GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 9, or a 10? Audi’s 2014 L.A. Auto Show Concept Could Be the A9—and Could Be a Stunner

Car and Driver
October 14, 2014
By: Robert Sorokanich

Audi has a surprise in store for the 2014 Los Angeles auto show and is teasing us with a peek at it. The darkened image above shows an unnamed concept car that we believe previews the brand’s upcoming A9 flagship. As we’ve speculated, and the photo seems to back up, the A9 is shaping up to be a large luxury hatchback—think of a plus-size A7, or of our A9 rendering, and you wouldn’t be far off—that would sit above the A8 in the lineup. But it also represents something more.

The concept car, penned by Audi’s new head of design Marc Lichte, will show off the company’s new design language that soon will spread to the brand’s entire lineup. Judging by how common Audi’s styling is from model to model, this concept thus bears huge implications for the company’s future product portfolio.
Full article and photo at the link. This is good news though. I like the A8, but every once in a while it just seems, I don't know, common. Doesn't it? :D Interested in the next generation of Audi's styling though.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
It's hard to say of course but the shadowy image looks something like a crossover to me, judging from the position of the C (or D) pillar.

·
Registered
19,629 Posts
if the rendering is accurate of the "new" design theme it looks like nothing more than a further extension of the current theme. Nice, but not materially changed.

A9, A10 - starting to see a lot of similarities to what's going on at Cadillac. Someone institute the same plans at Cadillac as they had at Audi?

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
Would be interesting to see Cadillac be a first mover in this sort of market with CT6/CT8.

If Cadillac lowballs the large premium segment with CT6 and overshoots it with CT8, I would be veeeery interested to see how that plays out...

Besides that, can't tell anything from the picture. I wouldn't be shocked if rather than a typical sedan or crossover, the A9 was more of an allroad-type inbetweener.

THAT would be very interesting...

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Would be interesting to see Cadillac be a first mover in this sort of market with CT6/CT8.

If Cadillac lowballs the large premium segment with CT6 and overshoots it with CT8, I would be veeeery interested to see how that plays out...

Besides that, can't tell anything from the picture. I wouldn't be shocked if rather than a typical sedan or crossover, the A9 was more of an allroad-type inbetweener.

THAT would be very interesting...
The initial reaction for many people to the CT6 was one of disappointment. However, I'm thrilled about it for the reason you mentioned. Finally, I see Cadillac being Cadillac; developing an upper range with innovation and differentiation.

We know Cadillac has the CT6, a full EV, ELR replacement and a grand flagship coming. That could fill out Cadillac from CT6 - CT9. Maybe the ELR replacement will slot below the CT6. The Elmiraj will slot in there somehow as well.

I find Cadillac's upper range to be unique and progressive from the Germans. People get mad when Cadillac copies the Germans and they get mad when they don't. This is Cadillac charting their own path.

Likewise, I see Audi being Audi with the A9, and that's great. It will probably be some kind of sportback, luxury allroad like you mentioned.

I'm calling the Nanuk concept or some kind of sedan-ish derivative of it. The top shot proportions look similar.

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
Likewise, I see Audi being Audi with the A9, and that's great. It will probably be some kind of sportback, luxury allroad like you mentioned.

I'm calling the Nanuk concept or some kind of sedan-ish derivative of it. The top shot proportions look similar.

Exaaaactly!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts