GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
What do headlights have to do with infrastructure, how much of our money is going into this.
By allowing adaptive headlights, which are almost always LED or Laser-based, both of which use less electricity and therefore increase range / use less gas which decreases the draw on the grid / need for fuel? As for how much of our money? Probably none for this part since it only removes a DOT rule disallowing adaptive headlights, in a sense it could save some manufacturers money because now they can just use one type of headlight as opposed to the "American headlight" and (their) domestic headlight. This part is a good thing.

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
By allowing adaptive headlights, which are almost always LED or Laser-based, both of which use less electricity and therefore increase range / use less gas which decreases the draw on the grid / need for fuel? As for how much of our money? Probably none for this part since it only removes a DOT rule disallowing adaptive headlights, in a sense it could save some manufacturers money because now they can just use one type of headlight as opposed to the "American headlight" and (their) domestic headlight. This part is a good thing. Even the whole part about planting trees in (poor, more ethnically diverse) neighborhoods actually saves a little money since the tress can lessen the heat load from the pavement, thereby lowering the temperature in the area which will then put less strain on the grid and is much cheaper than fortifying the grid in those areas. The bill is 2,701 pages so it's quite the task to get through, but there are a few good things in it.
Not to derail the thread, but I've seen the studies about the trees in the poorer sides of town. I'm all for trees and do believe they can save a decent amount of electricity. However, they leave out the cost - most of the treeless cityscapes have no place for trees, so they'd have to remove concrete and bring in suitable soil - that's got to use a lot of energy to do. And, in a city environment with a small square of dirt for the tree to grow in is never going to produce a big population of huge, shade giving tree like an oak or maple. They can plant dwarf trees that'll do well, but they won't have the shade impact of a big tree.

Little things they leave out. I believe in the theory but question the reality of implementing it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Not to derail the thread, but I've seen the studies about the trees in the poorer sides of town. I'm all for trees and do believe they can save a decent amount of electricity. However, they leave out the cost - most of the treeless cityscapes have no place for trees, so they'd have to remove concrete and bring in suitable soil - that's got to use a lot of energy to do. And, in a city environment with a small square of dirt for the tree to grow in is never going to produce a big population of huge, shade giving tree like an oak or maple. They can plant dwarf trees that'll do well, but they won't have the shade impact of a big tree.

Little things they leave out. I believe in the theory but question the reality of implementing it.
I get that. I'm hoping they plant them in empty lots or something. I'm hopeful, not optimistic.

Sorry for the sidebar, wasn't trying to derail it. I edited my post to remove the "tree thing"

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I get that. I'm hoping they plant them in empty lots or something. I'm hopeful, not optimistic.

Sorry for the sidebar, wasn't trying to derail it. I edited my post to remove the "tree thing"
No issue here! It's a topic of interest for me! I like to garden/landscape and maintain my forests.

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
Don't know about Audi, but for BMW some U.S. owners have successfully coded their car's software to activate the European/ECE spec adaptive driving beam functionality. Here's an example at Bimmerfest:

In case anyone's wondering, dealers will NOT do this kind of coding for customers. You're on your own, with help from forums like this one and Bimmerfest of course. ;)
VCDS vagcom allows you to "long code" "VAG" vehicles and there are a LOT of people "unlocking" EU features in USDM models
FORSCAN allows similar functionality in FORD vehicles AND "alphaOBD" for "FCA" vehicles has some functionality
people have already added blind spot monitoring and other features into models that do NOT have them new

·
Registered
21,316 Posts
.............. If people want to pay, GM should offer...........
Agree! Maybe they'll start offering Heated/Cooled Seats and Steering Wheels too?

By allowing adaptive headlights, which are almost always LED or Laser-based, both of which use less electricity and therefore increase range / use less gas which decreases the draw on the grid / need for fuel? As for how much of our money? Probably none for this part since it only removes a DOT rule disallowing adaptive headlights, in a sense it could save some manufacturers money because now they can just use one type of headlight as opposed to the "American headlight" and (their) domestic headlight. This part is a good thing.
That's not infrastructure........ (other than cost) nothing stopping auto companies from offering LED headlights across the board today.

But then we've got to use leaf-blowers and vacuums (gas or electric) to pick-up the leaves, negating the benefit, and if the tree does get big, and actually provide some shade, it needs to be trimmed with a chain-saw (gas or electric) to prevent it from blocking the solar panels, or worse, it falls over and knocks down the electricity wires.................
"viscous circle"

·
Registered
162 Posts
That's not infrastructure........ (other than cost) nothing stopping auto companies from offering LED headlights across the board today.
Never said it was, just guessing as to how it could connect to infrastructure in any way. I don't really care how they got it here, just glad they did. Gift horse....mouth....all that.

·
Registered
162 Posts
But then we've got to use leaf-blowers and vacuums (gas or electric) to pick-up the leaves, negating the benefit, and if the tree does get big, and actually provide some shade, it needs to be trimmed with a chain-saw (gas or electric) to prevent it from blocking the solar panels, or worse, it falls over and knocks down the electricity wires.................
"viscous circle"
Don't HAVE to use them....leaves on the ground can be raked.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
VCDS vagcom allows you to "long code" "VAG" vehicles and there are a LOT of people "unlocking" EU features in USDM models
FORSCAN allows similar functionality in FORD vehicles AND "alphaOBD" for "FCA" vehicles has some functionality
people have already added blind spot monitoring and other features into models that do NOT have them new
🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 my oh my..such naughtiness!

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
The camera side mirrors should have been approved as well smh.

Reactions: JimmyDiablo

·
Registered
21,316 Posts
Never said it was, just guessing as to how it could connect to infrastructure in any way. I don't really care how they got it here, just glad they did. Gift horse....mouth....all that.
That's fraud.......... "gift" yeah, like it's all "free"?

Don't HAVE to use them....leaves on the ground can be raked.
Leaves, what about the tree? Meanwhile you are in the dark, literally....

21 - 33 of 33 Posts