GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just one question for GM's problem. every one knows gm got too many brands, chevy, pontiac,saturn, saab, caddy, gmc, hummer disregard others in other countries like holden,opel, vh etc...
so, why can gm focus this problem? u going to say, oh repost we all know that...
no, i meant why can GM just sell GM and pick one luxury brand like caddy, and one more for trucks which gm can combine gmc and hummer. now let's pick all good ones or say keeping the good ones from each subsideries like keeping malibu slashing g6 and aura; keeping g8 kicking impala(or just change g8 to impala); keeping enclave forget about outlook acaidia and traverse, and so on.....
this will make gm a new brand but solve rebadging, overlapping, saving advertising, and think about going to one dealer that u can have them all. in fact, this happens in my city Brooklyn in NYC, there is no Saturn here, nor Staten Island after they sold those dealers. i got to go to new jersey to see one or 60 miles away, it used to have 3 near me, one 3miles away and 8 miles. Same with one pontiac dealer use to be one like 4 miles away was sold to Mitsu. consider all brands, gm got dealers everywhere still, but too many branding makes them scarcy. thats why i cant testdrive an Astra.

on the other hand, japanese or European, even korean are running one economic brand and one lux brand and maybe one more something creative. this because u either poor or rich or cant afford at all. u think people will give a dan if it's a pontiac corvette or a chevy vette if they look the same?

a month ago, i convinced my father to buy himself a Aveo other than a Fit. good thing was the emplyee price lured him, and the Fit was not there in honda showroom, nor any scions left in toyo rooms. those probably sold out. i cant imagine how popular they r these days.

well, gm, make changes, i want to visit u soon. i will even let u copy my ideas for free. just dont die. i have faith in you and love u too.

from your loyalt costumer

·
Banned
1,460 Posts
I have often wondered whether this benefits GM or the "I Wish I were CEO" that post on these forums... With exception to marketing cost and dealer allocation... I have yet to a compelling argument on how having less brands would benefit GM. In fact I see it as a sure fire way of losing customers. The Oldsmobile situation was a prime example... As I guarantee the GM LOST a great deal of customers when they closed Olds who instead of going to Buick, Pontiac, or Saturn... went to Honda, Toyota, or Ford.

One can argue for DAYS about the need for Killing a brand.. here... and merging a brand... there... but truth is If GM should get rid of it's 8 brands... then America as a whole needs to get rid of at least 20-30 more of the brands that currently occupies the selling atmosphere. Many have no clue that in the U.S. we currently have 50 Brands on sale... 50!!!

Acura, Hyundai, Morgan, Aston Martin, Infiniti, Nissan, Audi, Isuzu, Bentley, Jaguar, Panoz, BMW, Jeep, Pontiac, Buick, Kia, Porsche, Cadillac, Lamborghini, Rolls-Royce, Chevrolet, Land Rover, Saab, Lexus, Saleen, Chrysler, Lincoln, Saturn, Dodge, Lotus, Scion, Maserati, smart, Ferrari, Maybach, Subaru, Ford, Mazda, Suzuki, Tesla, GMC, Mercedes-Benz, Toyota, Mercury, Honda, MINI, Volkswagen, HUMMER, Mitsubishi, and Volvo

See??? I told U...

LMFAO at the idea that any 1 company could have a 20% market share with 42 other brands competing with it.. let alone last month's 27%. GM's total third quarter 2008 sales of 828,000 vehicles were 4 percent higher than second quarter sales of 799,000 vehicles and 3 percent higher than first quarter sales of 806,000. I often LAUGH at the lunacy when certain forum members talk about GM's Market share in the 60's.. hell even in the 90's. They fail EVRYTIME to mention that in the 60s... it was pretty GM, Ford, Chrysler, and a coupla Foreign makes from Toyota, Benz, and VW.

Bottom line is that if GM didn't need cash to bolster it's bank book... Hummer would probably not be 4 sale... It is actually very successful as a brand... very profitable and required very little money to implement. Even R&D is minimal since it is completely based on existing platforms and engines.

On the other brands people constantly rant that Pontiac is not successful.. not even knowing what kinda sales numbers Pontiac does... Basically speaking from ignorance which proliferates more ignorance, and simply makes me eventually .. angry.. Pontiac sells better than MANY of the names I listed above... MANY.. Including VW, Mazda, Scion, Mitsu, Subie,... I mean with 225,708 sales this year alone... based on many people's rationale that Pontiac should die... why shouldn't Mazda go as well.. VW.. Subie... Mercury/Lincoln (combined sell less)... all should GO.. Chrysler and Jeep.. gone.. they only sell about 45-50K more These are all mainstream brands.. no Niche or Luxo.. so what's their excuse? Subaru has sold a blazing 143K for the year.. even discounting Pontiac's Fleet sales still leaves them with more Retail sales than Subie...

Saturn is the other one CONSTANTLY berated with "Anti-Life" letters from this very forum... It's sold 159K... That's more than Subie.. damm near equal to Mazda (162K).. Yet.. it should die??? Where is the evidence?? What makes your case for the destruction of these brands... as their sales speak a whole nother story in terms of relevance.

GM's profitability lies in cutting cost in the manufacturing process, which at this point has been done with one exception.. LABOR costs driven by UAW workers that need to GO, and FOCUSING on making higher profits on products sold by charging premium pricing for premium vehicles such as a true differentiation in price on Saturn versus Chevy.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
Excellent, excellent, excellent post Cmica!

Yes, kill Pontiac Buick and GMC... nevermind that combined that would be almost the equivalent of killing Chevrolet.

162,000 Mazdas? Chevrolet sells more hated W body Impalas and Malibus that that alone, nevermind the evil Cobalt, which also has to die, inspite of the fact that Lordstown is running 3 shifts to meet demand.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Excellent, excellent, excellent post Cmica!

Yes, kill Pontiac Buick and GMC... nevermind that combined that would be almost the equivalent of killing Chevrolet.

162,000 Mazdas? Chevrolet sells more hated W body Impalas and Malibus that that alone, nevermind the evil Cobalt, which also has to die, inspite of the fact that Lordstown is running 3 shifts to meet demand.
Why should Cobalt die? Is it because you don't care for it, or because they are one of the only cars that is getting sold at a rate that they need three shifts to keep up with demand?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts