GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following is from a member of a corvette board. Something about this is very very wierd as I dont see the Vette going anywhere, and selling 2 vettes at the same time? please read...
Sit down before reading this. It could be life changing....
An old friend of mine who is a GM Powertrain Tech in Warren, MI called me out of the blue today. He said he just found out they got their budget to do beta development on the "C7's" powertrain. I said , C7? You guys haven't started selling C6's yet!

He say's all this talk of the "Blue Devil" C6 is misinformation meant to keep the journalists at bay. He says there won't be a "Blue Devil" version of the C6. He said that there will be a Z06 or Z07 (as yet undetermined) version of C6 that will be a 2006 model. It will make 50-75 more HP than the C6's LS2.

Here's where it gets interesting:

He says the "C7" will be out, possibly in 07, more likely in 08, and that GM will sell BOTH platforms concurrently.

Both cars will carry the Corvette badge, but each will be significantly different in design, layout, and capability.

Are you sitting down?

He says the C7 is MID-ENGINED. The chassis is coming from the Cadillac Cien concept car, and the price tag WILL be north of 100 grand. They are targetting the Lamborghini Murcielago as the performance benchmark. I asked about the engine layout (OHC, multi valve, aspiration), but he wouldn't tell me. He just said I'd love it.

Like I said, take it with a grain of salt, but this is the same guy who told me in July that the C6 had exposed headlights, an open cowl, and that the interior looked like a reworked C5's. I trust him.

What do you guys think? Is he blowin smoke or do you think its for real. Sound like something stupid GM would do. They seem to mess around with model line and ruin good model names - Impala S.S., Monte Carlo S.S., Chevelle/Nova. I do like the sounds of the C7 though even at $100+.
I dont see a Cien being made for some time as Caddy is trying to become a luxury car maker, not a super car maker. Fug the ME412 and the GT, NONE of thoes cars will contribute to the bottom line. In all honesty, if ford and dcx falls apart, I could give a ****. This just seems pretty stupid IMO anyway. IF GM plans to do this, I will give up on GM and they way they think. As amazing as these cars might be, you have to seriously think about a company when they are just about to make a big break into the market with new products, that they would make a 100k mid engine vette for sh*ts and giggles? Sorry, I dont buy it.

·
Registered
43,795 Posts
<_<
A Grain of salt? Take an entire salt mine.

It sounds really good, but I really don't think GM would have the balls to do a mid-engine supercar. They could do it of course. The Cien is a viable platform. I would prefer Cien to remain a Cadillac, but Chevrolet wants to retain GM's performance crown.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by mgescuro@Feb 16 2004, 10:17 AM
<_<
A Grain of salt? Take an entire salt mine.

It sounds really good, but I really don't think GM would have the balls to do a mid-engine supercar. They could do it of course. The Cien is a viable platform. I would prefer Cien to remain a Cadillac, but Chevrolet wants to retain GM's performance crown.
I dont think that Chevy wants to have the performance crown, I think that goes to Pontiac. The Vette is just part of what Chevy has to offer. I see chevy as a car company that has a bit of everything. It has a world class sports car, it has a nice luxury sedan, it has a strong v8 coupe, it has a sporty little compact, and all the rest of the cars to fill in the cracks.

·
Registered
372 Posts
This sounds oddly familiar...

Some time ago, I read somewhere online that GM had plans for making the Corvette into a seperate brand. So you'd have a whole line of cars under the Corvette moniker, like a Corvette Camaro, Corvette Nomad, etc. The basis for the idea was that GM wants to take the Corvette and make it compete with higher end sports cars, such as Lamborghinis, and it wasn't going to be possible while the car was still under the Chevy logo. At the same time, create a brand akin to Porsche, above Pontiac in performance.

Very strange... :type:

·
Registered
776 Posts
I just don't really see the point. The current Z06 is very nearly as fast as many multi-hundred thousand dollar cars. Why mess with such a good thing? Part of Corvette's legend is that it is attainable. Most everyone knows someone, or at least someone that knows someone who has (or had) a 'Vette. It's not like one of these foo-foo exotics. It's a car you can climb in and use everyday, that just happens to also blow the doors off of 99.9% of cars in existence. Why turn it into just another super-exotic?

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
From what I have heard he HAS been very accurated on Corvette news in the past.... I actually see this happening, to compete with Ford's GT, and Chrysler's ME-12 (If they build it)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts