GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with installing or having installed at a dealership or elsewhere an Aux Input Jack for MP-3/Zune/IPOD on their GM vehicles?

It is the one thing that is starting to piss me off my Lax. The FM transmitter I tried is spotty, frustrating and too much of a distraction to change freqs. in the vehicle.

Another thing I am concerned with is have my perfectly good vehicle screwed up over a "want to have" modification/ unecessary maintenance action.

Any advice would be appreciated. If the advice is "buy a new car", it can wait until 2012/2013.

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Worst comes to worst you could always buy an amplifier for the trunk or something like that. Have one end hooked up to the radio and one end hooked up to the auxiliary jack (can be bought at RadioShack) and you can control one or the other.

Of course, that's a last resort type of thing. I know we were going to try to bypass the cassette deck on my 20-something year-old radio which was possible with the mid-level cassette/AM/FM radio but not possible once the higher-end radio (at the time) with EQ was added. It's a pretty nifty setup if anyone is looking to do it on their older car though!

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. Would I be running the wires under the carpet or something from the trunk to the radiohead or somewhere else?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Check out http://www.pac-audio.com/products/productsCatagory.asp?mmSearch=Auxiliary Input

I have the AAI-GM24 in my 2005 Grand Prix GXP. Works better than an FM transmitter but there are some issues. First, when there's no music going to the input you can hear a slight crackling sound but it's not audible when you're actually playing music. Second, it says it works with CD and XM but I could not get it to work with the XM unit connected. I don't subscribe to XM so I just disconnected the unit (in the trunk under the carpet, mounted on the back side of the wheel well on the driver's side, should be same location as on the LaCrosse since they're both W-body cars).

Soundgate is another company that makes a similar product but I've heard from other users that it can cause conflicts on the data bus.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check out http://www.pac-audio.com/products/productsCatagory.asp?mmSearch=Auxiliary Input

I have the AAI-GM24 in my 2005 Grand Prix GXP. Works better than an FM transmitter but there are some issues. First, when there's no music going to the input you can hear a slight crackling sound but it's not audible when you're actually playing music. Second, it says it works with CD and XM but I could not get it to work with the XM unit connected. I don't subscribe to XM so I just disconnected the unit (in the trunk under the carpet, mounted on the back side of the wheel well on the driver's side, should be same location as on the LaCrosse since they're both W-body cars).

Soundgate is another company that makes a similar product but I've heard from other users that it can cause conflicts on the data bus.

Good luck!
Thanks for information. I have an XM Subscription through 2010, so I will not be screwing with that for a while. Will check out the website.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts