GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
200 Posts
Re: A Proper Comparo: Jag XF vs Caddy CTS

If the CTS needs a more powerful motor, it definitely should not be an LS motor.

The LS motors are all about power and torque in an inexpensive manner. I would consider them the best motors in the world in that regard. This is not what Cadillac should be. Caddy's should have smaller displacements that rev high while being very refined. If the Ultra V8 is not happening then it should be a turbo V6.

And before the flaming begins, I have a 5.3L V8. It's an awesome motor. Sounds great, very good power, and very smooth. I also have a turbo 4 cylinder VW. When I first got it, I banged it off the rev limiter all the time because it revved so fast and did not even think of shuddering. My last motor is a mid 80s Audi 5 cylinder. I don't think there is a better sounding motor that was ever put in a small car. It's not powerful but runs beautifully with over 200,000 miles.

My point is that if I am going to spend $40,000+ on a car, I want a motor like the Audi or VW. It fits the type of car, it seems more expensive. The GM V8, while an awesome motor, cheapens the car. I would bet that someone who would actually buy the car (not the internet folk) would agree with me.

· Registered
200 Posts
Re: A Proper Comparo: Jag XF vs Caddy CTS

I'd rather have a V8 any day.... especially once they DI it, which is surely coming.
Yes but what car will be your next purchase?

If the V8 didn't do anything for the Impala, Lacrosse, and Grand Prix, why on earth would it help the CTS?

If GM wants to compete with the big boys, they will need a V8. The smartest move would be to outsource one from another company. The LSA even cheapens the CTS-V. A supercharged 6.2L motor at 600+ hp is nothing groundbreaking. A BMW 5.0L naturally aspirated putting out 500 hp is. Even if a custom built motor for the V series cars cost $10,000 or more, it would be worth it in the long run. Look what it did for the Z06.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.