GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am new to the forums. First time here. I am actually looking to purchase a truck, and have found two so far.

An 03 2500hd 6.0 4wd
$10000
and
An 03 1500HD 6.0 with quadrasteer 2wd
$13000

My question deals with gas mileage. I will be using this as a daily driver, but on occasion will tow a friend's 5000lb boat (like once every other month), or a 13ft open trailer full of hay once every 3-4 months.

What kind of mileage can I expect from either truck unloaded? Would a superchips tuner help with mileage on the 2500 (will not be able to afford it on the 1500)?

Is anyone successfully getting 15mpg from a 2500 around here?

thanks,
-Me

·
Registered
20,669 Posts
You'll get 15 on the hwy, not pulling anything......

About 11 or 12 around town.

I'd by a car, rent a truck 6 times a year ..............

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply,

That was just an illustration of the most weight I would pull.

I also carry 4x8 sheets of plywood, pvc, camping equipment, and various other things that are sometimes awkward in shape and size.

I am looking for a truck, I just didn't know if there was a big difference in mpg between the two, whether if with the price difference the 1500 would catch up anytime soon on cost, and whether or not the 1500 would handle the larger loads (although not that large by most standards) easily.

thanks again,
-Me

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I would go with the 1500. It will get better milage. My 04 Silvy get 16 to 18. When pulling something it get 13.

The only problem with a 2wd is trying to pull a boat out of the lake. I like to have the 4wd for extra grip.

Welcome to GMI

1 - 4 of 4 Posts