GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
21,147 Posts
My thought is the weight of the car deforming the tire as it rolls will quickly crush and expel snow/ice/dirt. However, if a rock somehow gets caught in the tire I bet that'll cause a big problem.

I can also see a new form of mayhem from restless teens with them stuffing rocks and other stuff into the tires while your car sits outside unattended overnight.
Wouldn't it have to "squish" completely flat to do that? If they did that, how would you not ding the rim on every pothole or big bump in the road?

Covering the side would dramatically change the tires flex, but would solve that problem.

Knowing how "hot" a flat or tire that is down on air runs, all that "flex" generates a lot of heat.

I'll pass, thanks anyway.

Reactions: gm4life08

·
Registered
9,055 Posts
I have those exact same things on my zero turn mower. They call them Tweels since they are basically Tires combined with Wheels.

The problem using them on cars is styling. Essentially everyone would have the same wheels and tires.

It could be useful with the torque of electric vehicles. A Hellcat can already spin the tires on the rim at the drag strip. I’m sure electric cars with AWD will be able to do the same on the street eventually.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yeah, JD has them on a couple of their zero turns, and you can buy them in a couple of sizes (different from what JD uses of course), IIRC they were between 2-3 times as much as a regular turf tire.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Yeah, JD has them on a couple of their zero turns, and you can buy them in a couple of sizes (different from what JD uses of course), IIRC they were between 2-3 times as much as a regular turf tire.
Yeah, I was about to ask..How much will these handy dandy new style airless tires cost over regular air filled ones?.

·
Premium Member
36,199 Posts
Yeah, I was about to ask..How much will these handy dandy new style airless tires cost over regular air filled ones?.
Don't worry be happy! Think of all the money you'll save on air!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Makes sense to, but I wonder if a sidewall will add to much rigidity with allowing the tires to flex. I'm sure they could figure that out though.
Well, maybe since the sidewall wouldn't actually need to support weight like they currently do, perhaps it could be thinner/more flexible than existing sidewalls allowing them to flex more?

On another side note, though, with a side wall, the tire will also look flat with how much these seem to compress on the bottom under load

·
Premium Member
36,199 Posts
Well, maybe since the sidewall wouldn't actually need to support weight like they currently do, perhaps it could be thinner/more flexible than existing sidewalls allowing them to flex more?

On another side note, though, with a side wall, the tire will also look flat with how much these seem to compress on the bottom under load
The "vanes"--which I'd call "spokes" but what do I know--support the vehicle weight. SOMETHING has to hold that horse up. Otherwise you're getting into some pretty powerful magic.

·
Registered
18,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Wouldn't it have to "squish" completely flat to do that? If they did that, how would you not ding the rim on every pothole or big bump in the road?

Covering the side would dramatically change the tires flex, but would solve that problem.

Knowing how "hot" a flat or tire that is down on air runs, all that "flex" generates a lot of heat.

I'll pass, thanks anyway.
No - definitely not squishing flat - I think it has a picture of how far the tire deforms in use. My thinking is that as long as the mud or snow is soft it wont cause an issue, it's when the snow/mud starts to harden when it becomes problematic. However, my thinking is the partial deformation of the will be enough to break up any hardened or hardening mud/snow.

Maybe if it hardens while your car is parked the first couple of minutes of driving will be rough until it breaks up.

My concern is if all of those holes are completely filled up with dried mud or ice, then the tire can't deform at all and break anything up.

Or yes, put on a sidewall. But, as I said above, I don't know what that will do to the flexibility of the tire.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
They're not going to put sidewalls on, and I'll tell you why.

If it costs 3-4x a conventional tire, yet it deflects & flattens & bulges running over things, some consumers just aren't going to go for that because it'll appear defective or very low on PSI, and who wants to repeatedly deal with 'Hey, your tire's flat!'.

But have exposed 'spokes' and going around making a 'look at me' / futurist statement - that's going to sell far more sets.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Bottom line...not ready for prime time in their current form.
I sure hope not. They are ugly. The only way I would ever consider is if they gave them side walls on both inside and outside.

I might dislike these more than other stupid trends/fads in the industry.

·
Registered
21,147 Posts
No - definitely not squishing flat - I think it has a picture of how far the tire deforms in use. My thinking is that as long as the mud or snow is soft it wont cause an issue, it's when the snow/mud starts to harden when it becomes problematic. However, my thinking is the partial deformation of the will be enough to break up any hardened or hardening mud/snow.

Maybe if it hardens while your car is parked the first couple of minutes of driving will be rough until it breaks up.

My concern is if all of those holes are completely filled up with dried mud or ice, then the tire can't deform at all and break anything up.

Or yes, put on a sidewall. But, as I said above, I don't know what that will do to the flexibility of the tire.
It doesn't take much for a tire to be out of balance, I struggle to see how you avoid issues.

Reactions: BlackGTP

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
The "vanes"--which I'd call "spokes" but what do I know--support the vehicle weight. SOMETHING has to hold that horse up. Otherwise you're getting into some pretty powerful magic.
Right, I was referring to the sidewall like current tires that help hold the air in - that wouldn't need to be as strong because it'd just be a decorative element, while the "spokes" would be supporting the vehicle weight.

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
I have those exact same things on my zero turn mower. They call them Tweels since they are basically Tires combined with Wheels.

The problem using them on cars is styling. Essentially everyone would have the same wheels and tires.
And no tire/wheel manufacturer can make the center hub/spoke area look different?
It could be useful with the torque of electric vehicles. A Hellcat can already spin the tires on the rim at the drag strip. I’m sure electric cars with AWD will be able to do the same on the street eventually.
Drag racers solved that issue decades ago.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts