GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
4,104 Posts
Audi already sells the matrix LED headlamps in the US. Is there a difference between EU and US spec matrix headlamps currently??

What's the difference here?
The difference is that U.S. market Audis with matrix LED headlamps have software that disables the Adaptive Driving Beam functionality, defined as:

The Adaptive Main (Driving) Beam system is based upon a sensor that identifies the positions of other vehicles and an image processor and electronic control unit (ECU) sending signals to the headlamp that automatically adapts the light distribution of the main beam to provide optimised (sic) glare controlled illumination of the road scene ahead. The sensor, ECU and lighting electronics are similar to that used for the Adaptive Dipped Beam Cut-off Line system but the light technique and the headlamp construction differ to provide more flexibility in the way that the light distribution can be adapted both vertically and horizontally.
In North America, ADB has been legal in Canada since 2018 and in Mexico long before that.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I presume these lights are expensive and everyone who bought them in the USA basically gets nothing out of them except that they look cool and high tech? Wow.

I wonder if they'll be able to have the dealer to restore full functionality once they are legal.
Don't know about Audi, but for BMW some U.S. owners have successfully coded their car's software to activate the European/ECE spec adaptive driving beam functionality. Here's an example at Bimmerfest:

In case anyone's wondering, dealers will NOT do this kind of coding for customers. You're on your own, with help from forums like this one and Bimmerfest of course. ;)

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
VW Group cars can usually have global market options configured by VCDS (a close clone of the dealer diagnostic software) provided the hardware is physically in place.
Thanks Ruperts Trooper, that sounds similar to ISTA for BMW automobiles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts