GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During these hot summer months in Georgia (102 the other day with high humidity, ughh) I have noticed the A/C in these car seems to be lacking a little bit. I remember my 96 Taurus had ice cold A/C and I just drove my sisters Explorer the other day and my nose almost froze off. But yesterday when I was driving my car (2007 Malibu) I had the air on setting 4 which is the highest and I was still sweating. It just doesn't seem to be very cold. Don't get me wrong, it is cold, but not cold enough.

I was just curious if there are any other owners of this gen Malibu that could tell me if their's is like this too or if maybe there is a problem with mine.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I can't speak for the Malibus, I've never rode in one, but our Fords have had the coldest ACs of any cars we have owned (especially our 2 Tauruses). Our IS350 on the other hand has a horrible AC, if it's over about 95 outside the car will never cool off to a comfortable temperature.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have an 08 Malibu and live in South Georgia. I find it takes about 5-10 minutes for the car to totally cool down (4:30 in the afternoon most days going home) but was not sure if it was because it is so hot down here. I have just recently started to notice this also with the past few days being well over 100 and humidity being what it is. Like you with your Ford, our Ford truck cools off very quickly.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Make sure it's in recirculation mode.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Being that you have a black car doesn't help but getting a dark window tint will really help (and I think it looks cool on a black car)

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
I've found that vehicles with R134a since 1994-ish don't cool off as well as the old R12 equipped units.

I had the displeasure to ride in several late model non-GM's (Honda Accord & Dodge Charger) the last few weeks...and their respective AC systems were stinky-pucky...at least compared to my 2 old Buicks.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
retrofit R12!

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is in recirctulation mode. And having a black car definitely does not help. lol I would get a tint but I can't afford to drop the kind of money needed for a decent tint job right now with school payments coming up.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hey man buy a can of refill at walmart or somewhere check the pressure it might need a bit more... another thing not sure if your malibu has one but you might want to take out the air cabin filter, it might be blocking some of that nice cold air.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey man buy a can of refill at walmart or somewhere check the pressure it might need a bit more... another thing not sure if your malibu has one but you might want to take out the air cabin filter, it might be blocking some of that nice cold air.
Would it have really lost pressure being less than 2 years old? My car was built in September 2006.

Also, since no Malibu's even came with a filter and I added one made for a Cobalt a couple months ago, that isn't the problem. lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts