GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
KABUL - Canada likes to say it is the engine that drives Afghanistan's reconstruction, but that it's the Afghan people who are in the driver's seat.

In the country's capital city, it appears that Afghans are taking that literally. Driving a so-called "Canadian car" has become a symbol of prestige among residents of Kabul.

"They're just good cars," said Abdul Saleem Rahimi, who runs a dealership in downtown Kabul. "They are better than any other kind of car."

While Canadians may associate Toyota with the Japanese, Volkswagen with the Germans and Ford with the Americans, all three are considered Canadian cars in Kabul.

True, all three do contain either parts made in Canada or are assembled in Canada. But in Kabul, who built the car or where it was designed doesn't matter. It's about where it came from.

"Even if they are originally American cars, all the cars here are famous by the name of Canada," Rahimi said.

"The first time cars were brought to Afghanistan they come from Canada, that's why everybody knows them," he said.

Rahimi said auto dealers in Kabul do a brisk business importing cars from Canada that have been damaged in accidents or are used cars that dealers were unable to sell.

He was quick to say the cars are not stolen, but legitimately exported from Canada to Dubai where they are bought by dealers in many countries, including Afghanistan.

More at link:
http://www.macleans.ca/canada/wire/article.jsp?content=n030929A

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Uhh...hearing someone calling a Ford a Canadian car is a first for me...
Meh, they might well be models made in Canada. I think the point is that they seem to like Canadians, and a crash damaged Ford may well be miles ahead of some of the crap they have there.

But either way, it's becuase the cars they buy were bought from Canada, they may not know the difference.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
We Rule...Canada FTW
:woot:

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
They're all cars shipped from Canada. It has nothing to do with where they were built or anything, it has to do with where they're imported from. And those from Canada, considering where Canadians are stationed and how many Afghans feel about Canada, results in this bit of Canadian love.

I quite appreciate the gesture. It shows that not only do many Afghans care but that they're willing to actually publicize their appreciation for what our troops are doing over there.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
They're all cars shipped from Canada. It has nothing to do with where they were built or anything, it has to do with where they're imported from. And those from Canada, considering where Canadians are stationed and how many Afghans feel about Canada, results in this bit of Canadian love.

I quite appreciate the gesture. It shows that not only do many Afghans care but that they're willing to actually publicize their appreciation for what our troops are doing over there.
Exactly. I'd still like to know why the focus is on Iraq after they already got Saddam, and yet Osama who actually was INVOLVED gets free ride and the US has pretty much left in favor of blowing the crap out of another country that didnt have anything to do with it.

That's my problem...but I suspect an honest answer isn't forthcoming.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Another piece of nationalistic/ flag-waving garbage from that Maclean's rag...Let's just say it that mag is known in Canada for being very nationalistic/ anti-American. Before a few of my fellow Canadians try to flame me, note that I am IN Canada.

The fact that they have to call an American car a "Canadian car" just goes to prove that everything in this country really is American or somehow connected to the U.S. Not a bad thing, because Americans are cool people. But reality...Almost all of our jobs are created by big American companies like GM and Ford and MOST taxes are paid by them as well...Tim Horton's "our" beloved coffee chain is American owned (shares mostly reside in the U.S.) no matter how hard we try to spin it Canadian...92% of all our trade goes to the U.S.; without them we would be just like Afghanistan. So "Canadian" cars coming from, well, American cars, is the way it is...*Sigh* Don't expect a true Canadian car brand like Holden in Australi anytime soon.

Just to note, this is similar to all of the Iraqi children waving American flags. You have to win the hearts of the people to win the war. Too be honest, most Afghanies could not even find Canada or the U.S. on a map if you asked them.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Exactly. I'd still like to know why the focus is on Iraq after they already got Saddam, and yet Osama who actually was INVOLVED gets free ride and the US has pretty much left in favor of blowing the crap out of another country that didnt have anything to do with it.

That's my problem...but I suspect an honest answer isn't forthcoming.
I can tell you...It has to do with sucking in all the Arab/ Islam fighters into a big hole and killing them. It is a meatgrinder, plain and simple. The government feels if you fight them there, we will not be fighting them in North America. Haven't seen any bombings in the U.S. since 9/11, possibly because they are so tied up fighting the West in Iraq. Some people might not see or like that strategy, but I guess it is what it is. You are right, it really hasn't anything to do with direct terrorist involvement by Iraq. Although Saddam did nothing to draw attention away from himself. I remember after the first Gulf War, the same people complaining today about fighting a war in Iraq are the same people (journalists, etc.) that laughed at and criticized elder Bush for "not going after Saddam" and how "he failed to defeat Saddam." I guess they never expected another Bush in the White House and one that would not hesitate for a little payback.

Just some observations and analysis...Not trying to start a flame war. Didn't say I agreed or disagreed with what I wrote.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts

What, you mean they're not sending McLaughlins over there? :rolleyes: Not even some Asünas and Passports? What then? Maybe it's just some W-bodies, pick-ups and Chrysler LXs. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.