GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went test driving cars with my dad. He's in the market. He says price doesnt really matter hence the big gap in price points with these cars. But we drove:

2008 Audi S8
2008 Lexus IS-F
2008 BMW M6
2008 Jaguar XF- Supercharged.

Those are in order of his choices. I can tell you the engine in the S8 was unreal and the exhaust note from the IS-F makes my chest rumble haha.

I was kind of disappointed with the XF, it was fast, it handled well. But build quality and material quality wasn't that fantastic. It started a rattle in the backseat, there was one in the front where the windshield met the dashboard, and the seam was coming apart on the sun visor.

He wasn't sure about whether or not he wanted to go with a coupe. He liked the looks of the M6 a lot but given the business he's in its very impractical. My dad is a man who makes up his mind very quickly, he just really does not like the M5 at all, he wouldnt even look at it haha. He knows what he likes and its not the M5.

He's now leaning more towards the S8, which would be absolutely amazing. I was shocked at how nice the interior came together, it was a proper mix of luxury, sport and gadgets. The way the nav screen hides is awesome, and the bang and olufson sound system was probably the best system i've ever heard in a vehicle. This is also a major factor of the car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_vYtm_2z9o

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Where's the CTS-V?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
When an IS-F's snotty rich owner can get beaten on the highway by a car that cost half its price, it's not worth it. I hope your dad sticks with the S8.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
S8 = Slice of Heaven :yup:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He is leaning towards the S8 right now, the IS-F is too small. I mentioned the CTS-V and he seems interested. He's just having a hard time wrapping his head around it for some reason, I dont know why. He sold cadillacs for 18 years and he was in the era when they started to go downhill, perhaps that image is still in his head. But i told him what they're doing to it and he might consider.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Greedy Cadillac/GM dealers will overprice the CTS-V when it comes out.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Fastest production sedan in the world. That's basically all you have to tell him. Oh and show him some pictures. That should deal the deal.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Greedy Cadillac/GM dealers will overprice the CTS-V when it comes out.
you fool, didn't you read? Goodcase's dad says price is not a factor :D

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Man, I think I am a minority, but a V10 sounds terrible to me. And, please, no disrespect to your pops if he buys the S8....it's a badass car! But I mean, from Ford's Triton V10 to the Viper...I am not a fan of the sound.

All those cars are sweet, but I don't think I could pull the trigger on one of those rides until I drove CTS-V. ;)

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
When an IS-F's snotty rich owner can get beaten on the highway by a car that cost half its price, it's not worth it. I hope your dad sticks with the S8.
doesnt this apply to MANY makes?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Yes, but my GTO can't take an SL65 AMG, or a Murcielago... but it did take an IS-F.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, some good news and some bad news.

The Bad news first as it leads into the good news:

He went into the Audi Dealership to work on numbers with the rep. He was quoted a price when we were there the first time that he was happy with. But when he went back the price was nearly 20K more. Needless to say he left.

The Good News:

He phoned me after that convo, and i told him to go the mercedes dealership to look at the Mercedes CLS65 AMG. He said he was already on his way to look at an S500. I just got a phone call from him and he said he was signing the papers on the CLS63 AMG. :D

·
Registered
5,424 Posts

He went into the Audi Dealership to work on numbers with the rep. He was quoted a price when we were there the first time that he was happy with. But when he went back the price was nearly 20K more. Needless to say he left.

The Good News:

He phoned me after that convo, and i told him to go the mercedes dealership to look at the Mercedes CLS65 AMG. He said he was already on his way to look at an S500. I just got a phone call from him and he said he was signing the papers on the CLS63 AMG. :D
Lucky nut....:dro: Hope he enjoys his new ride! :yup:

·
Registered
2,275 Posts

The Good News:

Excellent choice, has to be black though.

If I were in the market, I would have a hell of a time choosing between a CLS and a CTS-V.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
4 door coupes :confused:

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
the most fun looks like bmw and that jaguar.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts