GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Alfa Romeo‘s return to the North American marketplace is about to get a lot more interesting with two new products aimed squarely at BMW and Porsche.

After a 20 year hiatus new Alfa Romeos went on sale late last year in the US and Canada, but so far only one model is available, the 4C, a limited production niche sports car. Alfa is now adding a topless roadster version of the car but even then total 4C production will be limited to just 3,500 units globally with North America getting roughly a third of those revealed brand boss Reid Bigland in an interview with AutoGuide.

But new products are coming, and soon, he said.

SEE ALSO: Alfa Romeo 4C First Drive

“The next Alfa Romeo on the horizon is a mid-size sedan, dimensionally similar to the BMW 3 Series,” Bigland said. And he’s setting lofty expectations for the car. “Just as 4C is superior to BMW, Audi and Porsche from a performance and technological standpoint, the mid-size sedan will be as well.”

Perhaps most shocking is that despite not having even shown a concept of it yet, the car will be on sale by year’s end. “Look for it to arrive in late Q4 of this year,” said Bigland before pausing and adding “late Q4.”

Bigland wouldn’t comment further on the car but did say that it will put the focus on light weight, though it won’t use a carbon fiber chassis like the 4C. “It’s about striking that balance between performance and the creature comforts people like,” he said.

The production model will be revealed at private function in Milan celebrating the Alfa brand’s 105th anniversary.

After the debut of the sedan, Bigland revealed that Alfa will add a mid-size SUV that’s “dimensionally size of Porsche Macan.” And with that model Alfa also plans to take the performance fight to the segment leaders. “From a performance standpoint our benchmarks are superior performance to the Porsche,” said Bigland.

That model will debut in late 2016 with more to follow.

“The plan is for eight all-new Alfa Romeo products by 2018,” he said, “We’re still on track.”

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/02/alfa-romeo-s-3-series-rival-to-go-on-sale-this-year.html

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Still waiting for the mules before deciding if this is fact or fiction
We both know that Alfa doesn't test the cars, just puts them into production and let the drivers experience all the problems lol.

I love Alfas!

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
Alfa could become a more emotional version of what BMW used to be, but I await their products.

The 159 looked awesome, but aside from the styling it lacked the necessary elements to compete with the German trio.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Big step for Alfa, its relaunch in the U.S. Overall, prospective Alfa buyers in Europe seem more forgiving when it comes to reliability, however not so when it comes to a car's handling. In the U.S. it may be vice versa. Btw, I had four Alfa's so far. All very reliable cars. But you have to do your servicing on time.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Alfa and Maserati are the two brands I would love to see come back strong. There's just something about the lines of Italian cars......

They have the heritage to immediately pull in luxury buyers - if they can pull off the product/quality/service. Sharing some internal parts with their corporate cousins should make them more profitable than in the past.

Reactions: richmond2000

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
It is more than a long shot..... but with the current state of things ....... they stand as good a chance or better - of finally pulling the proverbial rabbit out of the hat.

Can't possibly get the volume the same way for a good while longer ( obviously - especially in a global sense ) but they could be the first to actually come up with a product that finally provides a more equal / more compelling to some - and some that really matter .....3/4 Series 'answer' /alternative.

One that can actually * cough * successfully mine the disaffected previous 3 owner segments - such as they are....... while perhaps also doing just enough against the current programs.

·
Registered
19,316 Posts
I'm very curious to see this Alfa 3 Series! While I'm a fan of any sports oriented car, there are some I like more than others. My concern with the Italians & Alfa, who are known for their envelope pushing style, are and have pushed into comical styling. The rest of the world has caught up (ok, maybe not the Japanese) and have exciting style, thus pushing the Italians way over the edge. Several Ferrari's (if I had the money) I wouldn't even consider because they are ridiculous looking to me. I loved the outrageous looks of the Testarossa and Lambo in the 80's and 90's, but they've been loosing me (actually under Audi Lambo is more toned down of the two now). My point being I find the pictured 4C's bug eyed and unappealing (I know - style is a personal thing) and wonder if they will be inspiration for the 3 Series competitor. I'd say the sedan market generally is a little less "in your face" and wonder if Alfa go overboard in the looks department???? Or maybe there is a niche for an over the top styled 3 Series....

I know, I'm rambling.

·
Registered
53 Posts
“The plan is for eight all-new Alfa Romeo products by 2018,” he said, “We’re still on track.”
Product plan* from the May 2014 Alfa Romeo brand presentation:
Current
4C
4C Spider

Q4 2015
1 Mid-size

2016-2018
2 Compact
1 Mid-size
1 Full-size
2 UVs
1 Specialty

* includes high-performance (Quadrifoglio) versions

R&D & product mfg investment ~€5B
2018 volume objective= 400,000

·
Back!
5,366 Posts
Because we all know that, what the market really needs, is another 3 Series competitor. I love the idea of Alfa building a 3 Series competitor on it's face. That said, you can only divide a pie so many ways fellas.

Audi A4
BMW 3-Series
Cadillac ATS
Infiniti Q50
Jaguar XXE
Lexus IS
Mercedes C-Class

And that list just encompasses direct competitors, leaving out fringe offerings from entry level luxury brands like Acura, Buick, and Volvo.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Because we all know that, what the market really needs, is another 3 Series competitor. I love the idea of Alfa building a 3 Series competitor on it's face. That said, you can only divide a pie so many ways fellas.

Audi A4
BMW 3-Series
Cadillac ATS
Infiniti Q50
Jaguar XXE
Lexus IS
Mercedes C-Class

And that list just encompasses direct competitors, leaving out fringe offerings from entry level luxury brands like Acura, Buick, and Volvo.
I see it getting more cut throat and both the LEXUS and INFINITI taking a bow out or at least constant struggle
I wonder how long until Audi falls from grace again and if the ATS will get traction

personally I predict in 2020 or so 3 "CLASSES" based on volume

BMW
Mercedes
JAG OR ALFA

the OTHER JAG/ALFA
ATS
Audi A4
Lincoln ?

Q50
IS
Volvo

I think there is ROOM at the "top" for ONE based on LOOKS / charisma

·
Registered
1,284 Posts

Audi A4
BMW 3-Series
Cadillac ATS
Infiniti Q50
Jaguar XXE
Lexus IS
Mercedes C-Class

My thoughts exactly.

That said, I only expect the entry luxury segment to keep growing. Luxury automakers will HAVE to go downmarket, though.

My age bracket (Millennials) want the badge. See the rise in Coach and Michael Kors. The real losers will be the brands that don't have the brand equity to go downmarket with their dignity intact.

As a sidenote: I do wish GM would essentially make a 4 door AWD-optional Camaro (designed more tastefully like the Chevy SS). I think there's a HUGE hole in the marketplace for an AFFORDABLE small sport sedan.

Right now you can either pay out the nose for a luxury sport sedan or buy pre-owned. While some are badge people, some aren't. And right now there is no option for the non-badge crowd unless you want 2 doors and RWD only aside from the WRX (which is too boy racer).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts