GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After attending a few car shows and seeing the last generation Camaros, an overview of the lines and interiors reinforce my belief that GM made a mistake when they dropped the f-body cars from production.
We went over the production costs and supposed performance faults, but these could have been improved with GM increasing sales of this model. So, they drop the Camaro and introduce the GTO and, rightly or wrongly, they are hobbled with a car that has not lived up to even meager sales expectations.
This thread is not a shot at the GTO but a shot at GM's management taking the cheap way out instead of improving (if necessary) the Camaro.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Yes, it just seems crazy to have dropped this line. Even if they did want to close St. Therese, they were still making around 40-60k F-bodies a year, had an established nameplate and a running program. I don't think they can possibly make as much money on the SSR and GTO as they did on the F-bodies.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by banzai79@Jun 1 2004, 05:15 AM
Yes, it just seems crazy to have dropped this line. Even if they did want to close St. Therese, they were still making around 40-60k F-bodies a year, had an established nameplate and a running program. I don't think they can possibly make as much money on the SSR and GTO as they did on the F-bodies.
Think so? I dont think that the goal of the SSR or GTO was to replace any of the fbody, but that seems to be what people think.
Forget about the GTO and SSR. They are not here to fill in for the Firebird or Camaro ok?
The reason they killed the fbody has been gone over time and time again. They did it, get over it, I have and Im probably the biggest Fbody fan on this site.
The Camaro will be back, and there will be plenty of performance to do away with the Mustang. Its all up to us GM enthusiasts show GM how much we love the fbodies. Thats what the Stang fans did. Problem is that fbody fans arent as enthusiastsic about there cars as much as the Stang owners are.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Uh-uh.
Going to the local car shows, I see many of the younger guys showing off their Camaros (last generation). In fact, I would stick my neck out and say that the younger guys show more late gen Camaros than Mustangs. So, the pride of ownership is there.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Yah I to beleave they made a ((MAJOR)) mistake in the killing of the F body. And even thow I dont beleave the GTO/SSR were completely ment to be the replacements for the Firebird/Camaro I do see your point. To (replace?) <_< the less expensive F' RWD PERFORMANCE cars with the more expensive ones (AND HEAVER ONES) at that was (WRONG!!) Dont get me wrong I love the GTO/SSR myself and with more POWER they would have been wonderful more expensive brothers to the F cars I think. The GTO should have been brought to market with at least 400HP or more for the same $$. Same with the HEAVER SSR allso with the F cars reaching 350HP for about 30K in top tune this year. OH well there gone now witch is still a major downer but at least there are there more expensive BROTHERS. ;)

·
Registered
954 Posts
Ste. Therese sucked, and GM new it. So they cancel the F-Body for a few years, bring out a whole new and much better platform (Zeta), and reintroduce a Camaro that is 10x better than the last generation. What's so bad about that?

The GTO and SSR are meant to be low production vehicles for people with high income looking for a second vehicle. These aren't for the younger generations like the Mustang and Camaro are.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts