with no new alfas to lease an acura rdx or rx350...

Alfa didnt have to loose me but there is nothing new there...

Forget lancia....increase alfa product lineup ...maserati? Bad stories and pricey...

Didge no..ljeep no..lchrysler no.l.alfa has the brand name my better half likes for her new car but she wants something at least a little diiferent?

I dont know what alfa fca is thinking other than the merger...that must be the reason..

I dont like the forced packaging now in effect at alfa...i understand it....i just dont like it enough to spend the money on options I dont want or need.

The kicker is you cant get black window trim unless you get a sunroof or all black wheels?

Neither of which my bride wants. I found I literally couldnt get the new stelvio optioned anywhere near what I wanted...

Dont ask me....she wanted silver 20s and black window trim. Period end of story...she didnt want black rims and she refused the sunroof cars...l(shes a vamprie...lol)

Going japanesea for one lease spin then gm electric cuvs or maybe that ioniq 5 which looked pretty sharp.

Reactions: richmond2000

·
Registered
704 Posts
The boys at Allpar think Stellantis will return a full line of cars and crossovers for Dodge and Chrysler, but I think they will be sadly disappointed.

·
Premium Member
33,685 Posts
The boys at Allpar think Stellantis will return a full line of cars and crossovers for Dodge and Chrysler, but I think they will be sadly disappointed.
They will invest in European brands that are failing. The Opels are dead anyways as you can see in Europe and Peugeot just cannot build a proper Insignia like GM can.

·
Registered
454 Posts
not a single concrete word about Chrysler - exactly the kind of arrogance I expected from PSA. Too bad they insist on keeping Lancia alive, even most Italians I talked to don't give a damn about it. Hopefuly Chrysler will stay alive in U.S. - badge engineering done in a right-way would be welcome since Chrysler needs new products.

·
Premium Member
33,685 Posts
not a single concrete word about Chrysler - exactly the kind of arrogance I expected from PSA. Too bad they insist on keeping Lancia alive, even most Italians I talked to don't give a damn about it. Hopefuly Chrysler will stay alive in U.S. - badge engineering done in a right-way would be welcome since Chrysler needs new products.
Blame the Obama Biden administration for giving Chrysler away. I have a feeling the US government will be forced to fund Chrysler again at some point when the Europeans run and leave Americans holding a bag of debt.

The Entire Stellantis is an amalgamation of failing brands safe for Jeep, RAM and Dodge.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Blame the Obama Biden administration for giving Chrysler away. I have a feeling the US government will be forced to fund Chrysler again at some point when the Europeans run and leave Americans holding a bag of debt.

The Entire Stellantis is an amalgamation of failing brands safe for Jeep, RAM and Dodge.
I do blame them but it's history. Sergio's Lancia-Chrysler actions were pathetic too. As a half-Pole I am concerned about our Fiat factory. FCA declared it would keep it (not a big surpise since it always had better reputation than Italian ones), but now after another turn-around it's future might be at stake because French&Italian jobs is what counts here. Having the worst government (far-right nationalistic fools) since the collapse of communism doesn't help either.

Reactions: mbukukanyau

·
Premium Member
33,685 Posts
I do blame them but it's history. Sergio's Lancia-Chrysler actions were pathetic too. As a half-Pole I am concerned about our Fiat factory. FCA declared it would keep it (not a big surpise since it always had better reputation than Italian ones), but now after another turn-around it's future might be at stake because French&Italian jobs is what counts here. Having the worst government (far-right nationalistic fools) since the collapse of communism doesn't help either.
The problem the free world must deal with and deal with firmly is the predatory manufacturing trade policies of the east.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Why were you expecting Elkann to start talking about Chrysler to an Italian TV outlet? He clearly was trying to reassure people who live in that country.

People in this thread are cruising right over the context of this interview.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I am surprised to hear about Lancia I figured that brand was going to get axed under Stellantis since they have what 1 model now left in the lineup that's just a rebadged Fiat?

·
Registered
10,993 Posts
I am surprised to hear about Lancia I figured that brand was going to get axed under Stellantis since they have what 1 model now left in the lineup that's just a rebadged Fiat?
Stellantis has a whole array of Dead Brands Walking.
We'll see how many of 'em even exist in 2030. I guess some might survive as regional badge jobs.

Reactions: ehaase
1 - 18 of 18 Posts