GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why can't they make 4-door cars with rear windows that go all the way down? I don't have any kids and my friends would like to rest their arms on the door. My old dog would have loved it if the rear windows could have been rolled all the way down. He had to rest his head lightly on the glass to get a breeze (he was a good boy, I never had to worry about him jumping out). I know it's done to protect kids but we should have the option of not getting it. They have things where the driver can lock the windows entirely, so why can't we have an option where we can roll them all the way down and lock them halfway if need be? I know it's stupid but it always bothered me.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The Pontiac G6, Saturn Aura and new Chevrolet Malibu have rear door windows that go all the way down!

·
Banned
5,521 Posts
Usually the ones that only go halfway down are due to the rear wheel well shaped into the door. kinda hard to lower a window al the way in this case. :D

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
Usually the ones that only go halfway down are due to the rear wheel well shaped into the door. kinda hard to lower a window al the way in this case. :D
Correct! I can't believe you didn't realize this ttple!! It doesn't have anything to do with child safety- who told you that?

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
The windows that do go all the way down have a little window-lette that would still likely disallow a kid from being able to rest arms on the sill.

My Armada's rear windows go all the way down, but the doors are huge! lol

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Correct! I can't believe you didn't realize this ttple!! It doesn't have anything to do with child safety- who told you that?
That's news to me. I've always thought it was a safety issue for children. I remember having older cars that had the rear windows go all the way down. You learn something new every day.

·
Registered
822 Posts
The rear windows in my Canyon go all the way down.

"Child Saftey Windows" is a term invtented by a marketing team to sell a design limitation as a saftey feature.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
My wife's Freestyle's windows go all the way down, the LaCrosse, not so much. Yes, my four year old does not love that either.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
That's news to me. I've always thought it was a safety issue for children. I remember having older cars that had the rear windows go all the way down. You learn something new every day.
Ya he is right. So much of it in the styling of the door and the packaging and cutlines and such. There has to be a tradeoff somewhere sometimes. All of the wondow has to fit in there so if the contours dont match it wont go down any furthur.

The Astra only leaves un about an inch at most, closer to a half inch probably.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Unless something has changed, a Tahoe/Yukon rear window won't go all the way down, but it will in a Suburban/Yukon XL. This was due to the rear-wheel housing impeding on the doors.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
The rear windows on the 2008 Dodge Charger go all the way down, from what I observed tonight....

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Do you see what I see?" ... One Republic ... 'Stop and Stare'

·
Registered
903 Posts
The back window on my Malibu goes down almost all the way. The Taurus (1986-2007) only went down halfway.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
The simple way to get the window to open further is to make the fixed windowlette larger. But then you lose open air. It's a tradeoff.

As for old cars let you all the way, well I remember 2-door coupe/hardtop type cars let you roll the rear windows down all the way (wow!), I don't know how many regular 4 door cars let you do that however for the same reason (wheel contour)... then again many up to say the early 60's...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Like Rogue's Malibu, my Intrigue's rear windows go down almost all the way. I didn't know it was a design issue so I thought it was stupid to think it would save a child.

I'm glad to read that some cars do have rear windows that go all the way down.

I would think adding 2 inches to the wheelbase would allow other cars to do the same, or design a window that curves into the door.

·
Banned
1,083 Posts
The back window on my Malibu goes down almost all the way. The Taurus (1986-2007) only went down halfway.

Lol, this thread gives Rogue a good excuse to post pics of his car... :cool:

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
I didn't know it was a design issue...
Actually, you knew it.
You simply had never realized you knew it.

Anyone can look at the shape of a typical front door, and then look at the shape of a typical rear door, and realize that the window can usually physically go down only so much into the door in the case of the latter, while the former will allow it easily. :)

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Like Rogue's Malibu, my Intrigue's rear windows go down almost all the way. I didn't know it was a design issue so I thought it was stupid to think it would save a child.
Well if you want to look at admittedly stupid now mandatory complexities in window design, specifically power windows:

There must be a "bounce back" feature if you stick your arm/neck in the window then try to close it like an idiot

As well the buttons must not be rocker switches, but instead must be a "push down, pull up" design.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 21 Posts