·
Registered
18,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Airless tires are finally coming in 2024: Here's why you'll want a set
Brian Cooley
October 8, 2021

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

We have phones that can survive being immersed, watches you can drag over a cheese grater and screens you can fold without breaking, but a common nail can strand your car on the side of the road. Tires need to lose their air, but not that way.

Michelin is one of several tiremakers that have been developing airless tires but they seemed as improbable as GM's early vision of self-driving cars. Now, however, the two companies are putting a pin in the calendar to have airless tires on the market by 2024.
The first thing you notice about the airless Michelin Uptis, or Unique Puncture-proof Tire System tires is that you can see through them. Glass fiber reinforced plastic vanes support the tread rather than air pressure.

More at link

·
Registered
18,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I feel like I've been reading about "tires of the future" my whole life! Finally going to arrive.

I like the concept, though I feel like these will ride a little stiffer & rougher like Michelin run flats (the kind with a honeycomb inside the tire - not the kind with a layer of "goop" to seal the tire from punctures).

I'm thinking you don't want to get mud stuck inside the tire - they look worse to clean than the snowflake rims of the 90's! Though the tire flexing might be enough to quickly flake out mud.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Polaris introduced something like this a while back for their ATV/UTV's. No idea how they have worked out. Seems like something that should have been here a long time ago....

Reactions: BlackGTP

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Law enforcement will have to come up with something different than spike strips.
And performance cars will have to stick to rubber for a myriad of reasons.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
yeah, they need to keep a sidewall on there for aesthetic reasons at least. I can imagine that a rock getting between the spokes can't be good. And they'll be a pain to clean if open.

Reactions: JGinhisSS and emh

·
Premium Member
36,199 Posts
Law enforcement will have to come up with something different than spike strips.
And performance cars will have to stick to rubber for a myriad of reasons.
I've always thought that a round into the radiator would be pretty effective.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
yeah, they need to keep a sidewall on there for aesthetic reasons at least. I can imagine that a rock getting between the spokes can't be good. And they'll be a pain to clean if open.
Hunk of mud or even snow/ice buildup would throw off the balance too.

·
Registered
18,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hunk of mud or even snow/ice buildup would throw off the balance too.
My thought is the weight of the car deforming the tire as it rolls will quickly crush and expel snow/ice/dirt. However, if a rock somehow gets caught in the tire I bet that'll cause a big problem.

I can also see a new form of mayhem from restless teens with them stuffing rocks and other stuff into the tires while your car sits outside unattended overnight.

·
Premium Member
36,199 Posts
My thought is the weight of the car deforming the tire as it rolls will quickly crush and expel snow/ice/dirt. However, if a rock somehow gets caught in the tire I bet that'll cause a big problem.

I can also see a new form of mayhem from restless teens with them stuffing rocks and other stuff into the tires while your car sits outside unattended overnight.
Never underestimate the power and persistence of goo.

·
Premium Member
34,963 Posts

All they have to do is put side walls on those tires, issue solved

·
Registered
3,805 Posts

Off road your prone to punctures the airless tires or tyres would be better, the tires run smoother absorb shocks better are more comfortable, change their shape to the off road terrain surface better so you get better grip & they last longer, Michelin are my favourite tires not big fan of the French, but would not fit anything else, only use fit the best as the families lifes depend on tire safety a lot that the car sits don't scrimp on safety. They would be great for slow moving Fork lifts, Genies & Telescopic extending boom lifts.

Only downers like you say the stone trapped inside, they generate a lot of heat and they vibrate a bit on a highway at high speeds with a lot of road noise no good on the road at high speed. When you have finished your off roading get back on the tarmac the tires are full of mud and crap the wheels are going to vibrate like hell at first before it starts to gradually fall out.

Don't knows not sure how how much they cost compared to normal tires, sound perfect for motor cycles have witnessed somebody having a high speed front tire blowout on a motor cycle that one of the most scariest things l have ever seen, l bet the guy had to changes his pants he lost total control of the motor cycle steering, vibration at high speed might not be such a problem with airless tyres on a light motor cycle.

Me personally love the safety aspect no blow outs punctures in airless tires, not having to keep an eye on the tire pressure's the lower maintenance, don't do any off-roading only do a little bit normally on vacation, so l have to use what's on the truck anyway. Personally l use tires mainly for higher speed driving don't think l could live with the vibration and louder road noise, l would stick with the trusty Michelin air filled tires tyres.

Reactions: BlackGTP

·
Registered
18,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Off road your prone to punctures the airless tires or tyres would be better, the tires run smoother absorb shocks better are more comfortable, change their shape to the off road terrain surface better so you get better grip & they last longer, Michelin are my favourite tires not big fan of the French, but would not fit anything else, only use fit the best as the families lifes depend on tire safety a lot that the car sits don't scrimp on safety. They would be great for slow moving Fork lifts, Genies & Telescopic extending boom lifts.

Only downers like you say the stone trapped inside, they generate a lot of heat and they vibrate a bit on a highway at high speeds with a lot of road noise no good on the road at high speed. When you have finished your off roading get back on the tarmac the tires are full of mud and crap the wheels are going to vibrate like hell at first before it starts to gradually fall out.

Don't knows not sure how how much they cost compared to normal tires, sound perfect for motor cycles have witnessed somebody having a high speed front tire blowout on a motor cycle that one of the most scariest things l have ever seen, l bet the guy had to changes his pants he lost total control of the motor cycle steering, vibration at high speed might not be such a problem with airless tyres on a light motor cycle.

Me personally love the safety aspect no blow outs punctures in airless tires, not having to keep an eye on the tire pressure's the lower maintenance, don't do any off-roading only do a little bit normally on vacation, so l have to use what's on the truck anyway. Personally l use tires mainly for higher speed driving don't think l could live with the vibration and louder road noise, l would stick with the trusty Michelin air filled tires tyres.
I like the idea of tires that don't need maintenance too! I had the run-flats on my ATS, was nice piece of mind that they couldn't go flat, but they did seem to be a lot more prone to needing replacement and transmitted more noise/harshness. Hopefully this new tech is superior to those issues. I'm assuming there will be some plusses and minuses to these, but I'm willing to give up a little to gain with no maintenance.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts