GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family is a big GM family (no direct employment, but we've certainly been graced by the economic benefits GM has brought to Michigan), but members have been breaking off in recent years and buying more and more foreign makes.

I own a 2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual that I've experienced no problems with, and that I love to this day.

I wanted to purchase a GM vehicle when I made my purchase, but I honestly could find nothing that motivated me to seal any deal with GM. There was simply nothing with any particular character or 'stand out' attributes that I could find on any GM lot, despite the gains in quality and design that GM has made in recent years, and that truly disappointed me.

At any rate, I like reading the threads on this site, but one thing I see as a recurring theme is a big red flag that I've noticed since the 80's (when I was a teen, and constantly asked my father "why can't GM build vehicles that are as reliable as Honda or Toyota?," to which he really didn't have a good answer despite his wisdom).

That red flag is this: Hyundai is viewed by many here as an inferior brand. I see it in thread after thread.

Rather than re-create the wheel, I will simply copy and paste my response from another thread dealing with this issue (where Hyundai was being discounted as a lightweight automaker):

It's assumptions like those made by the people ignoring or discounting Hyundai's progress in terms of quality control, global sales and R&D that truly make me worry about the future of the U.S. automakers and the health of U.S. manufacturing.

Don't misinterpret my words; I'm rooting for a vibrant U.S. auto industry, while watching it decline year after year.

Do you think it's just idle words when Toyota's CEO says the biggest concern Toyota has is Hyundai?

It's time for new blood at the big 2.5. New blood from top to bottom. They need long-term thinkers with a true passion for building superior products with superior components from the front to rear bumper. If they do that, the profits and market share will naturally follow.

Alan Mulally is a test case for Ford. It will be interesting to see what he is able to do, and how quickly he can do it, with Ford.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I concur and have posted a similiar thread. That said, I recommend you take a Solstice coupe out to compare to your Rx-8 once they are on lots.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I concur and have posted a similiar thread. That said, I recommend you take a Solstice coupe out to compare to your Rx-8 once they are on lots.
Yeah, Hyundai aint no joke no more.

I concur with the Solstic/Sky coupes (get the GXP/Redline version though)

·
Registered
44,160 Posts
Welcome to GMI. :D

I wanted to purchase a GM vehicle when I made my purchase, but I honestly could find nothing that motivated me to seal any deal with GM. There was simply nothing with any particular character or 'stand out' attributes that I could find on any GM lot, despite the gains in quality and design that GM has made in recent years, and that truly disappointed me.
For a while, there really was nothing that stood out at GM. Bland. Characterless. Ugly-mobiles.

Now, in recent years, there have been some interesting development and products coming from GM. But they have been too few and far between. You can seriously count these cars on 1 hand: Enclave, Sky, Solstice, CTS, Malibu.

I think the products that GM will start coming out with are heads and shoulders above anything they have done prior. However, I'm becoming more and more concerned about the repetitive design use on some of their new car/concept interiors. The Cruze/Orlando interior, I can understand because Orlando is a wagon-ish version of Cruze. But why is there a similar interior in the Astra?
Creating stunning design is one thing. A stunning design repeated 2 dozen times in various cars is boring.

At any rate, I like reading the threads on this site, but one thing I see as a recurring theme is a big red flag that I've noticed since the 80's (when I was a teen, and constantly asked my father "why can't GM build vehicles that are as reliable as Honda or Toyota?," to which he really didn't have a good answer despite his wisdom).
Yeah... well, that's the $10 billion question, isn't it?? Fingers point in every direction on this issue. And I don't think there's one answer that fits the question.

Alan Mulally is a test case for Ford. It will be interesting to see what he is able to do, and how quickly he can do it, with Ford.[/i]
He had a reputation for getting engineering to do its job efficiently and better. I didn't think he was capable of tackling Ford's problems.
I'm glad I'm being proven wrong.
A lot of what Ford is doing and what they are planning on doing, I'm really excited about.
I still disagree on getting rid of PAG and retaining Mercury though.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts

Yet why is it that 9 out of 20 times the first 20 plus year old car you will see on the road in any given day is a Domestic?

Just one observation....

Too bad about the Rx8, I hope that it does not blow as much blue smoke as my coworkers 07, but I guess that if GM had a rotary powered 4 door coupe, you would have bought that right?

·
Banned
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I do like the CTS (and CTS-V, obviously), the new Malibu, and the ZR1 (but please GM, upgrade the interior of the Vette).

I saw the spyshot photos of the new Cruze, and I like what I saw (it's Korean made, no?).

As for my RX-8, it's been absolutely trouble free. Not one problem; not even a tiny one. You can trail me, and you won't see even the tiniest puff of smoke, in any color. It's the best handling car I've ever owned by far, and with the 6 speed, although lacking torque, it moves rapidly in the 7k to 9.5k rpm range. It also has a nicely balanced ride as an everyday driver, given its outstanding handling.

Don't forget that the rotary engine is designed to consume some oil (I've been adding about 1/4 of a quart every 1500 miles), and the new motor has a computerized oil metering pump that injects oil at specific times and RPMs. Even with this design, Mazda was able to meet 50 state emissions standards, so they've single-handedly kept the rotary alive.

There are some problems with the early build motors (04 model year especially) with automatic transmissions in hot climates.

This is probably because the auto (which is less powerful than the manual) only has one oil cooler, compared to the two oil coolers that come standard with the manual. With the wankel, it's important to keep the oil as cool as possible (heat soak can become a problem).

Mazda did extend everyones engine warranty to 8 years/100k miles which was good of them.

If you want to know more about the RX8 or the rotary, my screen name is the same over at http://www.rx8club.com/

I've thought of buying a Pontiac G8 GT when I need a sedan, and am going to wait until the LS3 motor version comes out before I test drive it.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
My brother has a 2002 Hyundai that sucked. At least they fixed it for free! I just noticed that at 60,000 miles, that car drove worse than my Traiblazer did with 120,000 miles. I know it's not a fair comparison given the price difference, but the Hyundai did get louder, rougher, and looser in the way that it rode/drove as it aged.

Maybe one day I'll try Hyundai, but I'm still a little skeptical...and now that other brands offer similar warranties, it's a good thing that their newer products are actually appealing.

I really like the new Sonata and the new Elantra, but there is stiff competition for both of those cars.
The new Elantra especially is an attractive buy. The new gains in fuel economy is important.

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
Well, GM is doing great business exporting Korean-made Daewoos as Chevrolets to every part of the world except the US. However that doesn't do much for US-based manufacturing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts